Thinking of Buying a Lincoln LS

Y

YellowMenace1988

Dear LS Nation:

I am considering buying a Lincoln LS from 2002, with between 10-30,000 miles, among the hundreds for sale across America.

What do you LIKE about this car, and what are the shortcomings/weaknesses or idiosyncrasies that I need to be aware of before buying one? When I look over a particular LS, what are the things which I should pay special attention to, which might mean the difference between a great deal and a lemon or one which has been ridden hard?

A great forum. I look forward to your remarks.

SRB

Welcome. I've had my 2001 LS going on 3 years this May. I bought mine used. It was a lease turn in so it had very low mileage on it. Considering 2000 was the first year of the LS it had it's fair share of problems. The 2001-2002 model LS's improved with 2003 getting the huge upgrades. If I were in the market for an LS now I'd have to consider a 2003 and up model. There were over 500 improvements to the LS in 2003 which included more HP and a quieter ride. However, if you're considering a 2002 consider getting one of these rare finds, 5 speed V6 (last year Lincoln made the 5 speed) or the LSE version. The LSE version is nothing more than an appearance package. I converted my LS to the LSE with the OEM body kit.

I really can't say what things to watch out for because it's pretty hit or miss on most cars. I've experienced a PCM re-flash, PCM replacement, 4 fuel injectors replaced, DATC replacement, both rear door window regulators and half shaft replacement. Each of those items were addressed in a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin). These items will not be readily visible but you can ask a Ford\Lincoln dealership to pull an Oasis report on the car. This will show if there was any repair to the car at a Ford\Lincoln dealership. It only gives you though six months of service log but it should show if any TSB's were performed.

I have currently 70K miles on my car and it's been relatively maintenance free other than some warranty work. There isn't many surprises to repairing the LS since most are well documented here and other places on the web. If you find one with a warranty that is the way to go. As for an extended warranty that's up to you. Also, get a CarFax on the car you plan to buy. This will tell you quite a bit about the car's history.

I have to say I love my car. I'm sure once you drive one you'll fall in love with it too.

Ken

Members online

No members online now.
Back