Smoke coming from rear of engine?

*Maverick*

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to list one of my Mark VIII engines for sale, so I've started cranking it and running it regularly for the last few days (it's still in the car). I've noticed smoke coming from the very back of the engine, just to the passenger side of the throttle body (this is a 93, so the TB is at the very rear). I did a google search, and it brought me back here to an old post from 2006 that didn't really provide any clear answer. I'm starting to think it's an exhaust leak, but I'm wanting to get opinions on ideas on other things it may be so I can hopefully rule them out. This is a very smooth-running engine all through the powerband, from idle to redline. On the post from 2006, someone mentioned it might be the EGR tube, and since the smoke is coming from the passenger side rear of the engine, I'll be checking into that tomorrow or whenever I get the time. Any other ideas of things I should check out? If it's an exhaust leak, I'm not concerned because this is a parts car and I don't plan on selling the exhaust system, but I'm mainly concerned about any possible problems with the engine, since I don't want to sell someone a bad engine.

Jack it up and see if its the o-ring for the transmission dipstick tube...if it ain't then either its your valve cover leaking or its just water from the a/c

I think you may be on to something, NoLimit. That's the same conclusion I came to today when it didn't smoke at all. Apparently, I've burned off the oil/trans fluid/whatever it was in the last few days I've been running the engine. As far as water from the A/C, it's definitely smoke, not steam. Thanks for the suggestions, and I'd also like to give special mention to our dearly departed member, Jibit. He's the one who mentioned the EGR tube in the 2006 thread I found in my search. I feel it's only right to pay my respects to a member who's still helping people, even to this day.

Members online

No members online now.
Back