Shifter moves, won't engage gear.

PeteyCracks

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
2000 Continental, center console shifter. Cranked it up and put it in reverse, moved about a foot and then locked up. Shifter will move as it should, have to press the brake pedal and the button to move it out of park, and will freely move through the shifter, but it won't engage any gear. Checked the tranny fluid after letting it run for a bit, still had a good cranberry color to it and no burnt smell. Tried to trace the shift linkage cables, seems like one goes thru the firewall, under the battery, and up around into the fan and radiator area. The other disappeared on me somewhere up into the left of the driver's side and i'm assuming, definitely could be wrong, that it goes up to the dash for the display. No clue what the black line with a bracket and thin steel cable connected to a pink plastic hook is. I don't recall smelling anything burn up after it happened, and the tranny hadn't been acting up or slipping. Kinda at a loss here, tranny's got somewheres around 60k miles on it. Any ideas here? Didn't throw a check engine light either.

The shifter cable connects to the transmission just under the intake hose, close to the battery. You should be able to see it move there when someone moves the gear selector inside the car.

When you move the shifter, does the PRND21 indicator change too?

Ok I'm an idiot, turns out when I grabbed what i thought was the shifter cable coming through the firewall was the cable to the hood latch... Anyways, yes the indicator will change. Shift cable was fine, I manually engaged the transmission into neutral by moving the...metal thing the cable attaches to ontop of the tranny. After I did that, the transmission would engage gears via manually doing or by using the shifter and you can see it move when someone moves the shifter. Was able to put it in neutral and roll the car. However, the car still won't drive when it engages a gear and you push the gas.

Members online

No members online now.
Back