Think Im gonna cut open my hood..

Missing Linc'

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Yea I know most of you are gonna think Im retarded or something for damaging the "lines" of the LS but this car has some crazy heat soak issues and it needs some better airflow in that engine bay. So at first I wanted to do some kind of a wide cowl induction style, then I thought about just some small extractor vents on the sides, then fender vents, then a hood scoop but for the cheapness of how much the heat extractor is for the GT500 thats whats gonna go on. The TCI converter is on pause right now(broke my truck, LS = DD now) and I can cut the hood open and 3M tape this thing in, probably within a few hours. I want some opinions tho, I plan on putting it towards the windshield/rear of the hood to pull air out. I think it measures something like 32 inches so its quite wide and should work very well as opposed to nothing. QuikLS if you have any pointers on cutting open the hood please step in, I believe your the only person to have done this so far.

gt500vent.jpg

Oh and if you say yes to this mod, Id like an opinion on paint matched(ceramic white I think it is) or leave it flat black to go with the Mach 1 lip and factory GFX..

it is going to be very tough to fit that.

one reason it the lines of the hood - chances are the curvature will be slightly different - so matching the hood to the lip will be tough.

the other piece to remember - the LS hood is 3-ply in some spots. so you'll have to think through how to seal that up so water does not get into it. You are gonna find the the opening in the vent will not be cleared of the hood in some spots - so you'll have to figure out what to do about that.

"You are gonna find the the opening in the vent will not be cleared of the hood in some spots"

What? sorry for this dumb illustration but like V= that? V is the vent and the = is layers of the hood? So blocking it so to speak? And if it does, I can trim back on some of the other layers. The underside can look like complete crap for all I care, as long as it works. Functionality here not show stuff, all tho I do want the outside to be flush. I just cant really find any other vents that I like that are cheap. This thing costs $31.

also wanna make sure that it will clear the top of then eng, not sure on the LS but most cars dont have alot of room between the top of the eg and the hood

right -there are gonna be spots where the inner plys block the opening. not only do you have to worry about the fitting but making sure water doesn't get in.

Ill just keep some plastic wrap or duct tape in my car in case I get caught in the rain?

In all reality tho theres not much else to do in order to get heat out of the engine bay. If I fab some kind of tray or something to evacuate the rain/water away from the top of the engine its gonna cancel out a lot of the actual heat extracting purpose of the thing, dont you think?

this could turn out pretty cool. id find a junked hood to try tit on. one thats damaged but not it that area or something. i always thought it would be cool to make the factory hood a little taller in the middle like a cowl style hood. woul dhave to cut it out and extend it up. good luck

You could always try and run a ram air or CAI type of application. Place a plastic tube or whatever you wanna use from the lower grille and route it up to the engine. Instead of the tube going anywhere just leave it open ended and let the cool air blow onto the engine. I know it doesn't help to much when you are sitting still, But it will direct cooler air over the coils when the car is moving. And you can use screen to keep debris from going into the tube. On Ebay there is auminum intake pipe for 99cents. Just look up lincoln ls intake.

You could always try and run a ram air or CAI type of application. Place a plastic tube or whatever you wanna use from the lower grille and route it up to the engine. Instead of the tube going anywhere just leave it open ended and let the cool air blow onto the engine. I know it doesn't help to much when you are sitting still, But it will direct cooler air over the coils when the car is moving. And you can use screen to keep debris from going into the tube. On Ebay there is auminum intake pipe for 99cents. Just look up lincoln ls intake.

This has nothing to do with getting air to the coils..?? The heat extractor idea is to keep the entire engine bay cooler so that Im not losing as much power from dumb heat soak, on hot days my car sucks a$$ coming out of the hole more than normally. That and its just plain old stupid hot under there for no reason. You would think an aluminum everything would be a lot better but no, my 84' trans am with cast iron everything, no hood vents or front grille/like solid bumper emits less heat. Ridiculous.

And I deffinately do not want tubes running all over my car, thats some ricer crap, Id fab an airdamn out of aluminum or fiberglass before I did something like that.

The cowl might actually be easier except cowls draw air in not out which could still be beneficial but I wanna work on getting some of the heat out first. Ive removed a lot of the shroud and some other random crap that doesnt really look like it serves a purpose from in front of and around the radiator.

Maybe something smaller, placed further on the sides so that water wont drain directly onto the engine?

Well if you run the ram air type system that would move cooler air over the coils thus removing the hot air forcing it out the back of the hood. And just having an intake tube is not ricer crap. The trans am and various other american muscle cars were the first to utilize ram air, not ricers. And as for the water getting in you would have to place a few screens through out. Most CAI on other cars run right down to the ground in the lower grille. They are designed to not pick up water. And besides this mod would be cheaper and easier to try before you go and start cutting your hood apart. You can even place an air filter in the tube. This would do exactly what you are looking to do, by moving hot air out of the engine bay. And the trans am you had came with a huge opening under the nose with an air deflector forcing air from under the car right onto the engine.

I think this is an awesome idea. If you cut it correctly I can see this being a sweet mod.

Yea rain may be a problem, especially with the slope inward like that. I am trying to think of a way to divert the rain, maybe even mold a little lip onto there that angles to one of the sides and run a small rubber hose?

Haha sounds tedious and too minor for something so large... I dunno, but I like the idea, alot.

I would sooner address why the engine is running that hot before cutting wholes in the hood. Seems like there may be a problem that cold air isn't necessarily going to fix. Fan going out? etc...

The engine runs at normal operating temps but everything in there heat soaks so bad if your really getting on it that you can feel the low end performance decreasing.

Ram Air is air going into the engine not into the engine bay... :confused:

The rear of the hood is sealed therefore "moving cold air over the coils", which is no concern to me whatsoever, it still isnt gonna vent and that fresh air will still become ambient air and warm up. Ive put 20K on my car since Nov 08' and they, for the most part, very hard miles, Im about to touch 60K total and dont have the slightest miss or hesitation. My coils are fine! Im not trying to get more air in there for the coils. Im trying to get rid of the massive heat soak issue thats not letting my CAI do its job.

My Trans Am like all the others from those years. have an air damn that directs air up into the radiator, not directly into the engine bay. Im gonna take out the insulation crap today to possibly plan this out.

The engine runs at normal operating temps but everything in there heat soaks so bad if your really getting on it that you can feel the low end performance decreasing.

Ram Air is air going into the engine not into the engine bay... :confused:

The rear of the hood is sealed therefore "moving cold air over the coils", which is no concern to me whatsoever, it still isnt gonna vent and that fresh air will still become ambient air and warm up. Ive put 20K on my car since Nov 08' and they, for the most part, very hard miles, Im about to touch 60K total and dont have the slightest miss or hesitation. My coils are fine! Im not trying to get more air in there for the coils. Im trying to get rid of the massive heat soak issue thats not letting my CAI do its job.

My Trans Am like all the others from those years. have an air damn that directs air up into the radiator, not directly into the engine bay. Im gonna take out the insulation crap today to possibly plan this out.

Have you considered maybe real fender vents ...alowing air flow to escape? It would involve alot of work but it would prob help the stagnent air issue?

Missing Link you just don't get it. When you force that cool air into the engine bay that hot air has to go somewhere. This moddified ram air that i'm talking about will help with your heat soak issue. I understand 100% what you are looking to do, I don't think you are following me 100% or you might think i'm talking about something else. But either way what I have suggested will help with your heat soak issue and get cooler air on the engine as well. I have an LS and I have the same problems you have. I'm modifying a tube to bring fresh cool air into my CAI from under the car and you don't even notice that its their. I haven't done a final install yet due to my back issues it has been put on hold.

Missing Link you just don't get it. When you force that cool air into the engine bay that hot air has to go somewhere. This moddified ram air that i'm talking about will help with your heat soak issue. I understand 100% what you are looking to do, I don't think you are following me 100% or you might think i'm talking about something else. But either way what I have suggested will help with your heat soak issue and get cooler air on the engine as well. I have an LS and I have the same problems you have. I'm modifying a tube to bring fresh cool air into my CAI from under the car and you don't even notice that its their. I haven't done a final install yet due to my back issues it has been put on hold.

I am doin the same thing. Air duct from underneath. With a sealed off aluminum healt shield.

I saw a car on here that actually has a finished project, he used what looks like a flex hose to run the cone into the grille. He has post in the m5 spoiler post that is going around. He has the all silver ls with the cleared corners and black ground effects. l.ls i believe.

Members online

No members online now.
Back