Somebody stole my keys! How do i replace?

stormfinder

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well everyone, my roommate i kicked out seems to have stolen my Lincoln keys last night. I have already contacted police but there is nothing they can do without proof that i did not infact lose them. (i hung them on the keychain, comeon)

So my question to you all is, how do i go about ordering a replacement?? Right now the car is locked and armed with the keyfob (which i have still), and my alarm goes off whenever someone opens a door with they key until they start it. So im not worried about theft.

I Know PATS is a PITA to deal with so any help will be appreciated!

If you can get into the car which it sounds like you can..remove door panel, take door handle off and remove lock cylinder..bring it to a lock smith to have a key made..do the same for the trunk lock. If they tell you they have to replace all of the lock cylinders and have a new set of keys, walk out and find another place..keys CAN be made without even removing the lock cylinder simply by feel if the lock smith is good enough..however they charge more to come out to your location opposed to bringing it there. I just went through all of this with my car..unfortunately the dealers only keep key information on file for 10 years so that is out of the question also, best bet is to do what I stated above.

Do you have a gen 1 or 2. Not too bad with a gen 1. If you have a gen 2, you will need a new SCIL and corresponding key/cylinder. It's easier to find the x roommate and introduce him to your friend Louisville slugger if he doesn't hand over the keys. Good luck!!

Well that sucks..another reason I'm glad I have a 1st gen.

There is no way around reprogramming the SCIL. I have a key with key ignition. You will have to go through the reprogram process. I believe there's a link on here somewhere.

I had to hire a mobile locksmith with reprogramming equipment for completely lost keys. It was a combo of the trunk, door and glove box they said. Never could get two keys to work but one did. Took the dude all day. No new computer.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Why the HECK do you only have one set of keys for your car??????? Maybe now you will learn a lesson that you will never forget. I went to my key place and they wanted 150 PER lock to make key. You need 2 keys cut so 300 and mine was not chipped keys so you will pay even more.

all my locks are keyed alike, luckily, however i was told by a locksmith near me, that i should try junkyards first. Since the best he can do is $950 bucks to cut a new key and program a key to match the vehicle.

i am definitely gonna ask around more places but most are closed now.

Thanks for the advice guys, this really sucks, to add insult to everything, the police tried to contact him, since i convinced them this wasn't a case of lost keys, only to find his last location was a greyhound bus west.

all my locks are keyed alike, luckily, however i was told by a locksmith near me, that i should try junkyards first. Since the best he can do is $950 bucks to cut a new key and program a key to match the vehicle.

i am definitely gonna ask around more places but most are closed now.

Thanks for the advice guys, this really sucks, to add insult to everything, the police tried to contact him, since i convinced them this wasn't a case of lost keys, only to find his last location was a greyhound bus west.

That locksmith needs to stop hitting the pipe. 950 PLEASE! I was pissed when I was told 150 each. I rekeyed my whole car.

Buy a used set from the for sale forum.
Just get the 6 lock cylinders, keys and the scil.
2 door locks
1 trunk
1 trunk proper lock
1 glove box lock.
Knowing that someone has kes to the car this is the only way I'd go.
Edit 6 ignition too dam brain fart.

Buy a used set from the for sale forum.
Just get the 5 lock cylinders, keys and the scil.
2 door locks
1 trunk
1 trunk proper lock
1 glove box lock.
Knowing that someone has kes to the car this is the only way I'd go.
What about the ign? LOL make that 6. I should have pulled this stuff from the 97 I parted. Oh well live and learn. Still bumming I didn't pull the back glass I now need.

$950 is outrageous. I had a locksmith come to our shop, and make 2 keys and program them to the scil on a 97 and it only cost $200.

You need this.
null_zps7c1a98e5.jpg

null_zps301c0fe3.jpg

He's gone like a fart in the wind.

I Couldnt have said it better, noone knows where he is. But ive also found my peanut butter, a loaf of bread, some salami and a book about cats missing. (WTF!)

I just remembered my dad has a 98 he is scrapping, if he has all the lock cylinders, and ignition and all that still, could he send me them and the SCIL, (if i can convince him to) and if so can i just pretty much plug'n'play with my car?

Um he said 950!

you said 150 each. i say you got screwed. like roger said, 200 for a set of chipped keys sounds fair. about what we payed for the new keys for the LS as the guy had to use to the computer and charged 1 hour labor and the price of 2 keys.

300 for a set of non chipped keys? bull****.

we rekeyed a lock cylinder for a ford truck for next to nothing.

key copies? 3 for like $7.

why are you all paying so much? or does my guy Tyler need to raise his rates?

you said 150 each. i say you got screwed. like roger said, 200 for a set of chipped keys sounds fair. about what we payed for the new keys for the LS as the guy had to use to the computer and charged 1 hour labor and the price of 2 keys.

300 for a set of non chipped keys? bull****.

we rekeyed a lock cylinder for a ford truck for next to nothing.

key copies? 3 for like $7.

why are you all paying so much? or does my guy Tyler need to raise his rates?
You think I PAID someone 300 to make 2 keys for me really? LOL

Members online

Back