Standing current draw

Wicked Ace

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Would anyone, Joe weigh in here, know the current draw of an '05 LS V8 when sitting? I mean ignition off, doors closed etc.
I have been having trouble with relays clicking on start up on cold days. After a few seconds to a few minutes depending on the temperature, it stops. On warmer mornings it does not happen.
I took the car back to the auto parts store to have the battery (less than a year old) checked. They found 12.5 volts and 660 cold cranking amps last December. This was after the car had charged the battery by driving there.
I finally got to look into this some more today. Found 12.5 volts and over ranged then blew the 10A fuse in my DMM when hooked up in series. This was with the car cold and having sat for a few days.
I'm trying to determine if it is a problem with my car drawing down the battery or a bad cell not holding a good charge.

Sleeping current drain is less than 0.05 Amps. However, when you interrupt the battery power (by putting a meter in series), you wake the electronics back up. Counting in the trunk light, you will get a draw of a few amps for several minutes until it goes back to sleep. Even with the trunk light bulb out, you'll get well over 0.05 Amps until it goes back to sleep in twenty or thirty minutes.

When you first reconnect the power, you can get a surge of several amps as all the filter caps are refilled. The way to do this is to connect a jumper across the two meter leads. After the meter has been in series for half an hour, remove the jumper. (Be sure not to do anything to wake up the car. Don't open or close anything, use the remote, or press any buttons. The key must be off and out.)

Members online

No members online now.
Back