Steering Wheel swap on a Mark VIII

Georgia Wolf

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the wood trimmed LS steering wheel will fit a 1998 Mark VIII? Is it a direct swap? Will the Mark cruise controls and airbag fit the LS steering wheel? Is there a better steering wheel option. The leather on my wheel is getting rough and I like the look of the wood.

Thanks in advance
Georgia Wolf

Not sure on that swap but
Watch for c.e. wheels for sale.
Or on here Alexander B. Sonin makes them.
todd2fst4u you were to fast for me beat me by mere seconds

I got a wheel & shifter from Alexander.
Very good quality, highly recommend him.

Thanks for the quick responses, not sure a custom steering wheel is in the budget at the moment. I thought I saw a picture of a Mark VIII with a wood trimmed steering wheel, was there a package that included this as an option? If no one has tried this upgrade I may go ahead and give it a shot.

Thanks for the quick responses, not sure a custom steering wheel is in the budget at the moment. I thought I saw a picture of a Mark VIII with a wood trimmed steering wheel, was there a package that included this as an option? If no one has tried this upgrade I may go ahead and give it a shot.

Collector Editions (CE) had the wood. Also, you might have seen a picture of Alex's custom work.

Unfortunately, the CE wheels are normally similar in price to Alexander's custom pieces.

I have a CE wheel, but if I remember correctly, it needs a bit of refurbishing before I'd be willing to sell it.

I paid about $280 total for wheel + shifter from Alexander. (Bid on some of his ebay auctions)
It is CE stuff he redid the wood on.

Necromancing a thread and I realize the OP will not see this or (at this time) still care. But, for anyone else wondering:

1) The short answer is YES the LS (2000-02) and MKVIII wheels will physically interchange.
2) NO, the airbag will not swap over, and the plug-in for the wheel controls is wired differently between the LS and the MKVIII.
3) The entire steering column WILL swap and the clockspring module plugs are identical between LS and MKVIII (LS has 4 more wires exiting the black plug for the radio/media controls).
4) If you use the MKVIII MFS on the LS column, no problems. LS MFS with 'Auto' wiper function will wreak havoc with the MKVIII wiper control module (still working on a bypass for that, studying wiring diagrams sucks!).

The ONLY reason I am bringing this up (or back I should say) is I am swapping in a complete 2000 LS column and using the MEDIA/RADIO buttons to either control the aftermarket radio (If I can get the harness built/integrated), or use the buttons to control 'other' functions as of yet to be determined).

The 2000 LS wheel is being shipped to TEMPLE shortly to be recovered in Black Leather. Right now, the wheel and a spare dash 'waterfall' and door spears are going to the Hydro-Dipper here locally to have the waterfall/spears matched to the different grain of the LS wheel.

I will photograph what I can and report back as time permits. Work has been busy (good for car parts slush fund), so side work (including the MKVIII of my own) has to wait. :(

Yes, as you discovered the LS wheels will fit. As far as auto rain control - just find an MFS switch without the auto-rain sensor support and you'll be fine.

I went into this project as a test last year, but abandoned due to excessive amount of work needed for the benefit.

The biggest problem your going to run into is that the cruise control buttons use a different control "scheme" than the Mark. Basically - you'll need to disassemble the cruise switches and manually rebuild them. The LS uses a "ladder network" and the Mark uses individual resistance.

Thanks, Frank, for that bit of info! I am glad to have others who help out and contribute info when needed.

This, for me, is also a test. I am doing it for multiple reasons, and may just end up scrapping it like you did. However, being I am pretty bull-headed (and fairly stupid), I may just press on until it either wins or I make it work! :)

Feel free to contribute what you did and discovered, as it may help not only me but the next guy who wants to do this as well.

If your familiar with electronics circuit design, you should be able to get through it.

So, if I understand this correctly, the LS builds resistance on the same switch whereas the MKVIII uses individual switch resistance?

Where is steering wheel rotation sensor? Will that be an issue for the speed sensitive steering or is that a non-concern. Or does the LS use the same.

As an update; the LS column WILL NOT directly bolt into the MKVIII. The MKVIII uses a short aluminum knuckle to connect the column to the steering shaft whereas the LS uses a rag joint that takes up more length, making it unusable in the MKVIII. However, by swapping the entire backplate from the MKVIII onto the LS column, the LS column now becomes usable as the MKVIII knuckle is used.

Unfortunately, the CE wheels are normally similar in price to Alexander's custom pieces.

I have a CE wheel, but if I remember correctly, it needs a bit of refurbishing before I'd be willing to sell it.

How much for cE wheel ?? I have 97 LSC with exceptionally clean grey steering wheel I can even trade as well

I saw a really really nice one on temple performance and I was curious if you have to ship yours or not?

I saw a really really nice one on temple performance and I was curious if you have to ship yours or not?

Really ? Available now ? I mean I’m not sure about shipping mine I was jus offering as a trade of someone can part with out their wood grain CE wheel

Members online

No members online now.
Back