Spings and shocks

Rodewaryer

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done this Jaguar S-type Spring and shock conversion? It may be common knowledge to many but I am a bit gunshy on this one. I heard somewhere that the H&R spring kit for the 1999-2002 Jaguars Stype will fit, and then (due to the dimensional difference in the spring) the S-type Bilstein shocks will work. I show part numbers for the Bilsteins being 24-024921 Front and 24-026628 rear. Search on the forum reveals naught on Jaguar shocks or Jaguar Springs.

Just looking for a confirmation that this will work. My LS's old soft suspension has to go.

Appreciate any inputs...

don't know if it was all of the S-type models/years or if it was some of them, but there are differences to the bottom of the shock mount

In my notes I had 1999-2002 and I think it was due to some adjustable mod Jag introduced later that changed them. I think your comment is all the verification I need. Heading to Tire Rack next...

don't know if it was all of the S-type models/years or if it was some of them, but there are differences to the bottom of the shock mount

I can't comment on the years or whether it was only an -R problem, but I think I remember the difference being that the Jag shock eyelet was narrower than the LS opening. You can space it with washers, but I don't know how I feel about changing the load from mostly sheer stress (little to no gap between shock eyelet and control arm eyelet) to mostly tensile stress (the bolt bends and pulls on the head and nut against the control arm eyelets).

The other problem I remember seeing was that on the StR, at least, the spring's lower diameter was smaller than the stock LS'. All that means, though, is you have to do shock and spring, not one or the other alone.

This may help. It doesn't mention the lower shock mount problem (at least not in the first post) and uses S-type Sport shocks

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?76068-JAG-susp-on-LS-YES-it-fits!!!

You don't want to go the coil-over route? My guess is it would not cost you any more.

^The Stance coilover route

I know what people mean when they say they want coilovers for their LS. What I don't know is why the term coilovers has been applied to lowering setups. Whether it be double wishbones with stock coilovers or MacPherson struts that physically have a coil over the shocks, they're already coilovers. Does it all just stem from vehicles with separate shocks/springs? Leif spring replacements?

Make sure you buy some muffler clamps to properly do this job, if you're going over to Bilsteins....

Sorry, had to say it.

I indeed ordered both springs and shocks due to needing shocks and wanting Bilsteins. Since there seems to be issues getting just about anything for the LS the only way was to get the Jag Bilsteins, and for them to fit, it indeed involves the narrower neck on the Jag spring set. I really didn't want to lower the car but hope the rates on the H&R's are just stiff enough to prevent any 'more' rubbing than I already have (due to the car being way too soft). 1.2-1.3" lower is what they're quoting...fingers crossed.

^The Stance coilover route

I know what people mean when they say they want coilovers for their LS. What I don't know is why the term coilovers has been applied to lowering setups. Whether it be double wishbones with stock coilovers or MacPherson struts that physically have a coil over the shocks, they're already coilovers. Does it all just stem from vehicles with separate shocks/springs? Leif spring replacements?

The LS uses a coil-over shock combo and unequal length upper and lower control arms. They are not part of the steering geometry. A MacPherson strut is and has more work to do than just a shock. They also take up less room so help in manufacturing. My '82 LeBaron (read K-Car...) had struts up front and a separate coil spring and shock.

What I don't know is why the term coilovers has been applied to lowering setups.

this originates, as most things in america, from our laziness...

typically, when somebody is shopping around for a quality way to lower their car, you are usually presented with air, just springs (to use on your existing shocks), or "Adjustable Coil-over kits", adjustable being the key word as it is the main difference over the OEM option (not counting spring rate or shock valving...)

like everything else, we need to shorten the name if it cause its too inconvenient to say all the time, and calling them "adjustable" would just sound retarded and nobody would know what your talking about (because my car already has a lot of "adjustable" stuff) so we just shorten it to coil-overs and everybody knows exactly what we are talking about.

Jaguar S-type H&R springs and 'all' the Bilsteins have arrived finally (there have been so many carrier issues with stuff ordered online lately...), going on in a few days. Pics and report to follow.

Now I get it. I had no idea...yeah the best of intentions not executed right...

Mine went in the shop yesterday, should get it back to today with the new springs and shocks. Nail biting as I am sweating out the wheel/tire clearance after the lowering (not the main objective here) due to the Jag H&R's...Hoping the new shock mount kits help reduce the drop 'a little' as the originals have 80K+ on them. Nail biting continues....

To my knowledge, limited though as it is, shock is also an incorrect term. The proper term is damper. Strut, which is also a damper, refers to a type of suspension - MacPherson Strut. Coilover refers to an adjustable coil spring that's concentric with the damper. Usually there is some sort of system to change location of the spring along the damper body, usually in order to adjust the cross weight

To the OP, good luck with your project. I have been thinking about using the S-Type Bilsteins for a while. I would have gone with non oem type coilover system ;) such as Ground Control. I have used them previously and have been happy with their product. Sorry to waste the bandwidth.

I would never have called them coilovers, I have coilovers on my Focus and oddly, the rears on my Esprit are pseudo coilovers, the spring surrounds the shock and there is an adjustable ring that it sits on. Far as I know, the English call shocks, dampers, we call them shocks. Not saying your take is wrong, just what I got accustomed to living there those 5 years.

Car got pushed back a day, then the shop was closed thursday, now we're looking at this afternoon. Not many nails left to bite...

If it's too low, you can throw in spacers between the spring and spring mount. There are commercially made spacers or you can make them from raw materials such as Delrin, HPDE, or UHMW, or you can cut cutting boards or hockey pucks, depending on height and diameter needed.

I believe member RodLS used Delrin to make 1/2" spacers for his Eibachs.

Got the car back, and it hardly drives any different, since I expected a noticeably rougher ride, I didn't get that so hence it's not driving significantly different. Ride has not been compromised at all, it is somehow more solid and stable. It's lower, more composed and steering input seems sharper with none of the overreaction of the too cushy stock springs. And...there are no rub issues, really no issues at all...well there's a garage 'thing' I won't go into here.

Pics? I have great pics of before and after ride height views. But bloody imageshack's site is "not available right now" (spoken with a whiney voice). Bloody hell.

RE & RE suspension = Happy Driver!

EDIT: Not Jag Bilsteins

When I redid all of my suspension and linkages, I immediately felt a go-kart tightness in the ride performance. Very pleased with it.
(can flick the steering wheel and it straightens out instantly with zero bounce)

Eibach springs w/ OEM Sport shocks. +1

Members online

No members online now.
Back