Steering rack/alignment issue

Psychostang

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
OK, so last week I finished installing the rebuilt replacement rack. Unfortunately I ran into an issue. The rack is so long, that I cannot turn the outer tie rods in enough to straighten the wheels out. The drivers side is way out. Not so much on the passenger side.
I have the steering wheel straight and the rack centered. I obviously did not have this problem with the old rack. I barely have 3 threads left on the inner tie rod for adjustment. With the old rack, I had 14 threads on the left and 20 threads on the right. What gives?

alignment 001 (Small).jpg

alignment 002 (Small).jpg

alignment 003 (Small).jpg

I don't have the old rack anymore. All of the information I can find, suggests they are the right parts. But, something is wrong.

I don't have the old rack anymore. All of the information I can find, suggests they are the right parts. But, something is wrong.

Those outer tie rod ends look pretty long. Wonder if you can get shorter ones?

I know for a fact in my mustang I could get long and short outer tierods ends. Don't know about mk8's. Find another mk8 and do a quick measure of tierod length.

sounds like the wrong inner tie rods.
the rebuilt rack i bought was packaged for a Mark VIII and the tie rods didn't even have the correct threads.

In talking to a particular member, I was told that the tie rods are the correct length, but that the thread amount is too short. Sure enough, go back to autozone and the correct thread length is 3-5/8"'s. Mine had 2-5/8"s. So I've changed the drivers side and tomorrow will do the passenger side. Drivers side is now nice and straight. :D

In talking to a particular member, I was told that the tie rods are the correct length, but that the thread amount is too short. Sure enough, go back to autozone and the correct thread length is 3-5/8"'s. Mine had 2-5/8"s. So I've changed the drivers side and tomorrow will do the passenger side. Drivers side is now nice and straight. :D

So you took apart a new rack and replace both inner tierods?

Drivers side right now. Yes, was easier than replacing the whole rack again. I had to wait 3 days for this one to be shipped. It was not a stocking part. It didn't cost me anything. A simple exchange.

And a lot less stress. Especially when I have to get it off of the lift, so I can work on my daily driver.

I got the passenger side tie rod on today. Everything is all hooked up and ready to go. I just have to finish tightening the drivers side upper control arm rear nut. What a pain in da butt!

Members online

Back