Takes FOREVER to fill the gas tank

jgbigguy

LVC Member
Reaction score
Just bought a 2004 LS. When i go to fill up the tank with gas i cant put in more then .2 gal in at a time before the filler neck fills up and shuts off the pump. I believe this is a case of some vapor releif valve stuck shut or vapor line clogged shut rather then there actually being something in the filler neck to clog it. Any ideas where to begin looking to fix this? Its getting cold here in MI and im not about to spend half an hour standing in the cold filling up my tank.

Have you tried pulling the nozzle out some, and not putting the pump at full speed? I know it doesn't fix the issue, but it's helped me out since I'm too cheap to deal with mine acting like that.

On my 06' Fusion I can't leave the pump unattended or it will click off at any speed. I have to lift and pull the nozzle out some and occasionally it still clicks off. I found that some gas station are worse than others and some barely do it at all.

yes ive tried pulling it out a little bit...flipping it upside down, sideways you name it. I have to fill it up at a slower rate then most pumps are capable of pumping...Like im trying to squeeze just enough to get it to pump as slow as possible...most the time that's even too fast, or too hard to hold like that in the freezing cold for more then a few mins.

When I had my car at the muffler shop, I was under the car and was surprised how small the fill tube going to the tank was. When I get gas, I don't put the nozzle in very far and I can pretty much put the gas in with the nozzle handle full bore. If the nozzle is in too far, I can't run it in very fast.

As I said before...

1. Possibilities are: (a) foreign object in filler neck (b) rollover valve stuck (c) gas tank vent valve fault - should give check engine light (d) gas tank vent clogged - often by spiders.

I think it's the vent solinoid or crushed vacuum line. It's fairly common on Toyotas and causes the same issue. It should be pretty easy to test. If I have time tomorrow, I'll see where it is in the manual.

"(d) gas tank vent clogged - often by spiders"
This happened to me after owning my car for about a year. Bastards wouldn't cover it under warrenty either.

"(d) gas tank vent clogged - often by spiders"
This happened to me after owning my car for about a year. Bastards wouldn't cover it under warrenty either.

sucks... but why would it be covered under warranty?

Experienced this issue a couple times in the past but it was only at a specific gas station. Didn't happen anywhere else.

well after some investigation by my mechanic we've ruled out clogged filler neck, clogged vent, and bad vent valve...all work free and normal. We ran out of time but he was saying something about a float in the tank might be stuck...ring any bells for anyone?

well after some investigation by my mechanic we've ruled out clogged filler neck, clogged vent, and bad vent valve...all work free and normal. We ran out of time but he was saying something about a float in the tank might be stuck...ring any bells for anyone?

(b) rollover valve stuck

(b) rollover valve stuck

fuel pump / reader (float) and fuel sender shouldn't have anything to do with this issue (that i can think of). if its not the roll over valve sounds like you'll have to remove neck and or tank to find it....or buy a funnel :D

fuel pump / reader (float) and fuel sender shouldn't have anything to do with this issue (that i can think of). if its not the roll over valve sounds like you'll have to remove neck and or tank to find it....or buy a funnel :D
he was saying something about if the float is somehow stuck at the top or something it could be sending the signal to close the vent valve. He's a GM guy though so he's not as 100% about this car as he has been in the past. What is the rollover valve, where is it and what does it do?

he was saying something about if the float is somehow stuck at the top or something it could be sending the signal to close the vent valve. He's a GM guy though so he's not as 100% about this car as he has been in the past. What is the rollover valve, where is it and what does it do?

It should be where the fill tube attaches to the tank. It's purpose is to prevent gasoline from spilling out if you roll the car over.

I don't think that the car closes the vent if either of the senders indicates full, but there's no need to guess there. Does your fuel gauge work? If so, neither float is stuck.

It should be where the fill tube attaches to the tank. It's purpose is to prevent gasoline from spilling out if you roll the car over.

I don't think that the car closes the vent if either of the senders indicates full, but there's no need to guess there. Does your fuel gauge work? If so, neither float is stuck.
yes my fuel guage does work. Is the valve accessable just by pulling the rubber fill tube off of the tank? or i guess should i be able to see it/feel it from there?

Im having the same issue, im hoping that its the gas tank vent being clogged. I do have spider problems form time to time such as one hanging over my face as i drive sometimes...I need to know where the vent is located, is it the little hole just below the actually gas tank? I tried clearing it with air and a tube but it worked for a few fills but stopped after awhile.

Having the same problem with my 2002 LS. Putting pump handle in upside down USUALLY helps.

Members online

No members online now.
Back