Smashed into the curb

Soopa009

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Yep just as the title says I smashed into the curb on the way home today, so mad at myself. the front pass side wheel is toast after sliding right into the curb, it completely took a chump off the outermost lip and got a slow leak so by the time I get done writing this it will probably be flat. I dont care about the wheel or the tire really I just hope it didnt screw up my steering, which I am sure it did. I could still drive it with the bum wheel ( I was about 500 feet from my house when it happened ) while I taking it back home the alignment was all off center, I hope it was just from the wheel being bent/broken..

So mad at myself, I gotta find a new wheel and hope its just the wheel that is screwed up. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sucks to hear! Any special reason why you smashed the curb?

I would imagine loss of traction due to snow.

sorry to hear.

I did the same thing on my crammed 98 monte fwd, hit ice slid sideways and broke both pass side wheels in half, sucks to hear bro, hopefully it didn't mess anything else up- I ended up bending all kinds of suspension parts and split my front hub.

Yep just slid into the curb.. was going about 20mph. Think I am going to put the spare on and see if anything other then the wheel is totaled. Any have a gen1 chrome wheel out there!?

I would imagine loss of traction due to snow.

sorry to hear.

:BangTrue...damn blackls06 we sure are lucky with this weather! I tend to forget it's snowy at this time of the year up north.

Do you have stock wheels? It looks like it in your pic. If so, ebay is probably your best bet (which I'm sure you knew.) You could also probably get your wheel fixed. I took one of my wheels in after being an idiot and hitting a curb hard enough to completely pop the tire......http://www.wheelcollision.com/

I live about 20 minutes from them but I think you can ship them wheels for them to fix. Not sure how much they would charge, but they did a pretty good job on my wheel and it was less expensive than a new wheel - if you plan to buy a used one on ebay, fixing it will probably cost just as much if not more so not worth it. If you want more information on Wheel Collision Center, let me know - I can gladly relay my experience(s) with them.

:BangTrue...damn blackls06 we sure are lucky with this weather! I tend to forget it's snowy at this time of the year up north.

Indeed we are.

Those look like the gen I sport wheels....plenty of them on ebay for under $200.

sigh.... chrome gen 1 sport wheels, scrounging to find a ls in a crap yard. I might just buy new tires for my summer wheels and slap them up for a couple months left of winter :(
IMAG0164.gif

IMAG0163.gif

IMAG0162.gif

How its still holding air? I dunno....

But the alignment is so screwed up I dont plan on driving it anywhere.. Looks like no friday classes for me!

that sucks, hopefully the suspension is alright. Luckily no body damage.

You smacked that thing pretty good. If at full lock (trying to turn when she just won't turn no more, oh :q:q:q:q, oh :q:q:q:q) I'd get the rest of the suspension checked for sure. how does the tire look? they usually take the hit more than the rim

...... while I taking it back home the alignment was all off center, I hope it was just from the wheel being bent/broken..

A bent rim may cause the steering wheel to wobble side to side due to the changes in the toe during wheel rotation. If the steering wheel is now to one side you've got other issues. I don't remember if Gen1 uses a slip joint in the column to rack connection, which on side impact can rotate if your hold the steering wheel tightly. If it's a hard square connection, then the rack, subframe, or bent control arms / mounts could be at fault.

I bent the backside of one of my 20" chrome wheels on a Town Car I had. It leaked air and no place could repair the wheel. So, I accepted my loss and called up the company to buy a new one and lo and behold, they discontinued the damn wheel! I search coast to coast for a wheel and could not find one. Online, everywhere. I bought the rims for $1000 and two years later I am taking a set of wheels to the yard and getting scrap prices for them. I lost my a$$ on that damn deal. And trying to sell a set of low pro 20" tire in the state of Minnesota with these $hitty roads is also nearly impossible so I lost my ass there too. Could be worse dude, but I feel your pain.

I'd definitely get the car up on a lift and have it looked over.

Tire seems fine.. like I said it still has air in it. I am going to slap the spare on in the am and hopefully drive to a shop for inspection

I did that back about 5 years ago. It left a triangular dent into the wheel about 2 inches in size. The alignment was f'd and steering wheel off center. After a new wheel and tire, the dealer was able to get it aligned just fine. You should be okay.

The tire may hold air, but the chords are likely gone. A bruised tire can let go at highway speeds and that's a whole 'nother animal.

Here's a wheel... http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-2005-L...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item27c16bb63f

That sucks man...definately get the suspension checked.

My ex hit a curb pretty hard in my '00 and tore up my 19" Mille Miglia EV-r's (which are being fixed as we speak). 1 bent and one dented. The real cost was a new knuckle, wheel bearing and tie rod ends. Even doing all the work myself was expensive. I figured the frame would be bent too but I had it checked and it was straight.

A bent rim may cause the steering wheel to wobble side to side due to the changes in the toe during wheel rotation. If the steering wheel is now to one side you've got other issues. I don't remember if Gen1 uses a slip joint in the column to rack connection, which on side impact can rotate if your hold the steering wheel tightly. If it's a hard square connection, then the rack, subframe, or bent control arms / mounts could be at fault.

2 seperate peices, rounded off scquare tubing (essentially) and has a set screw/bolt that goes all the way through both shaft pieces, so you would have to snap the bolt to get it to turn, and even then, it will only go about 25* in either direction. When I had my new motor put in back in 2009, the ford dealer forgot to install the set screw on the steering shaft, and I essentially had a giant dead zone on center (quite scary on the highway).

With that hard of a collision, I'd bet the inner rod is bent at least. Might have thrown the alignment of the lower control arm off as well.

Thanks everyone for the input, skipped classes today and my 8am teacher ended up canceling class anyways! ... winning

Headed outside (12 degrees) to work on the car now.. Wish me warmth and good luck!

Looks like some serious issues I am now having.. I just put the spare on and I started the car and its running at like 2-3 rpm's and I revved the engine up to like 4-5 rpm's and it just stayed there. And after I put the spare on I just rolled up and down the driveway and its got a big hiccup feeling in the front passenger side. I wasnt too sure but when I was putting the spare on the inner tie rod might have looked a little off center but I wasn't 100% sure. Everything else seemed to look in order when I left the tire on while jacked up, the tire had no movement or shimmy in any direction.

Not sure what is going on with it but I have to get it to a shop asap. From the looks of it so far this one is gunna hurt the bank.

Disregard that last post.. Not sure what the problem was there but it is running fine now. But still something is bent bad front end is jumping at a certain tire rotation spot.

Members online

No members online now.
Back