Strange Smell When I Turn My Heat On

Silver LS8

LVC Member
Reaction score
does anyone know if this will go away by itself or does this mean dealer visit AGIAN!!! smell real bad and its alwasy the same odor.. like somthing is burning .. i just had a new thermastat put in.. and info.. THANKS

Does it smell like antifreeze? If you are not familiar with the smell of antifreeze wait until the car is cool (perhaps after it has sat overnight), open the hood, remove the radiator cap, and smell that. If it is the same smell than you probably have a leak in the heater core.

it could be that radiator hose that has the 90degree bend in it. They have been noted to fail at the bend.

Silver LS8 said:
does anyone know if this will go away by itself or does this mean dealer visit AGIAN!!! smell real bad and its alwasy the same odor.. like somthing is burning .. i just had a new thermastat put in.. and info.. THANKS

If it smells anything like oil burning on your exhaust, it probably is. I smelled that in my car when I turned on the AC or heat until I changed out the gaskets and seals.

lsbit said:
If it smells anything like oil burning on your exhaust, it probably is. I smelled that in my car when I turned on the AC or heat until I changed out the gaskets and seals.

Just to clarify, he's referring to the valve/cam cover gaskets and spark plug well seals. This is a common problem on early LSs ('00 - '01s). Gasket sets are less than $80 for both sides, and about a 5-hr wrenching job for the passenger side, ~7hrs for the driver's side. If you have the dealer do it, it'll cost you nearly $800. I used to get a burning oil smell when the heater was working (cooler weather) and usually just after romping on it and coming to a stop (never got the smell when the car was in motion). A couple times I could actually see smoke rising up from the cowl after parking the car. Did my gaskets last summer and no more smell or smoke.

JohnnyBz00LS said:
Just to clarify, he's referring to the valve/cam cover gaskets and spark plug well seals. This is a common problem on early LSs ('00 - '01s). Gasket sets are less than $80 for both sides, and about a 5-hr wrenching job for the passenger side, ~7hrs for the driver's side. If you have the dealer do it, it'll cost you nearly $800. I used to get a burning oil smell when the heater was working (cooler weather) and usually just after romping on it and coming to a stop (never got the smell when the car was in motion). A couple times I could actually see smoke rising up from the cowl after parking the car. Did my gaskets last summer and no more smell or smoke.

now that i think about it i do kinda remmebr seeing smoke coming fromm my passenger tires side. and it usaully smel when i go warm up my car b4 i drive it.. i live upstate ny and its cold here. andf i let it idle for around 3 miinutes.. oh well i'll call the dealer sinc emy warranty is almost up

JohnnyBz00LS said:
Just to clarify, he's referring to the valve/cam cover gaskets and spark plug well seals.

Sorry about that....I was pretty tired at the time. :)

I just bought my 2001 LS8 and am experiencing the same smell with an abnormal amount of smoke comming from the rear. I think I'll have that looked into as well.

I bought a 4 year 48,000 mile warrenty that definately covers engine gaskets and such. And no, I have no experienced any misfiring. Is that usually an indicator?

I am also getting that smell, noticed the other day after a sharp u-turn.
Is it usally one side that leaks more than the other ? Where do they leak.

I am still have some warranty left on my 01 LS8, It would be nice to get both valve cover gaskets replaced under warranty. Maybe a little spilled oil could help in getting both done whith the warranty ?

I think the problem has been more common on the passenger side, at least that's the side you'll smell 1st due to the air intake for the HVAC being on that side.

Usually leaky gaskets will cause the coil packs to become soaked in oil, then misfires are close behind. Sometimes this happens before you can smell anything.

m1i2k9e, are you seeing smoke from the exhaust? What color? This is usually an indication of engine damage (blue smoke = oil from bad pistion rings or valve seals, white smoke = antifreeze from a cracked block or blown head gasket), NOT leaky valve cover gaskets.

I am seeing white smoke come up from the exhaust but it mainly on the drivers side when I get to the stop light

i'm taking it in monday and i'll let everyone know what my problems were.. i hope it has nothing to do with engine being bad or gasket bc that would suck when my warranty runs out and i have to pay for it myself.. this car is a headache

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back