This LS can surprise when it wants to.

02V8Sport

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
On my way into Indiana today it was a nice brisk 50 degrees. I get off at my exit and see a 05 Mustang GT sitting at the red light. I decided why not, lets see what the LS has today. We ran off the line and I was keeping up but in SST my car shifted from 1st to 3rd by itself so he went past me.

He looked over at me again wondering what the hell was keeping up with him, so we ran again from 60 to about 125mph on a roll. The LS did not budge, I stayed door to door with him the entire time. He had a 5 speed because he revved at the line and you could see him shifting through the gears from the roll too.

Sometimes this car pulls through.

Cool!! I've often wondered if a somewhat modded 2nd Gen could hold it's own against the newer Mustang...
BTW- I have been looking for a upgrade, time for the 02 LSE to go and time for a 04/05 LSE to come on in! (Hopefully this time it will be black)

The 2nd gen must be programmed differently. In the first gen, the trans will not upshift by itself in SST mode.

Where at in Indiana? The only 05+ Mustang in this area of Indiana that will race you is the state trooper. :rolleyes:

Mark

n SST my car shifted from 1st to 3rd by itself

Won't happen. You must have accidentally bumped the shifter twice and inadvertently called for a double shift. If you push forward hard enough the shifter "can" register a double shift. In any case, full blown automatic will give the best acceleration times.

full blown automatic will give the best acceleration times.

Really? Is that a 2nd gen thing? I wouldnt think so but my 2000 in SST tosses me back more than full blown automatic.

Won't happen. You must have accidentally bumped the shifter twice and inadvertently called for a double shift. If you push forward hard enough the shifter "can" register a double shift. In any case, full blown automatic will give the best acceleration times.

Stock tuning=probably

but it all depends on the tuning. I am consistantly faster using SST.

I keep my LS mechanically sound and its a slug off the line in auto.

I can feel the pull with every shift while I am shifting in SST. I never got a tune.

SST is faster in the first and second gens... then full automatic...

I runa tune from Torrie and it happens only when I shift too close to redline in 1st gear switching into 2nd. Wont switch w/o touching the shifter, only around redline in 1st gear.

Its in the tune. My Gen1 double shifted sometimes on stock gearing and almost all the time with 4.10s with Torries tunes. I had to stop using SST.

ILLS never double shifts on me.

It may have to do with where the shift points are set. Torries tune they are to early in D5 so maybe in SST the car thinks you higher than you are in comparison. Torries tunes wouldn't allow me to cahnge the shift points.

ILLS tunes shifts right on the money and I can adjust it also, but didn't really need to....1mph here and there.

Members online

No members online now.
Back