Sway bar bushings- sport or non-sport

Damaged

LVC Member
Reaction score
YES, I have done a search, just to get that out of the way.

I have an 02 LS V8. It has the wood steering wheel and shift knob... which means non-sport. But on the window sticker from when I bought the car ( used but from a Lincoln dealer) it lists sport-tuned suspension.

So..... doe this mean I need the 30MM bushings or do I need the 28MM ones?

Thanks,
Dennis

Joe- it does not have the sport +/- shifter. But does list the following....
7.5 X 17" 5 Spoke Chrome Alum Wheel
P235/50VR17 A/S BSW Tyre
17" Mini Spare Tyre
Less Immersion Heater
Special Suspension
3.9L Dohc EFI NA V8 Gas*HP
With Anti-Spin Traction System
Less Manual Shift Auto Trans

YES, I have done a search, just to get that out of the way.

I have an 02 LS V8. It has the wood steering wheel and shift knob... which means non-sport. But on the window sticker from when I bought the car ( used but from a Lincoln dealer) it lists sport-tuned suspension.

So..... doe this mean I need the 30MM bushings or do I need the 28MM ones?

Thanks,
Dennis

Joe- it does not have the sport +/- shifter. But does list the following....
7.5 X 17" 5 Spoke Chrome Alum Wheel
P235/50VR17 A/S BSW Tyre
17" Mini Spare Tyre
Less Immersion Heater
Special Suspension
3.9L Dohc EFI NA V8 Gas*HP
With Anti-Spin Traction System
Less Manual Shift Auto Trans

You should have the sport suspension. Do your seats have a basket-weave pattern? Some '02's were Premium Sports; they were sport underneath and non-sport visibly (with the exception of chrome 17" wheels).

yeas, seats (not seatbacks)do have a weaved pattern and it does have the 17" chrome sport wheels

COOL! Thanks Joe! Any idea how common the "Premium Sports" are? Seems like a best of both worlds kind of thing, I guess...

COOL! Thanks Joe! Any idea how common the "Premium Sports" are? Seems like a best of both worlds kind of thing, I guess...

No idea.
My 06 is a premium sport, but it does have the sport shifter. I'm not sure about the "best of both worlds." To me, it's just a sport plus wood trim.
Looks like you missed out on AdvanceTrac. Oh well...

When Lincoln introduced this array in '02 my suspicion was they needed a place to dispose of all the non-SST shifters, wood shift knobs & wheels and the bumpers with the chrome inserts. I believe they underestimated the popularity of the sport array.

No idea.
My 06 is a premium sport, but it does have the sport shifter. I'm not sure about the "best of both worlds." To me, it's just a sport plus plasti-wood trim.
Looks like you missed out on AdvanceTrac. Oh well...

there, fixed it for you... lol

and I definitely would call more exterior chrome the best of anything!

there, fixed it for you... lol

and I definitely would not call more exterior chrome the best of anything!

One fix calls for another...

Anyway, the gen II wood is supposed to be real wood. I have to admit that it doesn't look extremely real.

Anyway, the gen II wood is supposed to be real wood. I have to admit that it doesn't look extremely real.

That's one design element I can't stand on my car. All the fake plasti wood caca. Yuck! I'll eventually get around to plasti dipping it.

hahaha WTF that was actually what I was meaning to type!!! thanks for the help.

it does look a lot better than the flat look the 1st gens have. I would hope its real because it does look 10x better than some of the real wood that I have seen in some of the non lexus toyota's.

The 2nd gen does use real wood; as opposed to the wud in the 1st gen.

@Damaged,

I can NOT recommend the 30mm Universal bushings and brackets from Energy Suspension! Telling you now, they're too narrow and will end up moving side to side by an inch and half on the sway bar itself.

Instead reuse the stock bracket, clean it up and replace the bushings with the REIN XR819697 Jaguar bushings.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/jaguar-suspension-stabilizer-bar-mount-xr819697 order QTY 2

1st GEN LS Sport 30mm sway bar diameter

Should stay away from the Energy Suspension sway bar bushings, they are too narrow for the bracket and slide side to side.
there is too much play on these. Member Hite337 put me onto Rein XR819697, I also confirmed the ES bushings move about.

http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/jaguar-suspension-stabilizer-bar-mount-xr819697

attachment.php?attachmentid=828462386&d=1379837443.jpg

You'll need to order qty 2 as the shopping cart misleads you to think qty 1 is a set, which it is not.

Use the old OEM bushing brackets, clean them up and use the Jag bushings. They are a direct fit on the 1st GEN LS.

attachment.php?attachmentid=828461307&d=1376016050.jpg

ES.jpg
Removed the Universal Energy Suspension bracket and bushings as they are not a good fit.

attachment.php?attachmentid=828469214.jpg

Replaced with original brackets and REIN Jaguar bushings.

attachment.php?attachmentid=828469215.jpg

Fits like OEM. Bolt near the DCCV was a PITA again!

ES.jpg

@Damaged,

I can NOT recommend the 30mm Universal bushings and brackets from Energy Suspension! Telling you now, they're too narrow and will end up moving side to side by an inch and half on the sway bar itself.

Instead reuse the stock bracket, clean it up and replace the bushings with the REIN XR819697 Jaguar bushings.

Jaguar Sway Bar Mount Front(S-Type XJ8 XK)- Rein XR819697 | FCP Euro order QTY 2

View attachment 828471178

Y'all make me sick lol just kidding

Do you know how much junk post about sway bar bushings I had to read through before I found what I was looking for.

I even made a post about it.
And here is the post I needed wit pictures.
Thank you big rig.

Just order mines they'll be here on the 13th just need to return the energy bushings now.

Didn't sound like you wanted my comments in your other thread as these ES bushings and brackets are not on my LS anymore.

You could have gotten collars for the ES, or reuse old bracket from 1st GEN and put REIN Jagar bushing in.

The sport front sway bar OD is 30mm, the non-sport base model is not. The REIN Jaguar bushing would sit slightly loose on any non-sport LS. The REIN bushings are more suited for the 30mm Sport model.

Last edited:
Ok I have the sport bar that looks like yours in the pictures you posted,

And NNNNOOOOOO i wanted your knowledge because you actually used the ES mounts, and your exsperience was first hand, it even came with pictures when I found the thread I instantly asked for my post to be removed cause your response in this thread had become the holy grail.

well ... I can't take much credit ... search, read and learn myself like others.

Great job on that extensive write up Deacon, don't think I ever came across it before.

Things to keep in mind for others,

1st GEN 00-02 ~ bushing and bracket can be removed by associated hardware, bushings themselves have a split in them so as to manipulate/separate them from the bar itself. Bracket can be reused.

2nd GEN 03-06 ~ Bushing and bracket are molded along with the bar as a single unit and removal would require cutting through the bracket and bushing. Bushing and bracket are not reusable.

1st GEN bushings are no longer in service and replacement is an entire 2nd GEN swaybar which includes the molded around bar bushings and brackets. Sold as a whole unit.

2nd GEN owners wanting to utilize the REIN Jaguar direct 30mm sport replacement bushings could potentially source a set of brackets from a 1st GEN at local salvage or scrap yard.

The Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings and brackets, although too narrow, can be fitted with collar clamps to prevent lateral movement. The ES bushings themselves are of good quality.

Deacon side note: heedful using pieces of 2x4 lumber atop the jack stands as pictured.

If positioned along the grain, the weight of the vehicle can split the wood and drop it onto the stands quickly (If lucky/ask me how I know/will never do that again). Across the grain would be most secure. If and when I do use wood as spacers, I'd take note of such important orientations. (since my lopsided drop event).

Last edited:
I have had wooden spacer split before as you noted, but never catastrophically. I need to be more mindful of the grain orientation or just get a set of hard rubber ones.

Deacon I thought about the lateral locks, it's just my 2002 sport v8 still have the older style bar that have lateral stops prefab into the bar itself.

Like the one BigRig have in the pictures he posted above.

So it would be less stressful for me to go the route of the jag bushings.

In a side note the dccv bolt I don't have to worry about my dccv is just placed in there I never bolted the bracket back down. When being lazy pays of down the road.

Blueberryyum02 - you in luck then to still have the old design front bar on your '02 Sport. That was a real PITA job on my '04 Sport.

So opinions please:

My 2001 set up is like rigs pic, and everyone says my bushings look fine. Of course the mild cali weather wouldnt make them look bad like some of you northerners look under neath.

I cannot get anyone to say what the clicking/popping is when I am in a left turn and hit uneven surface. Have the moog endlinks now, but I am wondering if I should just replace these because being 16 years old they are just weak. Cheap enough, thats for sure.

Tires are fine, steering is fine (unless this noise is in it instead) , and ford lincoln just says the suspension shows wear and we have to 'watch it' which I take as things are in tolerance just one day they will ask for some money.

Members online

No members online now.
Back