-Sinkin Lincoln-

HOT ROD LCN

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My 89 LSC was bought from a friend . As long As ive known the car, its rear end would be dropped (air bags deflated)when not running. Im talkin at least the past two years, up to the present.
My question is, should I be more concerned? is this bad for the wheel wells or anything else? It wont be registered to drive for at least two months, and plan on fixing it in that time.
Thats another question, has anyone taken good pictures of the rear air bag replacement or the o-ring procedure? thanks-

The compressor will be overworked having to air the rear bags from the ground every time you start the car. You should spend the $200 you have them function properly to ensure safety as well. There are detailed instructions with the bags you order most times.

Just had my rear bags changed today and boy am i happy ** 88 LSC change the rear bags and you will be glad you did. I also changed the solinoids as wells now i know i spelled that incorrect but you know what i mean. lol good luck with your car.:D

hey stinkin! wheredya go for em? how much all together? did you install it yerself? how hard was it? did you get solenoids too? Can you take the time to share your experience- itll surely gain you accolades as this is a major and recurring topic w/ mk7s.

HOT ROD LCN, you should check to make sure that the bags are the issue. From there you can either get Ford factory springs or aftermarket rebuilt springs. The aftermarket springs can be had from www.arnottindustries.com and www.strutmasters.com for ~$80 each. Arnott has detailed instructions on their website. It is a job that can easily be done with handtools in a driveway in about an hour.

As Josh just told you check ur bags first he was the one that directed me to strutmasters.com i ordered 2 rear bags 2 solinoids and a dryer all together with s/h was $250. took me less than an hr. to put all this on. had a friend let me use his shop cause he is also a lincoln lover im actually in the process of talking him into joining this website as well. But make sure its your nags 1st. I found that mine had cracks all in them and while i was driving the car would lower itself and my check suspension light would come on but now its fixed.

Also i really didnt need the dryer i just changed it because i was reading what the website said but your dryer may be fine..

Parts on their way!!!

Yesterday I ordered 2 bags and a dryer from strutmasters, they are supposed to be here tuesday. I have recently put car on road, and really love the air ride.Around here, there are some crappy roads, ruff r/r tracks, potholes that ive experienced in other cars. All i can say is, wow! Ill post my results after completion. Thanks fellas-

Ordered two air springs yeaterday!

Good luck!! See my post a couple down from yours.

And yes I do hold a grudge!!!!!!

COILS!

I got my coil conversion in. It took us about 6 hours without a lift or air tools.

You're not going to believe this but the OEM original struts and shocks were still in my post 190k mile car. breaking the strut bolts loose from the lower arm was a BITCH. Stone cold bitch.

I put it all back together, very easy job for the conversion. I replaced the shocks and struts with monroe sensatrac's.

I took it for a hundred mile road trip this evening, the ride is stiffer, feels more in touch with the road, more connected. Since my other daily driver is a 93 lighting, i LOVE the cushy ride this gives me. The lightning beats you to death on the rural illinois highways.

All in all, with my gold member discount, i spent less than 400 bucks on:

air to coil conversion kit
shocks
struts
new belt for the motor.

Note: the noob that had the car before me replaced the drivers front air spring and ride height sensor with the arnott parts. he didnt do any of the others. I have a basically new arnott air spring and ride height sensor. if anyone wants it send me a pm. i want 50 bucks for both parts together, and they do work fine.

the rest of the air stuff was shot. compressor was worn out, dryer wasn't sealing to the compressor either. the other 3 air springs were so dry rotted i can't believe i got the car back here to work on it.

Heck, I'll give you $20 plus pay for shipping just for the compressor/dryer, regardless if it works or not.

LuxurySportCoupe said:
I've got a working compressor that came off my vii you can have for 20+ shipping

Sounds good to me. I can either e-mail you a UPS label or you can just ship it and I'll refund for that. When I get the compressor, I'll send you some $. Do you have a PayPal acct?

American Air-1 said:
Sounds good to me. I can either e-mail you a UPS label or you can just ship it and I'll refund for that. When I get the compressor, I'll send you some $. Do you have a PayPal acct?

I buy and sell stuff daily. Sorry but nothing leaves my hands until i have cash in hand. I have paypal. If you want you can email me a ups label, i'll print it out. That way you pay exactly what the shipping cost is. At the same time shoot me 20 bucks for the compressor and dryer and i'll print the label and have it on its way shortly afterwards. :)

Recieved my package today, complete and on time, the bags DO have the arnott logo, so it is true. Ill put them on tomorrow, long day today- There was a thread about haynes manual, forgot who wrote it, but thats true as well. Not much Mark7 stuff, kinda vague. For example, the operation to access the window motor is something like 1. remove door panel !!!
So before I attempt this- where should I place jackstands??-Yes, this looks like the hard part of the operation-

happy day? sad day-well, i replaced the bags today-o rings and all-pumped up fine. Took it for a ride like a proud Papa, parked it in my driveway and just looked at it for a few minutes. it looked like the right side was a little higher. I figured, let it cool itself out, who knows. 3 hrs later i go for a ride and guess what i see? thats right, the check suspension light!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I immediately jump out of the car, and instead of being flat on its ass, the pass side is raising higher!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! could i have screwed up the height sensor somehow? i dunno- please dont talk to me about coils after ive spent the money and time, im not hearin it

Also, should I leave the air suspension switch on? I may need to drive it like this for a while, but just locally. the height difference may be about 1 1/2 -2 inches, its noticeable.

(I'll assume you replaced the front springs)The first thing that comes to mind and most probable, is that that side sensor may be disconnected from the ball stud. (I would turn the switch off until I had time to play with it) All the module knows is what the sensor(s) tell it. The sensors are the modules eyes so to speak. If the sensor is loose or in the "car is low" position, the pump WILL run for a maximum of 90 seconds. This is plenty of time to blow a brand new air spring to bits.....and trust me, it sounds like a shotgun going off!

Not knowing how you approached it, you may even have popped the sensor apart inside, which if so, you "should" be able to pop it back.

If the sensor is off, pop it back on and keep an eye on it. If it does it again, replace the little metal clip on the end of the sensor with one from a junkyard.

Yes, the fronts were replaced two years ago w/ factory bags. this was the reason i went with bags. This is also one of the reasons I went for a Lincoln. I need load leveling as i plan to do gigs w/ it, and maybe eventually, pull a small trailer. Thanks for your input, my man-if theres anything else you can think of-strutmasters sales guy said " ah, your fine " , ???

Oh, by the way, i was lucky enough this eve. to be in the right place, right time w/ my mark 7. a car show had just ended at a local strip mall, and what do i see pass in front of me? a triple black 79 continental, all original and gleaming! talked to the guy briefly and his buddy pulls up, in a black 59 conti-
crazy beautiful stuff!

HOT ROD LCN said:
Yes, the fronts were replaced two years ago w/ factory bags. this was the reason i went with bags. Thanks for your input, my man-if theres anything else you can think of-strutmasters sales guy said " ah, your fine " , ???QUOTE]

This may take forever doing it this way. Why don't you call me tomorrow and I'll help you get it working again. (423-487-4321)....and yes, if the car is riding unusually high with the switch on, you do run the risk of blowing a bag(spring). Don't worry, if you don't have any leaks, it won't hurt a thing riding around with the switch off.

Members online

No members online now.
Back