The BIG project

unity

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, its not a Mark. I no longer have one. But I wanted to share!

My current daily driver is a 1991 Mercedes 560 SEL. A 5.6 liter powered V8. Its a great car, but its very basic in features. It may have been the best they offered, but it was the last year of a 12 year production run! It was designed in the 70s! Compared to the Mark VIII released just a short while later, it was a glorified calculator with the Mark being a modern computer.

But now I have my tech "fix". A car given to me for my b-day that needs some work. It all started with a loud "tick/squeak/tick/tick/squeak" from the valve train. Being familiar with the notorious 95 Mark model year, I suspected a broke valve spring. Nope. Not by a long shot. The cam was not being oiled well enough. The oiler bar had lifted up as banjo bolts came free. One lobe is in rough shape. The other side was far worse though. So far I need two cams and several rockers. And about a billion gaskets when it all goes back together.

1992 BMW 750il with 5.0l V12 - rated for only 250hp, limited electronically (well, it was).

DSC_4933.jpg

DSC_4934.jpg

Good luck.

Hope rest of engine is ok

Thanks. Ya, the bottom end is probably okay. Its built well there. Right now I have a couple gallons of kerosene sitting in it. Will drain and refill to purge any bad oil and contaminants.

Tempted to re-grind the cams though. They are not too far gone and doing so would greatly speed up the time this thing gets back on the road. The cams are very, very hard to come buy on a budget. New ones are over $1,200 each!

Members online

Back