Subframe Swappage, and somewhat fail. lol

stormfinder

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Posted this in the WDYDTYM8 Thread too, but figured id add pics here

Well yesterday i;
Loaded my subframe from my old 95 into the trunk of the 97 (the one i built with all polyurethane, new rack&pinion, new control arms, and new hubs, new calipers, and crossdrilled rotors.)
0918131149c.jpg

Drove to my local shop where i am allowed to work on my own vehicle with shop assistance.

Proceeded to brace engine from above, and remove entire cracked and sloppy front suspension at once.
0918131043.jpg0918131043a.jpg0918131149b.jpg

when it was down i noticed the oil pan was leaking, so i got a new gasket and did an oil change.
0918131149.jpg0918131149a.jpg

MIDDLE OF ACTION ON THE LIFT
0918131150.jpg

NO Pictures after this point, as my droid got broken by a swivel flying apart and hitting my leg.

I then removed the manifolds and mid pipe, and replaced them with 2004 cobra manifolds and a offroad xpipe, blocking the egr pipe off along the way, and here is where my problems began (details at end).

Then it was time to bolt the new subframe in place, and hook up the powersteering lines, and flaming river steering joints.

After this, i needed to bleed the brakes (added stainless lines to the front) and replace upper control arms (btw the bolts for the UCA's Suck)

About this time, i was out of time, so i had to make it good enough to drive home. I bolted wheels back up, lowered it down, and started it up.

About 15seconds after firing i remembered she had no oil, so i shut down and immediately added 6 qts (heres to hoping i didnt mess it up.)

Went for a test drive, and the alignment seems a little off (a whole different subframe will do that) but i was out of time, so i drove home, where i removed the rear bags and sensors and shes parked there now.

pros:
Got subframes swapped
got 03/04 manifolds and x-pipe installed
got stainless brake lines installed
Installed 1w cree leds inside in the dome and back roof lights.
converted to coils all 4 corners (Arnott Kit)
Emissions exempt

Cons:

Not aligned 100%
Rear o2 sensors not hooked up, threads need chased,
Ripped crankcase breather pipe off intake tube.
failed to connect x-pipe to single stock exhaust (y pipe didnt fit) so exhaust dumping under middle of car.
Having a real bad shudder under braking, going to re-check all bolt torques.
Stalling after slowing to a stop, immediately restarts (might be due to breather pipe leak)
No egr or smog.
Ran for ~15 seconds without oil

Need to knows:
How much damage would ~15 seconds no oil (idle) do to a 4.6 (seems to run great, ran compression test this am, all within 1%)
Where can i get a tune to delete egr and rear o2's from the ecu.
Where can i get a decent Ypipe about 20" long.

0918131149c.jpg

0918131043a.jpg

0918131149b.jpg

0918131043.jpg

0918131149.jpg

0918131149a.jpg

0918131150.jpg

it'll be rod bearings that i would be worried about...
and i have no idea how bad it will be.

if the motor locks up in a few days, well, you'll know why...

well i just finished up (as i was typing the thread), draining all the oil i put in yesterday, and replacing the filter, i just cut open the filter, and i dont see any shavings, and the oil i drained looks immaculate,

i refilled her with Some high zinc stuff i had for my 460 builds, and a new filter.

so Fingers crossed.

Doesn't seem like too much of a fail. You got a lot done. As for the engine and no oil, you made a small mistake and caught it very quickly. I think you did good with everything you accomplished.

How much damage would ~15 seconds no oil (idle) do to a 4.6 (seems to run great, ran compression test this am, all within 1%)
Provided that it was just ~15 seconds at idle without any revs/load, you should be alright.

Where can i get a tune to delete egr and rear o2's from the ecu.
Any decent tuner can set you up.

Stormfinder, if you have the abity to find an LSC of any year, try to grab the back half of the exhaust. That'll get you dual pipes to mate that mid pipe to. My exhaust is off of a gen 2. Fit perfectly.

Members online

Back