Springfield Armory XDm 40

n8bachelor

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm considering buying myself a XDm 40 in 3.8" size for Christmas. Primary use is home defense, but it will have several hundred rounds a year put through it for practice and fun... Anyone here have experience with this gun? It has very nice features but I'm not sure if it is worth the extra cost over a comparable Glock or similar.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/62401
external_63a.jpg

Any feedback it appreciated.

I have an xdm 9mm and I'm about to purchase the new xdm 45 compact. I bought my mother the same gun shown here but in the 9mm version. Springfields are nice guns. Some people like glocks which I don't but to each its own. Trust me you won't be disappointed. If you want some reviews, go to youtube and check out a few videos. Check Budsgunshop.com for some good prices.

Buds has some great prices! My buddy got an AR-15 from there for cheap. I've been leaning toward the 40 over the 9mm but to each their own. I've seen some good reviews and like the extra safety features of the XDm over the Glock. I shot a Beretta the other day and did not like it. Never really cared for the 1911 style either.
Buds has the gun for about $100 cheaper than my local shops too. For a $20 FFL fee and no tax, I think that is a winner!

Yea Buds has great prices. My co worker has the xdm 40 in the 4.5 barrel with stainless slide. Nice piece. My new 45 will be more for conceal carry and I will leave the 9mm at home. Plan on adding an AR to arsenal soon.

I have an XD 9mm subcompact that I carry every day and I have an XD 40. I love both of them and have never had any problems with either one. They are very reliable guns and I personally like them better than Glocks. You won't be disappointed if you buy one.

I had an XD 9 compensated and enjoyed it during the day. Ended up trading it in because it was blinding to shoot at night with the ports.

I've seen some good reviews and like the extra safety features of the XDm over the Glock.
Meh. The Glock is drop-safe, like all "modern" pistols--as long as you don't pull the trigger, it won't go bang, which is the only safety "feature" you really need in a pistol, IMHO.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not saying anything bad about the Springfield, and I'm far from a "combat Tupperware" fanboy, but "extra" safeties aren't even on my criteria list when it come to firearms.

I have an XD40 as my home defense weapon.

Love it.

Great pistol, I have the 9mm and the 40. I use the 9mm to carry and the 40 in 3 Gun Comp. Both operate flawlessly so far.

I shot my buddys xd40 the other day I liked it
He has put probably 1500-2000 rounds through it this year no problems.

Meh. The Glock is drop-safe, like all "modern" pistols--as long as you don't pull the trigger, it won't go bang, which is the only safety "feature" you really need in a pistol, IMHO.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not saying anything bad about the Springfield, and I'm far from a "combat Tupperware" fanboy, but "extra" safeties aren't even on my criteria list when it come to firearms.

My wife is less familiar with pistols and needs to be "sold" on a weapon's safety features to be comfortable with it in the house. A trigger-safety-only gun is not seen as "safe" and I don't want one with a traditional thump safety switch. Fine motor skills in the heat of the moment, dark of night situation can be an impedance to proper use of a weapon.

XDm also advertises that pulling the trigger is not required to field strip the weapon...

i have an xdm9, i love it, i shoot it as often as i can, i have put around 3000 rounds through it in the past two years. if you are buying a gun for home defense then i would suggest purchasing the full size gun, you have less recoil for the follow up shot, unless you are a really big guy who is use to shooting little guns with a medium caliber i would also suggest getting the 9 compact or the 40 full size, also see if any friends have one that you can put a few rounds through before making the purchase. Some gun shops may also allow you to shoot them, but don't buy into anything they say, most gun salesmen will try to sell you what they shoot with. Everyone has their own taste in guns

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not a really big guy... 5'7" 150 and have not shot a lot of guns in my day, but enough to know what I'm doing. I completely agree that I want to put a few rounds through a couple models before making a purchase. There is a shop here that has rentals and a range, but I will probably buy from Buds online. There prices are about $100 cheaper than locally.

I noted the XDm has MANY models available. I looked at one locally today. It was a .40 3.8" compact model. It did come with an extended grip clip to make it the same grip size as the full size model. They wanted $689 for it (ouch). The 4.5" model is also available, and may be a little cheaper than the compact.

Looks like it will be an after-Christmas purchase. I need to save up a little more to buy it after the rental/range fees, but will probably buy from Bud's. I'm excited!

There is a shop here that has rentals and a range, but I will probably buy from Buds online. There prices are about $100 cheaper than locally.
Unless you're dealing with a major chain (Academy Sports, etc), the price on a firearm is like the price on a car--negotiable. At $100, the price might be too far off ($80 after the FFL's fee) you might be too far apart, but it never hurts to try. Heck, if you can get close enough, it'd be worth it to help keep a local guy in business...

My wife is less familiar with pistols and needs to be "sold" on a weapon's safety features to be comfortable with it in the house.
Spousal Acceptance Factor is definitely a concern. A little education and some familiarity with firearms will help.

FWIW, I used to have (maybe still do) a Glock poster that showed the seven (IIRC) "safeties" in a Glock 17. The tab in the trigger is the only external safety, not the only safety. It's also one more external safety than the SIG P22x pistols have, and those have seen lots of use...
XDm also advertises that pulling the trigger is not required to field strip the weapon...
Adspeak. Meh. That's like saying you don't have to worry about messing up the pressure plate and flywheel in an LS V8.

Unless you're dealing with a major chain (Academy Sports, etc), the price on a firearm is like the price on a car--negotiable. At $100, the price might be too far off ($80 after the FFL's fee) you might be too far apart, but it never hurts to try. Heck, if you can get close enough, it'd be worth it to help keep a local guy in business...

I completely agree. If the local guys are willing to deal I will work with them. There is a local gun store that had the compact listed at $689 with Buds online listing of about $560 (add $20 FFL fee and I'm at $580, call it an even $600). IF I could get the local guy to come down to $600 I still have sales tax at damn near 10% here. Its enough to make a dent. I will support the local guy if I can get him in the ballpark. I'll print the Bud's price and see if he will deal.

Spousal Acceptance Factor is definitely a concern. A little education and some familiarity with firearms will help.

FWIW, I used to have (maybe still do) a Glock poster that showed the seven (IIRC) "safeties" in a Glock 17. The tab in the trigger is the only external safety, not the only safety. It's also one more external safety than the SIG P22x pistols have, and those have seen lots of use...

Adspeak. Meh. That's like saying you don't have to worry about messing up the pressure plate and flywheel in an LS V8.

All spoken in truth by a man who knows his stuff. :D
The wife had her input on the pistol vs shotgun for home defense decision. Like it or not she will at least know how (and be able) to use it. Having two visible safeties makes it a little easier for her to accept it. And I like the feel of the XDm better than the Glock in my hand too.

Talked about it with some former and current LEOs and I will likely end up with the 4.5" full size weapon instead of the compact since I do not intend to carry it and the full size should be easier to shoot.
external_24a.jpg

And I like the feel of the XDm better than the Glock in my hand too.
That's incredibly important. I haven't fired the Springfield, but the Glock never fit my hand quite right. Oddly enough, I once bought a Browning HiPower that, despite not fitting my hand quite right when I was holding it, was a tack driver when I fired it. (That's one of the reasons I'm an advocate of what you're doing--shoot 'em first. I'd never have bought that Browning if I hadn't.)
Talked about it with some former and current LEOs and I will likely end up with the 4.5" full size weapon instead of the compact since I do not intend to carry it and the full size should be easier to shoot.
As a rule, that's true--the only pistol I've ever fired that worked the other way is the 1911. I once owned a Colt Gov't Model and Officer's Model (both in .45ACP), and I was much more accurate with the Officer's Model. Go figure...

Have fun with the Springfield, whichever one you choose!:D

For home defense nothing beats a 12 gauge. I have the first 3 slugs loaded with non-leathal rounds and the last five...well lets just say that they mushroom when they hit solid mass. But if your set on a pistola. I would get a baby desert eagle. I would also go with a 9mm. Bullets are cheaper and where I go they sell 9mms in a hundred round bag. I also really like my H&K USP .45. For $500 bucks my baby DE 9MM sub compact is a very reliable and accurate gun. Best bang for the buck. I had glocks and XDs and I sold them all less than a year after I bought them.

For home defense nothing beats a 12 gauge. I have the first 3 slugs loaded with non-leathal rounds and the last five...well lets just say that they mushroom when they hit solid mass. But if your set on a pistola. I would get a baby desert eagle. I would also go with a 9mm. Bullets are cheaper and where I go they sell 9mms in a hundred round bag. I also really like my H&K USP .45. For $500 bucks my baby DE 9MM sub compact is a very reliable and accurate gun. Best bang for the buck. I had glocks and XDs and I sold them all less than a year after I bought them.

First off if someone is breaking into your house and you home defense weapon is not going to be lethal, chances are unless you are living in a state that does not have the castle doctrine you are most lilkely going to be spending a minimum of 25k on a lawyer... your best bet is to kill the intruder and not have to worry about him, also having a drop gun comes in very handy...

second, i would never buy ammo in a bag, sounds like your buying repack or pulloffs. unless you are reloading them yourself buy new ones or from someone who you know who does it in there basement with the proper equipment

Well, I'm pretty well-known in my town and most people aren't stupid enough to spit on the side walk in front of my house let alone break into it. I also have kids and would hate to pump a hydroshock slug through the wall and hit one of them tryin to kill someone else. If they still wanna try something after three plastic slugs hit them, then I have the force I need in the next five slugs. The police are gonna charge me with something either way. Having a shotgun with no dowel rod is illegal in my state. As far as my bag of bullets. I get them from a guy that all he does is make ammo. Very nice quality. Never had one problem in the 10 years I have been a customer. Makes me custom Golden Saber rounds that I love too.

You're right.

Its a nice gun but,,,,,,,the slugs can travel through walls and kill an innocent. Also an automatic can jamb at the most inopportune time. A revolver is simple, just pull the trigger, no fuss, no jamb. A shotgun with birdshot or 00 buck will work great with little wall penetration, but slower cycle rate. Best yet is the Judge revolver in .410. Check it out on youtube.

Its a little spendy but I just bought an H&K semi-auto shotgun with carbon fiber grips and stock. You can also change the stock to a pistol grip if you want. I think it's badass.

wasn't saying much about the bag, but since you put it that way then i would buy it as well, however, you should always be awarre of your surroundings, obviously if the intruder is standing in front of your kids bedroom you are not going to want to shoot. i would just rather kill him right away

Im not really tryin to kill anyone. My wife little slutty friend also has a key a crashes at our house from time to time. I have almost shot her drunk ass more than once. I would just rather stop someone without killing them if I can. Plus you never know what a slug or a bullet is gonna do. Oh yeah and there is no wrong way to kill someone. Its all about preference.

Members online

No members online now.
Back