Thoughts on best sounding duals?

taz44

LVC Member
Reaction score
Iam looking into piping my 1990 Mark VII LSC, and I want some opinons on the best sounding way to go?

taz44 said:
Iam looking into piping my 1990 Mark VII LSC, and I want some opinons on the best sounding way to go?

My first aftermarket system consisted of : Removing the cats, keeping the pre-cats, H-pipe to Flowmasters (40 series)..all in 2.5 inch piping ending in 3 inch tips.

OUTCOME = Mildly LOUD ..outside and inside..good sound though...just like the Mustang.

My second aftermarket system consisted of : removing the pre-cats, Pro-chamber, Flowmasters (40 series)...all in 2.5 inch piping ending in 3 inch tips.

OUTCOME = Obnoxiously LOUD...outside and inside...great sound...just like the mustang only louder...damn did I say it was LOUD...trust me it was LOUD.

My latest aftermarket system consists of : No cats, X-pipe, Stainless Steel Magnaflows...all in 2.5 inch piping ending in Stainless Steel Magnaflow 3 inch tips.

OUTCOME = Extremely Mildly LOUD past 3500 rpms..not obnoxious though. Below 3500 rpms all is quiet inside...however outside, people around you know there is something going on under your hood. Old school sound...not like the Flowmasters at all. The older crowd loves the sound. I am still not used to it...so I cannot say that I love it, but I definitely do not hate it.

Bottomline, if you want the growl of the mustang, stick with the Flowmasters. My next choice of mufflers will be the Flowmaster Super 40's..suppose to have the characteristics of the Magnaflows, however, sounding like the Mustangs during heavy throttle-ing and/or WOT.

Hope this helps..

Bill

Last edited:
What kind of sound are you looking for? There are so many options, but if you give a better idea of what you are looking for, we might be better able to point you in the right direction.

How about this...

If i remove the precats, keep the backcats and remove the mufflers, run 2.5 in. pipe and end with 3 in. tips?

taz44 said:
If i remove the precats, keep the backcats and remove the mufflers, run 2.5 in. pipe and end with 3 in. tips?

Just get a whole new system. An x pipe will help you down low. And I don't think keeping the 2" pipes up front will help with any kind of power gains. The only way for power gains. Is to do the whole thing. If you want the sound just get the flowmasters made for the M7 and stick them up there. Direct fit!

No Mufflers No Power

taz44 said:
iam not looking for power gains......just going for sound here!

The get the direct bolt up Flowmasters. Then you don't have to worry about anything. Go to cardomain.com/id/sifrino3. Page Four, go down about half way anf the flowmaster section should be there with part numbers. I believe one side of your xhaust is 2" and the other is 2.25". All you need is the parts number. Then search the web using Flowmaster ##### and you should be able to order right away. I would use Summitracing.com. Just because they are very trust worthy. Some sites gives me the goose bumps. (Worry about my order from crappy sites.)

Dude, if you are just goin for sound, it can be affordable, Jeg's offroad H pipe 2.5 inch is $109, 2 Flowmaster super 40's are $160 (note: i did say Super 40s, the badboy muffler), and LX tails (if you want em) are around $100 a set, all you'd need then would be a few minor modifications, some tools, or pay someone to do it, get some exhaust tips, you'd be set.

throw an off road pipe on there, get the magnaflows from NYC LSC and your all set !!

Check out mustangexhaust.com for sound clips

Whoops

Looks like I didn't add my two cents.
That's rare. The full blown pics are at: http://www.lscclub.org/cars/oldschool2/

oldschool2033t.jpg
oldschool2036t.jpg
oldschool2045t.jpg

oldschool2046t.jpg
oldschool2047t.jpg
oldschool2048t.jpg

oldschool2049t.jpg

MAT88GT said:
looking through the inlet toward the outlet of a hooker aerochamber muffler...try that with a flowmaster
Um Dude. You're comparing apples to oranges. Both are great products but each has specific attributes to achieve different results.

Flow Master series 30s are perfect for me because they provide racing performance while remaining street legal (in Pennsylvania) and not setting off theneighbors' car alarms.

Almost daily, I see cars with 1.8 liter engines and mufflers the size of tree trunks and these things sound like a lawnmower on steroids, setting off car alarms almost constantly.

Mufflers are like religion; it's what you were raised with that means the most to you. Enjoy what you got :)

Last edited:
I copped some Warlocks from some dude and them :q:q:q:qs flow nice. You can "uncap" them and they are wicked. Dig it.

JoeyLincolnMK8 said:
i like borlas!

I've had Borlas on previous cars and want one for my LS V8, from what I'm catching here and there, they work ok on the LS too.....

Where are Borla's sourced?

no one has mentioned this yet, but if you're using a stock engine just use the stock H-pipe and cats and run 2-1/4 straights all the way back. No mufflers. You'll love the sound I promise. Really sporty!

Members online

Back