the pits...

eL eS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a lot of miles on my LS, well 108k, and 99 percent of them are hwy which had resulted in some bad pitting of my fog light lenses.

Over the weekend I took a leap of faith and tackeled the pits. I started out with an 800 grit paper which might have been a bit coarse for the job. I then moved to a 1000 grit and then 1200 on to a 1600 grit. I then polished the lese off with a product similar to scratchX.

The 800 seemed a bit coarse at first but they cleaned up very well as I progressed to a finer grit. I do a lot of work with plexi and have used rougher grits on the platics so I wasnt concerned with polishing it out. I think the 1000 would have been sufficiently coarse to cut the pits and scrtahces.

I did the entire project with them installed. It would have been easier on the back and knees if I would have removed them plus had I taken them out I could have put them on the buffing wheel and really worked them over but they look great as is.

I replaced the bulbs a while back with the Siler Stars that are used on the high beam, I think they are the 9005, but the lense was too pitted to really let em shine. Well you can tan under them now.

I wish I would of had the sense to take photos along the way. The results are fantastic. I had a similar problem with my Contour SVT head light lenses hazing up and used 1600 and polishing compund to remedy that problem.

Have any of you faced this problem yet?

Hi EL, Yes mine are pretty bad also. I got some gritty type polish from one of my body guys here at the shop. It's stricktly for plastic, but I haven't tried yet. Just something that gets put off. I never seem to have time to play with the car.

Ahh man you and the car need a get away... Some good alone time to get back in touch with each others needs. It really is the only way you can repair a relationship that is in direpair such as the one you are in now. You go home tonight and tell that car that this weekend it is just the two of you.

eL eS said:
Ahh man you and the car need a get away... Some good alone time to get back in touch with each others needs. It really is the only way you can repair a relationship that is in direpair such as the one you are in now. You go home tonight and tell that car that this weekend it is just the two of you.
I wish, my wife already has me doing honey-do's.... I' ll get around to it. mabey when our temperature hit's 98 degrees...That's usually it.

Members online

No members online now.
Back