Slow fill

pragmatic

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
2000 LS, no check engine lights, no codes.

a year and a half ago my car was hit (left front) while parked, requiring replacement of left ball joint, left sway bar link, left upper control arm, left tie rod end (outer) plus bumper and hood. Ever since then I've had to slowly fill the fuel tank. I can get in the first 3 gallons a a regular speed then I need to trickle it in for the remaining 13.5 gallons. Any ideas of what I should be checking. I don't see anything wrong by the tanks but I must be missing something.

Check engine light on?
If so - then probably the tank vent system.

If not - maybe the rollover valve is stuck.

No check engine lights for the last six months and never one for any evap or vent systems. Only light was for low catalyst efficiency which was there before the accident, but since fixed.

Any suggestions for checking or fixing rollover valve. It does take the firs 3 gallons or so at regular fill speed its just the remaining 13 gallons that are slow.

No suggestions, and I'm not 100% on that guess. I would have expected the first three gallons to be slow too if it were the rollover.

Is it always the first three gallons that are okay, even if you start with half a tank instead of nearly empty?

@pragmatic,

you get this at all fuel pumps / gas stations ?

I have one near me that I frequent and it somewhat does the same, starts to click off when going full speed about half way through. Have to ease it in on half trigger, yet when I'm in town and I use other gas stations I don't have this problem.

Seems to be localized to this one gas station.

I get this at all pumps even non-vapor recovery pumps in the far north. I rarely get gas where I'm buying less than 16 gallons and usually closer to 17 (on occasion 17 1/2). I did buy 10 gallons recently (March) and I remember dribbling it in but I can't recall how much it took before slowing down. I will refill next time when its around 1/2 tank rather than waiting for the usual 1/8 tank.

It will pump fast for at least 3 and sometimes as many as 5 gallons (don't think I've ever gotten more than 5 1/2 before having to throttle down to a dribble). If it was more I'd suspect something with the connection between the two tanks. But its less than the volume one tank would take and more than the filler neck would hold. That and the accident marking its start has me stumped.

Yeah I'd hate to have to stand there and take that long to fill it. I know it pisses me off at just that one gas station near me where it happens, I'm only 20$ at that place, then catch the differance in town.

sounds like a clogged/pinched vent line...it could cause both slow filling and overfilling. This is because the air leaving the tank as you fill it will have nowhere to go except for directly out of the filler tube into the path of the incoming fuel.

Members online

Back