Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Help read these plugs...

Western-20120324-00358.jpg

Western-20120324-00359.jpg

Western-20120324-00360.jpg

Western-20120324-00361.jpg

Western-20120324-00362.jpg

It's hard to read plugs used with unleaded gas, but #6 has issues, looks either quite rich or it's misfiring. Could also be oil, but without having the plug in my hand, I can't tell.

The rest look fine from here. ;)

Last edited:
I agree with you on #6.

It fits the symptoms too. Idle issues and occasional stutter at WOT.

Just not sure where to look. Plug wire or injector?

Driller, this may not help, it's anecdotal. I once changed all my plugs to one step colder than stock because someone on here mentioned that it might help improve performance if you are chipped.

When I pulled the plugs, they all looked like #6. I put the correct heat range plugs back and they looked good after that.

I agree with you on #6.

Start with the wire and change out the plug. If the symptoms continue, then swap two injectors.

You're running Coppers?

I'd swap in some new Ps, Delco has a new Plat out that I'm going to try, would also swap injectors 6 and 5 and see if that condition moves before buying parts

Apparently spark plugs are more complicated than automatic transmissions or trying to isolate a Higgs Boson in a particle accelerator. They make a spark, :q:q:q:q catches on fire. If you aren't have preignition or fouling problems, you're fine and stop over-thinking the subject.

I agree with you on #6.

In your case, yeah #6 is significantly different in color than your other plugs. If you would like to know why, swap a wire/coil or an injector from #6 to another cylinder, and see if your problem moves with it.

Start with the wire and change out the plug. If the symptoms continue, then swap two injectors.

If you would like to know why, swap a wire/coil or an injector from #6 to another cylinder, and see if your problem moves with it.

The wires, plugs and injectors are all new, but I've had new parts go bad before. I'll start with new plugs and either swap wires or buy another set.

I'm no hotrodder, but i'm getting over 1 mpg more on my double plat's vs the coppers. 18.9-19.2. vs 17.7.

Fwiw, the coppers looked fine @ 12k and were pretty close to spec gap.

Compression test results:

1-195
2-192
3-180
4-185
5-190
6-140
7-150
8-192

Test was cold and dry, but enough to tell me it's got problems. :(

I need to get a 12 point socket to turn the crank for a leak down test to diagnose further.

Does not look good when 2 low #'s are next to each other. The leakdown will let you know. I would be pooping water till I got that done.

Does not look good when 2 low #'s are next to each other. The leakdown will let you know. I would be pooping water till I got that done.

I'd think doing a headgasket would be slightly easier than an engine teardown to replace rings, etc, no? (still no fun, but easier ;) )

LOL It would kinda eat me all night and no sleep wondering. Oh yeah HG would be the easy out but why the HG failure on a new unit.

Members online

Back