Steering Wheel Will Not Adjust

Eurythmian

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
OK guys, I need your help.
I disconnected the neg cable on the battery to install an iPod interface module (which went smoothly). But when I reconnected the battery, the steering wheel now only travels in and out telescopically and tilted all the way up.

The Tilt Control will not work (Up and Down).
I can hear a slight electronic click when I press it up or down - but nothing happens. And the sound is very faint.

The wheel also used to move to my memory setting when I put the key in.
Now only the seat moves. When I press the number 1 on the memory panel and the steering wheel moves out to the desired position but will not move down where I had it set. When I take the key out the seat moves back and the steering wheel moves all the way in.

I simply screwed something up!
What the hell did I do by disconnecting the battery?

I do not have a message center in my car... it's a V6 with the luxury package.
So the owners manual is pretty much useless when it comes to learning how to program certain things.

I've spent the whole night trying to figure out what I did or how to fix this... with no luck.
Please help - and thanks in advance.

That's what I was going to suggest but I'm not really sure. Did you check the fuse?

That's what I was going to suggest but I'm not really sure. Did you check the fuse?

I just checked the fuse to the Tilt and Telescopic Wheel and it seems to be fine... which doesn't surprise me because the Telescoping feature till works.
The memory easy entry feature stopped on the steering wheel and tilt.
The memory easy entry feature still works on the seat.

I'm frustrated and exhausted!

I'm not sure but did you check if there is a fuse for the memory going to the steering wheel tilt?

I'm not sure but did you check if there is a fuse for the memory going to the steering wheel tilt?

I don't see one in the owner's manual. The only one I see is for both the Telescopic/Tilt Wheel - Number 19 (Type 15A).

I wonder if I need to disconnect the positive terminal and leave it off for about 15 minutes. I know on my Mark VIII that would reset certain things.

I just don't understand why disconnecting the battery would screw this up.

Try that. I know when you unhook the battery it resets some parts. It may work.

Try that. I know when you unhook the battery it resets some parts. It may work.

I've disconnected the battery completely... waiting 15 minutes to reconnect.

I really doubt it's going to change anything... but if it works I will be shocked.
I'll let you know ASAP.

Disconnecting the battery and waiting 20 minutes didn't do a thing but make me have to reprogram the seat memory and sound settings.

This is frustrating. If anyone has any ideas - please let me know.
If not, it's off to my mechanic or dealership to try and get this fixed.

I don't know what all of this means... but I will print it out and take it to my mechanic. I may end up at the dealership...

All I did was disconnect the battery... this is crazy!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Try resetting the memory (both wheel and seat) and see what happens. Also, check under the column for a disconnected plug. You may have inadvertently unplugged the wheel motor.

+1. Sounds like a wiring problem at the steering column/wheel. Coincidental to you unplugging the battery I assume.

Try resetting the memory (both wheel and seat) and see what happens. Also, check under the column for a disconnected plug. You may have inadvertently unplugged the wheel motor.

I did place the iPod interface to the driver's side of the console where the carpet and the console meet. Where does the steering wheel motor plug in? If I inadvertently unplugged the motor wouldn't the telescoping stop working as well?

Thanks for your help guys.... you are giving me hope.
I've been in such a bad mood today over this.
I feel like I screwed up my car... I hate this feeling.

... If I inadvertently unplugged the motor wouldn't the telescoping stop working as well?

It's two different motors. One for telescope and one for tilt. The connectors near where you were working.

It's two different motors. One for telescope and one for tilt. The connectors near where you were working.

That was it! When I stood on my head to look under the column, I saw the connector dangling down. My heart about stopped beating because I was so freaking happy! So now to find where it plugs in... I finally found it and now everything is back to normal.

You guys rock... I am pretty new to this site and I've only had my LS for two months. I am familiar with these kinds of Forums because of my Mark VIII... These Forums are the BOMB! I owe you guys a beer!

Well I am having a similar problem with my 01 v8. I replaced the clockspring using Sullys guide, thanks btw that was a huge help, and when I was done the up direction on the tilt/telescopic steering doesn't work. Down forwards and back work. No up. And I can't hear a electronic click or anything when I press it. I took it all apart again and found no unplugged wires.

Does anyone have any clue what could have happened? What else controls the motors? Please help if you know anything.

Wtf? The white clip that plugs in vertically from the square clockspring box into the steering column is goofy. Plugged in, the wheel moves in, out, and down not up. Unplugged it moves up, down, and in but not out! Huh? Is that a bad clockspring?

Joe any advice on this, Im having a similar problem, no movement and can only hear one direction click.... all plugs seem correct

Joe any advice on this, Im having a similar problem, no movement and can only hear one direction click.... all plugs seem correct

Just that it's time to get out the voltmeter. If the motors are getting power but not moving, either the motors are bad or bound up somehow. If they are not getting power (more likely), then time to start tracing the circuits back to find the problem.

Ordered a new multifunction switch, went to install it yesterday... Found a connector I missed, works fine!!!! FYI there are TWO connectors on the bottom of the clockspring harness box!!!

Thats what I get for repairing at night!!!

Thats what I get for repairing at night!!!

You know, I found something while wandering the aisles at Wal-Mart the other day that might help. They call it flashlight. It appears to be a simple device that once batteries are installed shines a light into dark areas making the area visible! Some are almost as bright as daylight.

Amazing invention!! :p:N:p

Yeah yeah....

You seem like someone who wanders the aisles of Walmart...

:p

Members online

No members online now.
Back