sound deadener

gaby617

LVC Member
Reaction score
just installed 2 12" diamond audio d6's in my 05 Navigator. Built a custom enclosure to fit behind 3rd row. Subwoofers sit about 1.5"-2" away from the rear hatch panel. From the inside it rocks... I haven't passed volume 24. From the outside anything over 15 sounds like the rear hatch is gonna blow off. No noise from the quarter panels just the hatch. I tried experimenting and turned the box face up and it sounds somewhat better but instead of the hatch the window rattles. My question... i'm planning to layer my rear hatch w/ at least 2 layers of dynamat xtreme or sound skin. Now im not trying to create a silent car from the outside but i do want to improve the rattle. Will sound deadener help or would the results not be worth the cost considering the subs position so close to the hatch. any advice will be appreciated... my attempt if any will be asap.

Try tightening down the latch for the hatch.
My 2 12" Rockford powered Cadence monster subs kept popping the trunklid open on my LS
until I made the lid close down another 1/8" as far as it would go.

I'll take a look into that. I was thinking it was more of the general hatch vibrateing due to how close the subs are. I just dont want to spend $130+ and realize it mad no difference.

Right. But tightening the seal would prevent as much rattle, since it would fit tighter. Have you tried to push the hatch tighter while it's rattling? Does it make a difference?

Yeah Ive tested putting preasure on the hatch and it def muffles the sound but you really can feel the vibration inside of it. One culprit is the panel frame around the plate area.

if your glass is rattling then no amount of dynamat will help

Members online

No members online now.
Back