Suprise in the bone yard today

lincolnelite

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I was looking for a center vent grille on my today in one of the junk yards here. My grille is cracked on the side and I have to improvise something to hold the switches in place so that it will not fall off when pushed.

Probably hite could identify the heat shield;
lvc.jpg
Looking at the car, it's a 2000 V8, with electric fan conversion (flex-a-lite) somehow it got overheating problems due to new degas bottle and some lines are rigged. So I took the intake heat shield and center vent grille in pristine condition. I was wondering who was the previous LVC owner.

Here's my mod for the switch.
lvc-grille.jpg
I use a curtain bracket as a support and just screw it in the plastic area. Works really good but I hate to see the crack on the side.

lvc.jpg

lvc-grille.jpg

wow thats a good find , how much did you pay for the heatshield at the place ?

$7.99 :)
It developed some rust on the bottom portion, trying to clean and paint it when the weather gets warm.

haha thats gold man , I was at the junkyard yesterday and found a 2006 lincoln ls stock navigation with 6 cd changer for 180 bucks which i thought was not half bad

haha thats gold man , I was at the junkyard yesterday and found a 2006 lincoln ls stock navigation with 6 cd changer for 180 bucks which i thought was not half bad

You need a bunch more parts than just the headunit to make it work.

oh yes i understand I already have a nav in my 2006, I was just saying what I found at a junk yard :)

well the newer Ls's (04-06) arent as bad as the older models, bmws are nice but are as bad as in costs

Thas my old LS. That heatshield is the 1st prototype heatshield. See how the MAF adapter doesn't line up? And the window has the bottom trim blacked out but not the top. I wonder what happened to it? The Flex-a-Lite fan should still be good. Those are $300. What bone yard is it at?

wow, it's in one of the picknpull sites in Winner Rd just off I-435. Did you sell it to somebody else? When I went there the wheels and cats are already gone. The electric fan looks new, I know they are expensive but decided on skipping them. Do you have a write up on the conversion? I wasn't able to see any temp sensor so I'm assuming you use the ECM output to the pump to control the fan.

I also noticed that you removed the resonators, is there a difference with or without them (both in sound and performance/mileage)

I am not really a firm believer of CAI kits, they do improve the sound of the engine and looks of the engine compartment but without a correct tune they are worthless IMHO.

I have a friend who has an M5, those beasts got dual air intake (CAI) and he has to tune it because the MAFs need to be disconnected.

well the newer Ls's (04-06) arent as bad as the older models, bmws are nice but are as bad as in costs

Agree, but there's no aftermarket support anymore for the LS and the cost for the dealer only part will be close to buying BMW parts.

They both share the same issues (suspension,cooling system and interior parts mostly)

I had resonators on it but no mufflers. The fan is always on when the key is on.

In the future, Delta Current Controls makes an excellent fan controller, and they make one that can control an electric water pump as well as the fans. I've used them before on a couple of vehicles. One worked until I sold the electric fan setup prior to a vehicle sale, the other one was destroyed in an auto accident that totaled the vehicle it was in. They're pretty tough little units, but not tough enough to survive being the meat in a two-car sandwich. I heartily recommend these guys. Mind you, the last time I bought from them was 10 years ago. The only thing I wish the controller could do was interface with the trans overdrive or with some sort of VSS tap so as to not run the fans on the highway when the air conditioner is on, to save the alternator load.

That's so funny that the car used to be a member's, I would have never expected to find that.

It has the sport stabilizer bar upgrade, newer clockspring, suspension is 3 years old....there may be a few things on it but I didn't do as much to it as I have done to my current LS

I just new the idiot I sold it to wouldn't take care of it. I even told him to call me if he had any issues with it and I would help him diagnose and fix the problems. Makes me sad

Yup ... some people's kids huh!

Finally hite's piece of work didn't go to waste. Just installed the heat shield with the cone filter. I have to paint it with black under coating to prevent rust. Perfect fit :)

cai.jpg

cai.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back