Spare Tire Cover / Battery Door Mod

marcredd

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
This is a simple, but effective mod I am in the process of doing that will make my life a lot easier and may help one or two members who are in relatively the same boat.

With the nitrous bottle going in soon, along with a 12 inch sub in a prefab box, I did not want to be in a position to always have to move those items in order to access the battery.

With that said, here are some pics of my answer to that obstacle. In short, a new spare tire cover with a hinged door for the battery area was made. A 1/2 sheet of 1/4 in plywood was used. 1/2 inch could be used but I was a bit concerned with the oem handle being able to hold that weight in it's "up" position. Initially, as you will see in pic 3 , we were only going to make the door for just the battery area but after thinking a bit it only made sense to make it longer in order to grant full access to the battery as well as the fuse box. At the bottom of the last pic, you will see marks on the brace where we were about to cut so that the front lays flush as the oem cover did.

It's is basically done except to lay 2 more braces, install a small handle for the battery door as well as spray some adhesive down and reapply the oem carpet. I can attest that it does lay as flush as oem and is will be very supportive of the weight without "bowing". The door opening is 21 and 1/4 inches long by 11 5/8 inches wide.

Hope you enjoy....

Battery Door1.jpg

Battery Door2.jpg

Battery Door3.jpg

Battery Door4.jpg

Battery Door5.jpg

Battery Door6.jpg

That looks like its going to work great. Do you have any pics with the carpet on and with it in the trunk? Or are you waiting to post pics of the trunk 'till you get the NOS bottle in?

Dude this is awesome!

Looking forward to finished pics, maybe even a video of you using it?

I will need to this eventually with access to the whole area, basically moving the main hinge forward in front of a new sub box. Which isn't built yet of course. #lazy

That looks like its going to work great. Do you have any pics with the carpet on and with it in the trunk? Or are you waiting to post pics of the trunk 'till you get the NOS bottle in?

Thanks....

Waiting til it is all installed so I do not have to keep moving the carpet. I will have final pics next Tuesday evening of the finished product.

This is an awesome and simple mod. Now that yours is done I can do mine. I'm thinking of trying to use the existing plastic cover. I havent even looked at the cover that close recently to see if its even possible. I've been busy with my online classes and work. And I just put a brand new alternator in my LSE today. The $35 junk yard alternator took a dump after 2 or 3 months.

That was considered as well and it actually should work. The only reason I went with wood is if I decide to ever to take the nitrous out I could go back to the oem look and no one would ever know the difference.

Dude this is awesome!

Looking forward to finished pics, maybe even a video of you using it?

I will need to this eventually with access to the whole area, basically moving the main hinge forward in front of a new sub box. Which isn't built yet of course. #lazy

Thx Drizz. I will be sure to post the finished pics next week.

Very cool man ;) im sure a lot of us will be doing this mod.

Couldn't you have just cut, and put a hinge on the stock spare tire cover? Either way, looks good!

Yeah, i've never actually took the time to look at what material the stock ones are made up. Probably plastic I take it?

Creative thinking.:Beer How big is your sub box? Is the bottle to large to mount under the reardeck with thesub box? I thought of doing something like that. But my box wouldn't fit with the floor mat in place. So I removed the mat and made my own floor like you did. Thes are old pictures. Before I installed the amps on the floor. Made things easier. I am a little OCD thou. Get to the spare and the battery easier

Bueaty boards 02.jpg

Bueaty boards 01.jpg

U hit the nail on the head Rollin....the box and bottle will not both fit. So, it became what it had to based on what I wanted most....access to the battery without moving everything.

U hit the nail on the head Rollin....the box and bottle will not both fit. So, it became what it had to based on what I wanted most....access to the battery without moving everything.

Damn.... Thats got to suck. Its going to be a real PITA to get to the spare. Assuming you have to remove the bottle to get to the spare. Still creative thinking on your part. Looking forward to seeing the finish pictures.:)

Wow rollin, that is a very nice setup! Bet there was alot of hours into that huh?

The box is a prefab so it is easy to move if I had to. Disconnecting the bottle opener and then unhooking the bottle will be a pain.

The box is a prefab so it is easy to move if I had to. Disconnecting the bottle opener and then unhooking the bottle will be a pain.

Do you have pictures of your box in the trunk? There has to be a way you can mount everything and still be able to get to your spare tire.

Marc, as you know, my bottle is directly behind the seat back, so I just have to fold down the driver's side to access the valve area of the bottle. In regard to the bottle opener wiring, you should easily be able to get a multi-wire Weatherpak connector so that it's possible to just unplug things if necessary to move the bottle.

In my own case, the fuel cell for the methanol it too tall, and bulky, so I've simply had to forgo carrying a spare. I have a pressurized can of tire inflater, but I've never had a flat so I've never had a reason to use it.

KS

Car stereo amps in the behind the seat spot....LOL. I also carry a full size 20 as a spare. I am limited as far as space.

Like the idea. Modifying the floor was always something I had in mind until I just custom made a sub box to work with the stock floor. Great job!

Thanks. If it helps a few other members, then it is a good thing.

not going to lie, but i think the wood grain is going to clash with the airbrushed bottle! ROFL

Members online

No members online now.
Back