Suspension Rebuild question on wheel hub

Black_Sunshine

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I've been slowly working on my suspension rebuild. I have the upper control arm loose, and now its time to take the wheel hub off. Before I did it, I watched a couple of youtube videos, and now I see that there is more that holds the wheel hub on than just the 4 bolts. It appears like there is some very thin weld that people have to break loose if they ever have to replace their hub.

The guys on the youtube video were blaming it on years of snow and ice building up crud. Seems like more than that, though. Seems like the factory might have used something like JB weld. Is that true?

If I just decide to go buy brand new hubs to stick on my brand new knuckle/ball joint assembly, do I need to weld the hub to the knuckle? Or use JB weld? Or is 4 bolts strong enough?

It certainly looks like some people had to beat the **** out of their wheel hubs to get them off.

Thanks,

Jason

Guys,

I've been slowly working on my suspension rebuild. I have the upper control arm loose, and now its time to take the wheel hub off. Before I did it, I watched a couple of youtube videos, and now I see that there is more that holds the wheel hub on than just the 4 bolts. It appears like there is some very thin weld that people have to break loose if they ever have to replace their hub.

The guys on the youtube video were blaming it on years of snow and ice building up crud. Seems like more than that, though. Seems like the factory might have used something like JB weld. Is that true?

If I just decide to go buy brand new hubs to stick on my brand new knuckle/ball joint assembly, do I need to weld the hub to the knuckle? Or use JB weld? Or is 4 bolts strong enough?

It certainly looks like some people had to beat the **** out of their wheel hubs to get them off.

Thanks,

Jason

The ONLY thing holding the front hubs on are the 4 bolts. Remove the wheel, caliper, rotor and then the 4 bolts that secure the hub assembly. Installation is the reverse. I would use blue Locktite on the bolts. Doubt if you want, but I've done it a couple of times...

The ONLY thing holding the front hubs on are the 4 bolts. Remove the wheel, caliper, rotor and then the 4 bolts that secure the hub assembly. Installation is the reverse. I would use blue Locktite on the bolts. Doubt if you want, but I've done it a couple of times...

Yes, I've replaced one too. There are no road salts here, and it just fell out once I removed the last of the four bolts. It's just the bolts.

To answer your question...

If you are installing a new hub on a new knuckle,,, you have nothing to worry about. Just bolt it on with the proper torque spec. The only time this is an issue is when removing a used hub from a used knuckle. Then, (after removing the nuts/bolts), you will most likely need at least a propane torch to heat the knuckle enough to expaned it... so you can beat the hub out of the knuckle with a BFH.

Members online

No members online now.
Back