somthing weird is going on

viiiball

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I know I've been asking a lot of fuel pump questions lately, and I think I jinxed myself....let me explain......Yesterday morning I went to go get somthing to eat, i get in my car and crank it,and its cranking and cranking and cranking and nothing it just wouldn't turn over, so i hit it again crank crank and finally it turned but sputtered and died!....so i let it sit a minute and crank and VROOOOOOMMMMMM!, it starts right up,any way no probs rest of today, so i drive to work today and listen everytime i start the car and it sounds like the starter is hanging up( I think thats what its called) it cranks and high revs for a sec then idles like normal.
So here is my question for all you gurus: The lack of ignition makes me think with the miles and the hesitation on accerlation, that it is the fuel pump hanging on by its last legs but the 1 time the ignition or starter made that funny and sound, and it may only be me being paranoid,the sound may have always been there i just didn't notice, that it could be a prob with the coil packs or possibly the starter or ignition, i am hoping for fuel pump seeing how I was going to replace it anyway. what do you guys think? :feed :Beer :give :L

A lot of the crank no-start syndrome you have spoke about is related to either the crank and cam sensors. You have mentioned sevralother conditions that leave me a little foggy. Could be the IAC. Need more explanation of symptoms to really be able to diagnose.

What's the mileage? Get a fuel gauge and test the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Could be signs of a fuel pump OR cam sensor.

Clean your battery terminals and tighten. Better yet, replace the battery terminals with heavy duty ones, unlike the cheap tin can stock ones.

If the starter begins to act up, be wary. You could need some walking shoes. When my starter died it gave silent warnings with intermittent no crank symptoms when hot(i.e. leave it cool and it would start).

cam sensor easy and cheap or hard and expensive, i think it is the fuel pump seeing hoe it hesitates on initial accelration, 155k = new fuel pump and billet regulator= LMS and Geno!

driller said:
What's the mileage? Get a fuel gauge and test the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Could be signs of a fuel pump OR cam sensor.

Clean your battery terminals and tighten. Better yet, replace the battery terminals with heavy duty ones, unlike the cheap tin can stock ones.

If the starter begins to act up, be wary. You could need some walking shoes. When my starter died it gave silent warnings with intermittent no crank symptoms when hot(i.e. leave it cool and it would start).

PC26.jpg

OE # F1AZ-6B288A
GP Sorensen # CSS26
Standard Motor Products # PC26
Easy & cheap. :Beer

http://www.smpcorp.com/

$12.99 @ partsamerica.com

It is located behing the power steering reservoir. Inspect the harness VERY carefully - it has a history of being intermittently open(broken on the inside) at the connector to the camshaft sensor.

I have to tell you that if it's throttle body injection, I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that the base gasket is leaking on the throttle body. If it's not TBI then I'll go along with the crank sensor problem. The best way to test the pump is to hook up a fuel pressure gauge. If you have 15lbs or more the pump is probably not the issue.

viiiball said:
I know I've been asking a lot of fuel pump questions lately, and I think I jinxed myself....let me explain......Yesterday morning I went to go get somthing to eat, i get in my car and crank it,and its cranking and cranking and cranking and nothing it just wouldn't turn over, so i hit it again crank crank and finally it turned but sputtered and died!....so i let it sit a minute and crank and VROOOOOOMMMMMM!, it starts right up,any way no probs rest of today, so i drive to work today and listen everytime i start the car and it sounds like the starter is hanging up( I think thats what its called) it cranks and high revs for a sec then idles like normal.
So here is my question for all you gurus: The lack of ignition makes me think with the miles and the hesitation on accerlation, that it is the fuel pump hanging on by its last legs but the 1 time the ignition or starter made that funny and sound, and it may only be me being paranoid,the sound may have always been there i just didn't notice, that it could be a prob with the coil packs or possibly the starter or ignition, i am hoping for fuel pump seeing how I was going to replace it anyway. what do you guys think? :feed :Beer :give :L

I really don't think its the throttle body leaking, but how would i check if i wanted to the throttle body is way at the back of the motor and even with the tube off it like a :q:q:q:q:q to inspect but i really think its the fuel pump, i have heard that the stock one has a life span of about 100k and i got 55k more on her!but I do appreciate all the help i am getting i like it here. :Beer BTW thanks driller for the info!

codewize said:
I have to tell you that if it's throttle body injection, I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that the base gasket is leaking on the throttle body. If it's not TBI then I'll go along with the crank sensor problem. The best way to test the pump is to hook up a fuel pressure gauge. If you have 15lbs or more the pump is probably not the issue.

Members online

No members online now.
Back