Should i move my post to this forum???

lastonestandin

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi LVC, im new on here, and in the Welcome Wagon forum i posted a thread introducing myself. I also added to that thread a big question that i am having with my new 2003 v8 lincoln and throttle body/etc codes. Should i have posted that here?? Or is it ok there and will hopefully get noticed/helped??

I can tell you I certainly don't frequent there. I can also tell you it's probably your coils, not your throttle body, particularly coil #4 by the PCM

I see you're from South Jersey. I used to go to Rowan. I've been to Ralph's junkyard in Williamstown a few times for LS parts

I can also tell you it's probably your coils, not your throttle body, particularly coil #4 by the PCM

this is my first guess. if you replaced your coils with cheaper aftermarket coils, you may have got a bad one (or two) right out of the box.

this is my first guess. if you replaced your coils with cheaper aftermarket coils, you may have got a bad one (or two) right out of the box.

i used this brand .... NEW Araparts™ brand copper ignition coils with boots and springs...

i replaced all 8....car only has about 3 miles on it since i replaced them lol

COPIED/PASTED FROM OTHER POST

OK OK....so my mechanic was able to get back to me with the final codes that my car is throwing. All seem to have to deal with the drive by wire/Throttle body. Well thats what i can gather after the short amount of time of goggling and reading on this site.

The codes are as follows:
P2135 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch"A"/B" Voltage Correlation

P2110 Throttle Actuator Control System- Forced Limited RPM

P2107 Throttle Actuator Control Module Processor

P2100 Throttle Actuator Control Motor Circuit/Open

P2106 Throttle Actuator Control System-Forced Limited Power

During cold starts, these codes or whatever are forcing the car to enter that stupid fail safe mode...and then usually once the car warms up, its totally fine basically...but with an CEL light on.

I recently replaced, meaning like a week ago, the coils and spark plugs already, as a first attempt as fixing this issue...the car ran a little better, but still was having this reoccurring codes/cold start up failsafe mode issue.
Me and my mechanic just recently tried a replacement throttle body, but the car still had the same codes and issues...the throttle body was NOT NEW, BUT a clean looking used part. MY mechanic said that when he installed the throttle body though he noticed that one of the tubes had a very small like what looked to be a rust hole in the tube. So he pulled the rubber hosing down further to cover it, which i figured wasn't a prob, and im just mentioning it for the sake of things. Since then, i have taken that throttle body off (to send it back since it didn't fix issue) and put back the original, which obviously still has all the codes. My mechanic said that he believes that it isn't the throttle body, being that we did replace it and the same thing occurred, regardless of the small hole on he attached metal tube. He said it can prob only be two other parts, the accelerator pedal switch, or the PCM. In his history though, he said he has never had to replace a pedal switch, because it is usually always the throttle body. ANNDDD im really hoping it isn't the most expensive part, the PCM. So im at a stand still with this dam car that i just got guys, and honestly dont know what to do next. Should i try another throttle body making sure there are no small imperfections??? Skip to the accelerator pedal switch??? And then try the PCM last?!?!?! Me and my mechanic really dont want to "throw" parts at the car and just try to figure the issue out that way, so HONESTLY ANYYY HELP/ADVICE that you guys can give would be greatly appreciated. I dont want to have to sell this car dirt cheap because i cant get this stupid problem solved.... Thanking you in advance..

As Frank said, your coil in position #4 is misfiring and the Electromagnetic interference is distorting the PCM causing it to store false Throttle Body codes. It'll run like crap and buck the transmission, ruin your CATs if you keep driving it like that.

Not a word of a lie ... I just went through this couple months back ...

you need to purchase 8 brand new OEM Ford coils along with 8 brand new NGK iridium plugs, gapped to 1mm and install those to resolve this problem.

I bought a 2004 LSE V8 for 1300$ that had that exact same problem which had just prior to that been to the dealership where they put on a new Throttle Body and position sensor to the tune of 2700$ and it still left the customer with a the same problem. They recommended a new PCM after that. Seller was very frustrated with it all. Just wanted to part with it and end the headache.

I knew of the coil #4 EMI/RFI to the PCM issue causing Throttle Body codes and Failsafe mode issue and bought it immediately.

Got it home, replaced coil 4 with a spare known to be good OEM coil and the problem went away instantly.

Followed by 8 brand new Visteon Ford coils and 8 NGK plugs, returned the car back to beast mode. Then fuel filter and couple of sea foam into half tanks to clean it out further.

When I pulled the old coils and plugs out, I found all sorts of different variances of plugs and coils. You can't half fast coils or plugs, here and there, they have to all be refreshed with OEM coils and NGK plugs at the same time. It's just best that way. Double, triple check your plug wells for leaks and ensure all coil connectors click firmly in place when installing new coils.

GLWR

EDIT - - - -

Took the Coil Covers off from the 04 LSE V8 with full intentions of swapping out all 8 coils and all 8 plugs.

So far found bottom most rear bolts not installed on either side since dealership work, (missing) included with that, a ton of gasket sealer applied on the top side of the covers in an attempt keep something out.

Going after #4 coil first, the one that is suspect and known to radiate EM interference towards the PCM (which is hiding directly behind the firewall nearby).

I see no evidence on Bank 1, that neither of coils #1-2-3-4 are upgrades, all seem original and have XXXXX-BE revision.

I do take notice of the newer looking coils on Bank 2, #5-6-8, 7 remains original.

Although the replacement coils end with an -BB revision, which indicate a lower revision from the original factory installed -BE. Not sure about that one <shrugs> I guess it's all what lays around on the shelves in the stock rooms I suppose.

I don't even bother pulling the plugs just yet .... I remove coil #4, I talk to it a bit, I talk to myself a bit and came up with a test solution.

From when I changed all coils and plugs in my 01 LS V8, I threw #3 in the garbage as it was the culprit back then and kept the remaining 7 known good coils.

I grabbed one of those, went with the shiniest, prettiest one I could find and seated it in coil well #4.
bolted it down and clicked the connector in place.

I touch nothing else!!! no other coils or even it's connectors were touched.

Clear the tools, started it up!

GUESS WHAT?

Idles perfectly, no miss during idle. Cleared the already stored p2107 and p2110 codes, faulty throttle body and position sensor.

Start Stop Restart a couple of times, up to temp, no new codes, still idles nicely.

Closed the hood, took it for a spin around the neighbor hood with no tags, disabled TC and beat on it for a bit.

Returned to the driveway, still no ETC fail safe mode codes and still running smooth.

Therefor,
ETC Engine Fail Safe mode + P2107 and P2110 codes = Bad coil on #4 causing EM interference to the PCM.

I did note the brand new shinny throttle body and position sensor compliments of the PO and the stealership he took it to.

Didn't resolve the issue and was not needed but it is indeed appreciated.

Moral of the story ::
You too can buy an 04 LSE with 82K mi for 1300 cash and put a single used coil in #4 and resell it for a generous profit.

I'm saving my brand new Visteon's. I'm going to move some of the coils around and put the new NKG plugs in but that's all for now.
Any further misfires, I got a whole box full of known-to-be-good working LS coils.

That idea might change but for now the Visteon's stay on the shelf, if anything they'll go in my 01 and I'd share those relative new Motorcraft OEM coils with the 04.

Pics to follow.

Looking for the PO phone number to see if he want's to buy it back for hmmmm.... $3800-4000 ?!?!? Makes for a great winter beater! LOL

Sorry just dumping some pics,
gotta head into work shortly and start the Pete for another weeks trip.

View attachment 828474646

View attachment 828474647

View attachment 828474648

Pains me to separate with these nice Visteon coils. Can't get them anymore. Paid 220$ for all 8 couple years back.

View attachment 828474649

Passenger side, #4 was bad causing ETC fail safe mode. Original coils and #4 had Motorcraft plug while others had NKG GP's, below OE standards and all where over gaped. No oil or water in any of the plug wells.

View attachment 828474650

Drivers side, all but #7 had fresh coils, all had NGK GP's and over gaped. #5 seemed to give a misfire code on WOT. No oil or water in any of the plug wells.

View attachment 828474651

Labeled all the removed coils, throwing #4 in the garbage, keeping others as known-good spares. Labeled #5 with a question mark.

View attachment 828474652

Little damp and humid to be doing this outside but the princess is taking up all I got for a garage.

View attachment 828474653

Passenger side completed, all cleaned up, fresh coils & Plugs.

View attachment 828474654

Drivers side completed, all cleaned up, fresh coils & Plugs.

View attachment 828474655

All done, coil covers will go back on next week, want to give them a little color first. Car not being driven.

All in all, the dealerships threw a Throttle body & position sensor at it and informed the PO he would need a new PCM next.
ETC failsafe mode, P2107 and P2110 was due to failure of coil #4 freaking out the nearby PCM, ran like crap, after replacement of coil #4 with a used coil, problem resided but still overall a terrible idle. You could hear and feel it as it idled, WOT threw another misfire code on another cylinder.

All new top of the line coils and plugs gaped correctly with some di-electric grease in the boots cleared everything up!

Idles perfectly, runs like a raped ape, Wide Open Throttles like the day it left the plant.

Very happy with the outcome, have more to do to this LSE but end of the day, money well spend. :rolleyes:

I'm sure the entire cooling system will need a few hundred soon enough and I'll be replacing some suspension parts as well.

Little touch up on the cosmetics here and there and it should give my other LS'es a run for their money. :cool:

Just noted that you have several other then P2107 and P2110, Throttle sensor errors associated with this ... may be more to it by the looks.

He has both throttle body and pedal assembly codes. The odds are that both of these didn't break at the same time. It is much more likely that the codes are caused by EMI from the cheap coils. All eight COPs should be replaced with Motorcraft, the spark plugs should be replaced (even if you just replaced them), and the gaps on all the new plugs must be set to exactly 1.0mm (even if they are pre-gap'd, some or all are probably wrong).

okok...let me get this straight, kinda is a lot to grasp. So as of right now you guys are basically telling me to replace the ALREADY new DG515 Araparts coils AND NGK V-Power plugs?!?! That just because they arent oem motorcrafts they will make the car malfunction like this?!?! I cant believed these cars are that temperamental... Joegr i appreciate all your help, as well as everyone elses help, I just cant wrap my head around that being the issue....since i replaced both the coils and plugs new!

I guess I might have to tell my mechanic that we're going to have to try this route first...ughhhh, thanks guys...ill def keep you posted

Try performing the advised fix first. You have very knowledgeable advisors here. New OEM Motorcraft cops will run you between $46-$60 a piece, and you need 8. Replace all of your plugs as well. Don't get a whole set of them off ebay or amazon for $160 thinking you've found a great deal. You're just getting bent.

Try Rockauto.com and get the Motorcraft cop, it will be listed under ignition coil. Yes, this repair will cost you over $500. No, it wont guarantee to fix your problem. However, it more than likely is your problem, and if it just so happens not to be... you'll need to replace them all eventually and by eventually I mean much sooner than you'd anticipate.

I got lucky and got my whole set with plugs for $350 from a member here that sold his LS yet still had a bunch of parts.

Good luck, and you have help here so we got you covered.

Try performing the advised fix first. You have very knowledgeable advisors here. New OEM Motorcraft cops will run you between $46-$60 a piece, and you need 8. Replace all of your plugs as well. Don't get a whole set of them off ebay or amazon for $160 thinking you've found a great deal. You're just getting bent.

Try Rockauto.com and get the Motorcraft cop, it will be listed under ignition coil. Yes, this repair will cost you over $500. No, it wont guarantee to fix your problem. However, it more than likely is your problem, and if it just so happens not to be... you'll need to replace them all eventually and by eventually I mean much sooner than you'd anticipate.

I got lucky and got my whole set with plugs for $350 from a member here that sold his LS yet still had a bunch of parts.

Good luck, and you have help here so we got you covered.

thank you guys for the amazing support....its been a while since i have moddified a car but i have to admit that hands down this forum is hella' more support in terms of helping one another then the previous honda and infiniti forums i have been a part off.....thank you guys again

guys can i used the Denso 6736004 ignition coil. On Rockauto.com they are listed as OEM equipment, and my mechanic also mentioned them to me as well.....ideas?!?!?

guys can i used the Denso 6736004 ignition coil. On Rockauto.com they are listed as OEM equipment, and my mechanic also mentioned them to me as well.....ideas?!?!?

You really want to chance doing this again? Those are not OEM, they and many others are advertised as being "OEM like, or OEM quality, or meets OEM specs, and on and on. There's a reason they are $32 and Motorcraft is $56. In this case, they say "OE Identical." Anyone can make that claim, including whatever coils you have in now.

So, you go with the Denso, and save $200. If it works and you no longer have throttle body codes, then great. If not, what do you do? Do you say well it could still be the coils and get the OEM ones? That's another $450 (you are now $704 in, not counting buying plugs again). If it's now fixed (95% chance it will be), then great. If not, then even more to spend.

They're telling you right,Last one! I listened to them a few years ago,but Ford didn't.They tried the pedal unit,and then the motor on throttle,even though I'd told them what this forum said.....that it was electrical interference from the coils. After they fooled around for a coupla-three days throwing parts, they called me to pick it up. When I got there I asked what was the cause? They said they had replaced 2 coils and the plugs.LOL! No,I didn't have to pay for their test parts. don-ohio :)^)

Would there be any value to swapping coils to at least try to positively ID the problem?

You really want to chance doing this again? Those are not OEM, they and many others are advertised as being "OEM like, or OEM quality, or meets OEM specs, and on and on. There's a reason they are $32 and Motorcraft is $56. In this case, they say "OE Identical." Anyone can make that claim, including whatever coils you have in now.

That. And ignore the parts of the name that say "DG515" with anything labeled anything other than "Motorcraft". DG515 is just a cross-reference number. Araparts is about as reputable as a name like DragonFart.

Watch out for cheap coil/plug kits with Motorcraft plugs but unnamed coils.

even though I'd told them what this forum said.....

"Everyone comes in with some bit of information they read online about how it's this one simple fix but they have no idea what they're talking about"

That's what I was told when my Taurus had an overdrive failure and brought in info about this little clip known to shift in the solenoid pack. You know what it was? Because I don't. They said the clip was fine and I got a new transmission.

But at least everything LS-related has been spot-on

Would there be any value to swapping coils to at least try to positively ID the problem?...

If it's RFI from one or more bad coils, moving them around may not change anything enough to alter the problem.

Would there be any value to swapping coils to at least try to positively ID the problem?

That. And ignore the parts of the name that say "DG515" with anything labeled anything other than "Motorcraft". DG515 is just a cross-reference number. Araparts is about as reputable as a name like DragonFart.

Watch out for cheap coil/plug kits with Motorcraft plugs but unnamed coils.

"Everyone comes in with some bit of information they read online about how it's this one simple fix but they have no idea what they're talking about"

That's what I was told when my Taurus had an overdrive failure and brought in info about this little clip known to shift in the solenoid pack. You know what it was? Because I don't. They said the clip was fine and I got a new transmission.

But at least everything LS-related has been spot-on
FDR ill def look out for annnny brand named DragonFart...lmao...but i see your point and totally appreciate the info. Already checking around for the best deal on OEM motorcrafts coils

If it's RFI from one or more bad coils, moving them around may not change anything enough to alter the problem.

hey Joegr, the part number for MOTORCRAFT coils on Rockauto.com is DG529 sound right?? What about plugs, is SP468 correct??

hey Joegr, the part number for MOTORCRAFT coils on Rockauto.com is DG529 sound right?? What about plugs, is SP468 correct??

Yes, those are good numbers. Do be aware that Rockauto has been known to ship cheaper brands in place of the one you ordered, even going so far as to you the box for the correct brand.
I stay away from them.

Yes, those are good numbers. Do be aware that Rockauto has been known to ship cheaper brands in place of the one you ordered, even going so far as to you the box for the correct brand.
I stay away from them.

noppe..didnt know that.....oook, darn, so who you guys recommend for a good deal/service?

hey joegr, i was wrong with the part number for the plugs... will these work??
8 Genuine Motorcraft Spark Plug SP-497 SP-467 AGSP32FM

Found a ebay account for 399 shipped for the coils and the plugs. Coils where dg 529, so i know im good with them from your previous confirmation.

As for the car, little update...my mechanic did some further trial and error. He removed the ARAPARTS coils from cylinder 4 and 3, because his new computer/scanner that he just bought showed that they where actually not even firing and those cylinders where not running basically at all. He looked through the old coils that i we took out the car, and realized half where OEM motor-craft, and the other half generic, like basically what i was putting in it. He put two of the used motor-crafts in 3 and 4....and pretty much he told me that all those codes when away. He said the car didn't act up going in reverse upon initial startup like it sometimes did, and it pretty much ran fine down the street. He said the only code that was still on now was a misfire code, but he said that can easily be from him playing around with the plugs and coils moving them around to get the car to run correctly. I forgot to say that he took out all the aftermarket plugs too to check all gaps to make sure they were 1mm........sooo he basically said the "info here" is leading in the right direction and for me to go ahead and order the OEM coils and plugs... fingers crossed****
Thank you guys so far....oh, here is a pic of the car...figured i show you guys since your helping so much....
2015-11-21 16.51.01.jpg2015-11-21 16.50.50.jpg2015-11-21 16.51.43.jpg

2015-11-21 16.51.01.jpg

2015-11-21 16.50.50.jpg

2015-11-21 16.51.43.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back