This is crazy. I'm really not making this stuff up...

sprocket

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So I decide to get my Eldorado out of the garage. It's had a problem with the climate control computer and I've been waiting to find one. In the meantime I rigged the vacuum lines so I have defrost. Anyway, I put it all back together and test drove it. Engine temp rises. No heat. Engine temp drops, heat comes on. Drive it home. Low on coolant. Way low. Open radiator cap, not quite slow enough and make a mess. Coolant looks bad. Like there might be oil in it. Fill radiator and overflow. Test drive. Throw serpentine belt. I guess the coolant may have sprayed more than I thought. Drive 1 mile home. Buy new belt and install. Top off coolant.

Temp is now bouncing around more than it used to. I need to test coolant for hydrocarbons. Could have a blown head gasket.:( There is no evidence of a leak on the garage floor.

Did I mention that when I drove my Toreador MK8 to the auto parts store it wouldn't start when I came out? The starter didn't turn. I don't even think I heard a click. After a couple of tries the power was back. This is completely new. Battery connections look good. It had power; the lights, radio, and stuff worked and still did when I turned the key, but the starter didn't turn. It' started fine the next couple of times.

Did I mention that when I drove my Toreador MK8 to the auto parts store it wouldn't start when I came out? The starter didn't turn. I don't even think I heard a click. After a couple of tries the power was back. This is completely new. Battery connections look good. It had power; the lights, radio, and stuff worked and still did when I turned the key, but the starter didn't turn. It' started fine the next couple of times.

Happened to my 97 sometimes. All I would do is reinsert the key and it would work. My Anti-theft light used to blink with it so it might have been the connection to the car. I know Gen I don't have the new theft system but not to sure about the 96 with OBD II.

My wife asked me how long the Cadillac has been in the garage, I told her like three or four months. She said "couldn't the coolant have just evaporated?". I said "uhh..well...uhmmm...that's a good question!"

In a sealed system I wouldn't think it would, but this car has a radiator cap and an overflow tank with just a snap on lid. Therefore I think the coolant could evaporate out of the overflow. It also could have a slight leak I'm not seeing, but I will do a hydrocarbon test anyway.

Anyway enough about my Cadillac on the Mark VIII forum. The Eldorado forum is dead though.

I'll post a pic of mine. I'm pretty sure it's OK. I drove it to the car show in Minneapolis and the temp was fine.

Mine is an '88 which came with a throttle body injected 4.5. That engine was replaced with a low mileage 4.9 from '93. The 4.9 had port fuel injection, plus that intake was fire damaged so Tim and I swapped intakes and used the intake from the 4.5. So now I have the only TBI 4.9 I have ever seen. It has Chevy 5.0 injectors and I made the FPR adjustable. There's no such thing as TBI 4.9 injectors.

My Eldo. I've never seen another one quite like it. I've since turned the whitewalls in on the back tires.
010.jpg

my friend had one just like that, except it was a four door, and his coolant system turned into one of those water fountain shows like they have in Vegas

Members online

No members online now.
Back