So how many cars will I put on a 5.0 TBird

MediumD

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
How many carlengths do you think I'll put on a 5 point slow Thunderbird? I'm in an essentially stock 94 and won't be spraying, AFAIK the TBird is stock too. The closest guess will receive one cookie. :D

What year bird? I'm guessing that since the 302 is in a thunderbird that it's a stanard and not a H.O. (high output) version like in the stangs. If thats the case I would say that the mark should pull it pretty good. Probally not even a race.

Years back at the street races an old man pulled up in a thunderbird, a mid 90's one. He wanted to race my 83 mustang GT that had headers, true duals, 306 engine, cam, 373 gears, intake, and so on.... That old man smoked my ass! That bird didn't even play around. Later I found out that a very good ford guy had tuned it and he was also running a 75 shot of spray. who knows what else? it looked bone stock. There was also a 93 mark VIII that the same guy had tuned, it was easily smoking lightnings. His car was fast! They both looked slow and the drivers were much older... so beware it could happen.

when my mark was stock. i raced my buddies 94 rustang convert which has the 5.0. i killed him every time and if memory serves. i think the car lengths that i beat was around 6-7. but i shut down once i reached 95-100mph or so.

83-85 T-Birds are 5.0 non H.O. CFI 140 HP...you'll pull any speed and fairly quickly.

86-88 T-Birds are 5.0. non H.O. EFI 150 HP...not much better.

89-90 T-Birds didn't come with V-8s.

91-93 T-Birds are 5.0. H.O.s with I think 210 HP. You'll beat them but they'll hang.

94-97 had the 4.6s.

My father had a 93 cougar with the 5.0 HO and it would do all right. Really took off on the top end but I would say that a mark would win hands down. But like they said above don't be surprised if he hangs with you for a while because you got more weight on it.

Why even bother with the LX ? That is too easy of a kill so why not try a supercoupe on for size, a much more worthy opponent.

I'm gonna bother because on a local forum someone is looking at a Mark VIII as a daily, and this TBird owner said something like 'those Lincolns are nice but I'd go with something sportier like a TBird.' I promptly laughed and it turned into a kind of a friendly call-out.

I'm thinking maybe I'll spray against him anyway one time, just to screw with him. I'll bring the video camera either way. :D

My 85 Tbird (Fila Edition) had the H.O. 5.0 - even had the dual snorkel air cleaner but the stock exhaust was a single 2 1/4" pppphhhhhtttttt.

No way it come close to any Mark VIII. 6-7 lengths to be generous to the T-Bird.

Dmaup said:
But like they said above don't be surprised if he hangs with you for a while because you got more weight on it.
Virtually the same weight. Within 200 lbs max.

Ok I understand its all for the sake of spankin some feathered ass! Hearing that comment I hope you do spray against him, I hate it when the non-believers make comments like that go get him! I also drove Tbirds for 13 years there is not much that I dont know about them, I have owned a 88 sportcoupe,91 lx,92 lx,94 lx,95 lx,and a 97 lx. I have since moved on to the Mark VIII(obviously), I have always wanted to get a 94/95supercoupe but they always were too hard for me to get. I love my Mark and would not give it up for anything, and without a doubt you should be able kill almost any Tbird with a Mark VIII stock for stock except for the Tbird supercoupe.

Don't forget about the 87 & 88 turbo coupe. That little 2.3 turbo will put up a fight. I sold my 88 turbo coupe to a buddy of mine. He loves it. It's all stock except for a high flow exhaust, adjustable manual boost valve set at 17.5 psi, blow off valve and a K&N cone filter. That car will hang right beside his 94 mark VIII. It will actually pull it off of the line. I'm not sure about top end but he is convinced that the turbo coupe will take it on the highway, I'm not sure but it would be a good race. I do agree that the rest of the birds are pretty weak except for the SC.

fast?

Hey an old married /3 kids guy here....
At the risk of be-heading...are the marks that fast?
I was under the impression that my lsv8 was the fastest version Lincoln made.
There's a guy in my town with a beautiful black mark 8?(the last style , the faster you go , the suspension lowers?from the commercial..LOL)Anyways I thought he was kidding when he asked me about light to light!
Just askin' here , go easy on me!
Maybe my next lincoln should be....?

Time to sell the LS (I should of had a V8).

MOST Mark VIII's will hand the LS guys their behinds.:D

That's why they never show up at meets.
Can't stomach the embarrassment!

Last edited:
Don't forget about the 87 & 88 turbo coupe.

Actually here at a mile over sea level a turbo coupe would indeed put up a hell of a fight since he would still be seeing close to the same mass of air going into the motor as he would at sea level, whereas I'm down almost 3psi.

Your LS8 is an 02, so you don't even have the fastest LS8 (03+ are faster from what I know.) Stock for stock a Mark VIII and an LS8 should be within a few tenths, which is faster depends on if you're in the LS forum or this one.. I think we have the upper hand when it comes to aftermarket goodies.

Don't forget about the 87 & 88 turbo coupe. That little 2.3 turbo will put up a fight. I sold my 88 turbo coupe to a buddy of mine. He loves it. It's all stock except for a high flow exhaust, adjustable manual boost valve set at 17.5 psi, blow off valve and a K&N cone filter. That car will hang right beside his 94 mark VIII. It will actually pull it off of the line. I'm not sure about top end but he is convinced that the turbo coupe will take it on the highway, I'm not sure but it would be a good race. I do agree that the rest of the birds are pretty weak except for the SC.

I stand corrected, thanks for reminding me about the Tbird TC:)

fast?

Time to sell the LS (I should of had a V8).

MOST Mark VIII's will hand the LS guys their behinds.:D

That's why they never show up at meets.
Can't stomach the embarrassment!

Yes and the 03+ do have another 30 horse , i meant the LS as a version , not necessarily mine...And ya , mods? You guys have it all!
According to some homework , the marks are about 2 tenths faster 0-60 , AND 1/4 mile...The LSC however is a whole 1/2 sec faster! I didn't know!
Now i know , "and knowing is half the battle"!
I guess i can add the Marks to a rediculously long list of guys i won't be running at the light. Of course , I can always hold my head up considering the LS is the best looking Lincoln ever right?..
LOL Rock on Marks...

I love my Mark and would not give it up for anything, and without a doubt you should be able kill almost any Tbird with a Mark VIII stock for stock except for the Tbird supercoupe.

Mine ran a 14.651 at 97.21 stock. I ran a few Supercoupes, none were even close, and a stock Turbo Coupe would have lost even worse.

yeah,i miss my 88 turbo coupe,not the most luxurious by any means,but the day after i got that car i manually adjusted the boost with about $3 in parts from the hardware store and had about 250hp,with the 3.55 gears and a five speed manual in a 3400lb car it was fast for the little cash i paid for it,abs and adjustable suspension made it quite a neat car for 1988, i later had a turbo failure and upgraded to a t3/4 garrett and made ~300hp with nothing else but a k&n air filter,it was fun times,but i had to move on to a more refined ride with family and all.

thanks for stirring up the memories though.
:)

Members online

No members online now.
Back