stereo install kit???

Speed Demon

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I've tried locals, no help from crutchfield, searched forums.....I can't seem to get the right wiring harnesses to install my stereo. The metra kits seem half right, I've had several kits and all are supposed to be for a base 95 mark with stock (small amp) non jbl stereo. One of the plugs fit another is too wide or small or whatever.:mad: I need the amp bypass ( have my own amp to install) and factory harness adapter so I can wire the Alpine in. Also a quality dash kit. The ones I've found suck. Any help would be appriciated. I don't understand how Crutchfield 'since1974' doesn't even have a friggin' way to look up an older kit. This isn't a studebaker ya know!!/??.:eek: Anyway I can get things through Metra, I just don't want to waste time ordering more of the wrong parts. Thanks.:cool:

The radio harness that you are looking for is a Metra part number 70-5511. This will allow you to use the factory amps and still hook up your sub amp.

The kit that you need is a Metra part number 99-5802. You are correct that they suck. I made my own kit when I installed my radio. I fabed up some brackets out of back strap (available at any stereo shop) and then made my own trim ring that fit the opening.

If you have some questions, you can drop me an email at bholt@tulsacoxmail.com. Hope that this helps.

It is not a 5511 harness thats for the jbl system. They did something weird in 95. You will just need to rewire it and make your own dash kit because none of the ones metra makes actually will fit corectly. It is fairly easy to run your own speaker wire to the doors. The back speakers are easy. If you are putting in an aftermarket amp this will be the best way to do it anyways.

Radio install bypass

I ran into the amp wiring problem on my '95. The wiring adapter didn't match up properly. There's obviously a plug coming from the stereo to the amp and another going to the speakers. I was able to plug into the stereo end okay but had to hard wire / splice the wires going to the speakers. I did manage to search out on the internet to find color codes for the wires, however I think (it's been a couple of years) I had to test wires on the speaker side since those color codes didn't match. I found that easier than one I did in the past (I've had five of the Mark VIII's) where I ran new wires to all speakers from the stereo. At least at the amp plugs you have access to all the wires you need.
I agree that the radio install kits aren't very good. They are just basic generic stuff. You will probably have to fabricate something or go to a custom installer to get something better. I don't know of anyone that makes something better.

I can help you. I just did a complete tear down of the interior of my 1997LSC and installed a new system. I put a set of 3 ways up front and 6.5 mid base 3" mid and 1" tweeter they are all behind the factory meshes. the rear I used a great pair of 6*9 2 ways. ANd 2 10" alpine subs. in a custom built box. all tied to 3 zapco amps, 15 farad cap extra battery and Alpine 8667 deck. with Ipod, Bluetooth and xm radio. I have pics of the entire build. Do not know where to put them here though. you can email me. wsb@sb-ent.com. I used a reinforced mount and withthe zapco amps I use symbolic cables so that there would be no noise caught in the feed cable. I did run all new wires to everything. I placed the crossovers in the trunk and ran the speaker wires to each speaker.

SO what I found in researching this system. was that the factory speakers are wired way to funky to get a decent sound. and with the imprint software it would not work to get a balanced system. All new is really the only way to go.

Let me know what you need. Oh last thing is a double din unit will make you trim the walnut trim piece along with a very imaginable mount. I did this but decided to go back to a single din as I did not want to mess the outter trim. but if you do go double din the new Pioneer is awesome. it has everything built into it.

Sorry I rambled

Members online

No members online now.
Back