Stock Transmission Cooler with Bracket Assembly?

jbelcourt

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I had heard before that there was a pretty rare stock transmission cooler package, add-on, recall addition, whatever it was, on the Mark VIIIs. I've only seen one person post a picture a ways back about the stock bracket and cooler.

Today, I went to the junk yard I always scavenge to to look at a 96 that was there. Someone had got there before me and said the car was complete junk, engine gone, everything gutted basically. I decided to check it out anyway since I had free time today. Guy was correct, it was plucked apart already. I was checking to see if the VCRM was still there and when I looked under the bumper cover, I saw something that seemed out of place and definitely wasn't there on my Mark. Got down to and traced the lines that were hooked to it and tranny fluid started dripping out of the cut lines. Turns out it was in fact a transmission cooler, with the bracket, all Ford parts.

I got excited and ended up pulling it out and buying it. I was in the market for a tranny cooler anyway, but didn't want to spend anything right now. Just got this for $17.

How rare is this bracket/cooler? Why is it that I can't find ANYTHING on this when I search online? I searched all the part numbers listed on this (the brackets pieces each have their own part numbers as does the cooler) both online, eBay & Fordparts.com and nothing comes up.

F8LH-7B143-BA (x2)
F3LC-4N052-AA
F8LH-7A095-AA

IMAG0254.jpgIMAG0255.jpg

IMAG0254.jpg

IMAG0255.jpg

IIRC, it was a TSB for cars with trans shudder under warranty.
they added that to help cool the trans.

If I recall correctly, the TSB covered cars in hot weather states. Mainly in the southeast and southwest. I have a FLorida car and mine has the cooler. There was also a 90* adapter hose that screwed into the upper transmission cooler fitting.

I tried to decode the part number and I came up with a 1198 Mark Kit put out for a transmission cooler. You have something that not many of us has seen before. I suppose if you went to a friendly Lincoln dealer he might be able to verify that for you. Most of us have gone to after market plate coolers, as what you own is now obsolete to my knowledge.

What you have is a "stacked plate" style cooler, which is the preferred cooler for any vehicle really, but its tiny. I'd say to the point where if you were running a gear in the axle, and a stall, then it may not be enough to cool properly.

What you have is a "stacked plate" style cooler, which is the preferred cooler for any vehicle really, but its tiny. I'd say to the point where if you were running a gear in the axle, and a stall, then it may not be enough to cool properly.

Yeah, mine is stock. I plan on installing this then when I get a little extra cash to blow, I'll JMOD it too.

I just need to figure out what all I need to buy to install it. Plus I need to buy some transmission cooler flush and flush it out to be safe. The fluid that came out of it actually looked really clean, but I'm not going to risk it.

That is a cool find, and I didn't know about it, but it is a pretty whimpy cooler. Seems to be about 1/3 the size of the one I installed on my 97 Cougar (which I should have put it on my 97 Mark VIII when I had the bumper/header panel off), but same style stacked plate instead of tube and fin.

I would be interested in seeing what the fittings on the OEM cooler to put this inline with it looked like. I want to run metal lines instead of rubber when I do mine.

After you flush the cooler out, be sure to rinse with Mercon V before you plumb it in line to your trans.

I'm planning on going to the salvage yard this weekend and getting a transmission cooler off a '93 Explorer for my T-Bird. It's about twice as big as this one and should do the job nicely.

I had heard before that there was a pretty rare stock transmission cooler package, add-on, recall addition, whatever it was, on the Mark VIIIs. I've only seen one person post a picture a ways back about the stock bracket and cooler.

Today, I went to the junk yard I always scavenge to to look at a 96 that was there. Someone had got there before me and said the car was complete junk, engine gone, everything gutted basically. I decided to check it out anyway since I had free time today. Guy was correct, it was plucked apart already. I was checking to see if the VCRM was still there and when I looked under the bumper cover, I saw something that seemed out of place and definitely wasn't there on my Mark. Got down to and traced the lines that were hooked to it and tranny fluid started dripping out of the cut lines. Turns out it was in fact a transmission cooler, with the bracket, all Ford parts.

I got excited and ended up pulling it out and buying it. I was in the market for a tranny cooler anyway, but didn't want to spend anything right now. Just got this for $17.

How rare is this bracket/cooler? Why is it that I can't find ANYTHING on this when I search online? I searched all the part numbers listed on this (the brackets pieces each have their own part numbers as does the cooler) both online, eBay & Fordparts.com and nothing comes up.

F8LH-7B143-BA (x2)
F3LC-4N052-AA
F8LH-7A095-AA

View attachment 828468975View attachment 828468976

View attachment 828468975

View attachment 828468976

Nice fine , just found a 97 lsc Did the first oil change and seen my cooler looks exactly the same !

Members online

No members online now.
Back