So i test drove a deville

Nakoa

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
i test drove a 98 deville th other day.

What i liked:

The steering wheel, it has a nice look and feel to it
in town ride, the car rode great on city streets
the engine sound, very meaty sounding car, a sound i wish my towncar had and im sure with x number of dollars in exhaust i could achieve this sound, blah blah blah.
didnt seem to have any more power than my 99 towncar, but definately wasnt lacking.
heated seats
dual zone climate control
digital dash
hood ornament
bose system is pretty cool
useable head rests, something my towncar does not have.

what i disliked:

the dash layout, it wasnt bad, but it was real boxy looking and unrefined.
uncomfortable seats
the audio control placement
the crusise control placement
the ride on the freeway wasnt nearly as quiet or smooth as my town car
the lack of chrome accents
the tiny wood strip surrounding the black plastic plate on the door where the windows and door lock controls are.

i cant remember if it was the 2000+deville or this one that had the shltty seat controls. when you adjust the bottom part of the seat, the back doesnt move and it feels like it sucks your ass inbetween it and the back.. that might have been the 2000 now that i think of it.

overall, it was a really nice car and very different than the town car. the 97-99 body style is waaaaaaay more attractive than the 93(94?)-96 deville with those dreadful built in fender skirts and terrible grille. this car didnt have that beached whale look. vast improvement over the early-mid 90s deville. i would drive one, but if it came down to a comparable year towncar or the deville,(pre 2000), the towncar would win.

2000-2002? probably the devile.2003-curent, id take one of each, but my god that current towncar(03+) is a sexy beast.

Now to go drive a few sts's.

Hey now, the early 90's DeVille (91-93) is one of the best looking DeVilles ever made. I may be a little biased, but it's alot better than the whale that followed it. I don't really like any of the new DeVilles, up until the '06 DTS which is starting to be an improvement.

Now if they'd just offer it with an AWD 400hp DTS-V variant...

And yes, that hood ornament is very important ;)

I have an 89 de Ville and a 94 Concurs and I think both
of them are better looking that that awful looking 2000 -
2005 de Ville, I hate that hump back look on any car
with those huge back windows . And by the way I prefer
the fender skirt look over the exposed rear wheel, that
is what I like about my Concours over the regular de Ville
I guess eveyone likes a different look. Of course I grew up
in the 50's and 60's and I really do not care for the looks of
anything on the road today, they all look alike.

Nakoa said:
i cant remember if it was the 2000+deville or this one that had the shltty seat controls. when you adjust the bottom part of the seat, the back doesnt move and it feels like it sucks your ass inbetween it and the back.. that might have been the 2000 now that i think of it.
That was because the deville has 10 way power seating and the town car has a 8 way power seating.

how are they 10 way? is that including the up/down for the seatbelt?

Nakoa said:
how are they 10 way? is that including the up/down for the seatbelt?
No, its 10 way because the back is separate from the bottom og the seat. I wonder how are 14 way power seating works :confused:

Which one did you drive the base, DHS, or the DTS?

I know ive said some bad things about Deville over the years but im begining to like the 97-99. I like all the stuff the digital dash says, but i dont like the fwd, or where the a/c controlls are located. I really dont know what i want, im so confused!

i HATE the cruise controls, ac controls, radio controls they have for the steering wheel. lincolns are much better and easier to use. the exterior on the 97-99 deville is pretty sexy. im not a fan of the interior though.

Nakoa said:
i HATE the cruise controls, ac controls, radio controls they have for the steering wheel. lincolns are much better and easier to use. the exterior on the 97-99 deville is pretty sexy. im not a fan of the interior though.

yeah the interior looks like one a those Toyrotas!

Members online

Back