This ever happen toanyone.

scott61023

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2001 V8 Sport. I am driving and all of a sudden my advancetrack light comes on. Then the radio truns off. Then the ABS and air bag light come on. I am driving at night then my dash lights get dim and the headlights turn off. Now I am 5 miles from home and hoping I can get home in the dark. I just get the car home and now it won't restart. Anyone think it is the alternator? Anyone ever had to do this on theirs? $ anyone?

Thanks in advance for all replies

Scott.

I have had my advance trac light come on for no reason, and then go back off. But I have not had the rest of those issues. It obviously is electrical, but I couldn't be much help. Luckily this forum is packed with guys who can!

scott61023 said:
I have a 2001 V8 Sport. I am driving and all of a sudden my advancetrack light comes on. Then the radio truns off. Then the ABS and air bag light come on. I am driving at night then my dash lights get dim and the headlights turn off. Now I am 5 miles from home and hoping I can get home in the dark. I just get the car home and now it won't restart. Anyone think it is the alternator? Anyone ever had to do this on theirs? $ anyone?

Thanks in advance for all replies

Scott.
It sounds to me like your alternator. Whenever your accessories start turning off like that, it means the alternator isn't running your car's electronics........your battery is. Your battery is there simply for starting the car and from then on, it is your alternator I believe that provides the power to your car. When your alternator goes bad, it draws its power from your battery, thus causing your car to not start. You are lucky you made it home.

The installation of the alternator is pretty easy......it is located on the bottom right hand side of the engine. Remove your air intake tube and release the tension on your belt on the tensioner pulley. Jack the car up and remove your splash sheild. Slide the belt off of the alternator and unbolt the alternator and disconnect the electrical connectors (one of them is a clip......the other is bolted on) and bring your alternator down. To install, reverse the procedure. Good luck!

This is something I would recommend doing yourself with a set of wrenches and a pry bar (my alternator was kind of hard to get out with my bolts removed so I had to use a pry bar to ease it out. You may also need to install the pulley from your old alternator onto your new one so you will need a puller for that. The part number for you is: XW4Z10346BA. If you were to get this done at a shop, you would have to pay 1.2 hours of labor on top of the $275 for the alternator (so probably close to $450).

DLS8K said:
It sounds to me like your alternator. Whenever your accessories start turning off like that, it means the alternator isn't running your car's electronics........your battery is. Your battery is there simply for starting the car and from then on, it is your alternator I believe that provides the power to your car. When your alternator goes bad, it draws its power from your battery, thus causing your car to not start. You are lucky you made it home.

The installation of the alternator is pretty easy......it is located on the bottom right hand side of the engine. Remove your air intake tube and release the tension on your belt on the tensioner pulley. Jack the car up and remove your splash sheild. Slide the belt off of the alternator and unbolt the alternator and disconnect the electrical connectors (one of them is a clip......the other is bolted on) and bring your alternator down. To install, reverse the procedure. Good luck!

This is something I would recommend doing yourself with a set of wrenches and a pry bar (my alternator was kind of hard to get out with my bolts removed so I had to use a pry bar to ease it out. You may also need to install the pulley from your old alternator onto your new one so you will need a puller for that. The part number for you is: XW4Z10346BA. If you were to get this done at a shop, you would have to pay 1.2 hours of labor on top of the $275 for the alternator (so probably close to $450).

I bought an extended warranty for Auto Warranty Broker. I have 5 year or 100,000 miles worth of coverage. Now is as good a time as any to test it out and see how good it is. I had a feeling it was the alternator. But I have not had one go in about 15 years. I am just glad I go t it home.

Thanks again... Scott

definatly altenator o had this happen to antoher car the same exact thing and it turned out to be the altenator.

itsnotmydaddys said:
definatly altenator o had this happen to antoher car the same exact thing and it turned out to be the altenator.

Well I had it to my mechanic today and he couldn't find anything wrong. My guess is the voltage regulator suck and now it is workig Ok. I hope this does not repeate itself!

Scott.

Members online

No members online now.
Back