something ain't right ???

BigWayner95

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
05 v8. Just filled coolant about 2 or 3 months ago... tank is empty again. Can't find a leak. Car smokes at 45 outside even after fully warmed. Head gasket? Degas bottle? Ideas? Can't seem to find anything? Smell coolant but not very strong...

Lots and lots of posts on this. Everybody always says there isn't a leak, but in the end there always is.
Your coolant is leaking out through very tiny cracks in the the plastic parts. If any evidence is left behind, it is probably only the residue stain of coolant. Don't expect to see liquid coolant.
It doesn't really matter which part is leaking. You need to replace them all, because once one starts, the rest will be within a few weeks to a month.

Here's a good thread to get you started on it.
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?91092-GenII-LS8-Cooling-System-Overhaul

If you were truly concerned about it being a leaking head gasket, with that amount of coolant loss, you would think there would be an obvious amount in your oil which is very noticeable. Or you can do one of the carbon testes that test the coolant for exhaust fumes.

But, as Joegr says, it's almost definitely a cracked coolant component.

Check your oil. I doubt it looks creamy as head gaskets don't fail too often on the LS. When I was younger and dumber and had a beater, I blew a head gasket and basically just kept adding coolant rather than getting it fixed because the car was worth basically nothing. However, after adding more and more coolant on a consistent basis, changing the oil was interesting to say the least...

It's your plastic cooling parts.

Come tax return I'm just gonna take her in and have everything checked and or fixed. Unless I can do it myself. Thanks guys. I'll check out the thread too Joe. Much appreciated!

You can definitely keep driving, just keep a gallon of antifreeze in the car.. I did this for a couple of months before replacing most if not all of the cooling components - including the radiator.

Members online

Back