Thermostat and Cooling System Flush.

djKale

Dearly Departed Friend
Reaction score
I'm gonna be flushing the cooling system and replacing the thermostat and I'm wondering if there is anything special I should know before tackling this project??? I plan on using the standard 180 degree unit. I know the manual recommends flushing the heater core separately after doing the radiator and block. Any tips that would save my knuckles or a little time would be appreciated. :)

Kale

As far as the thermostat, you need at least 18"-24" of 1/4" ratchet with a number 10mm socket lying on your back to really be able to get the nuts loose.

MonsterMark said:
As far as the thermostat, you need at least 18"-24" of 1/4" ratchet with a number 10mm socket lying on your back to really be able to get the nuts loose.

I ended up using about 15" of extensions (2 six inchers and a three incher), on a 3/8" breaker bar - that's how tight they were! I really couldn't go with anything longer since I didn't use jackstands or ramps. I just pumped the car up as high as it could go, which is high enough to fit a four gallon bucket underneath the radiator (barely) and just enough room for me to work.

I hit a few snags, but it worked out just fine. It might make for a good tech article someday. I just don't have the time or energy right now...

Kale

If you get the time, could you toss together a lil how to instruction guide on this for the upcoming How to section?

Ya, I really meant 3/8" but I'm a dipstick. LOL. Even a 1/2" would be preferable with a 2 foot helper bar slid over the wrench. Man, do they torque those things to 150lbs at the factory? Nobody has ever commented that they come off easy. And then to top it off, the whole fluid in the face, running down the arm thing is even better. LOL.

Members online

Back