The Ford "Chug" Sound And Exhaust Smell

Turboguy

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone who's owned lots of Fords knows the Ford engine "chug chug" sound at low rpm.

My 140,000 mile LS is chugging louder now for some reason, and if I don't hit the recirc button for cabin air when starting car, it blows exhaust smell in.
I recently had the intake replaced, but problem didn't start until months after that. Otherwise car runs perfectly, no codes, new cats and O2 sensors et .

What could I check that would cause this sound and smell?

Anyone who's owned lots of Fords knows the Ford engine "chug chug" sound at low rpm.

My 140,000 mile LS is chugging louder now for some reason, and if I don't hit the recirc button for cabin air when starting car, it blows exhaust smell in.
I recently had the intake replaced, but problem didn't start until months after that. Otherwise car runs perfectly, no codes, new cats and O2 sensors et .

What could I check that would cause this sound and smell?

I've had Ford products exclusively for the last 27 years and have no idea of what you speak.....

Hmm, I'll check that Telco.

In my experience with Fords they make a distinctive sound. Dunno if it has to do with firing order or ? But ours like my LS and our old 1980s F-150 both do it.

get under it and see if you can move the exhaust up and down. Mine is the same way due to loose studs (where cat and manifold connect) i need to replace mine due to being completely frozen up and will snap if I try to tighten

Members online

No members online now.
Back