Shift Kit for LS

Lucky_Ls

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone installed this shift kit for similar in there LS? The one I’m looking at is 3 quarters of the way down on the link and is part number #55SK for 5R55N Transmission. I’m seriously thinking about getting it but I’d like to know any feed back from anyone who has one in there LS. I started another thread about transmission stalls and lincoln00 put up this like. Again any feed back would be helpful.

http://www.transmissioncenter.org/5r55s_mustang_v6.htm

Also the Carbon Fiber Bands are something else I have questions about. If anybody knows how these can help with the performance of my car that would be helpful as well.

I have not put a transgo shift kit in my lincoln, But i have ran them before and the would have to say they are the best shift kit brand on the market!

Do you have a programmer...(SCT 2) I don't know if you will need to go back to stock transmission settings or not, if you do have one.....

I'm seriously considering a shift kit for my LS. Obviously I've never put one in a LS, but I did put a transgo in my Camaro that had the 700-R4 4 speed auto. Yes, it was a computer controlled transmission. I was told by several transmission people that transgo is the best and most complete kit. Since the car was pushing around 500hp, I went with the firmest and most aggressive shifts and I loved it. This was about 3 years ago so I don't remember the exact details, and I don't remember if the shifts (firm/soft) were adjustable or if once you put the kit in it just makes all shifts really firm at all times. I'm not sure if I'de like that in a "luxury sedan"...

Found this link- It tells you what the shift kit improves and how it helps
http://www.transgo.com/sk_ford.php

Does anyone know the difference(pros and cons) between a shift kit and a programmer raising the line pressure for firmer shifts? I've heard that a shift kit is better for the tranny than raising the line pressure with a programmer for reliability reasons. Other thoughts?

Does anyone know the difference(pros and cons) between a shift kit and a programmer raising the line pressure for firmer shifts? I've heard that a shift kit is better for the tranny than raising the line pressure with a programmer for reliability reasons. Other thoughts?

I have a B&M shift programmer for my S10 (three selectable firmnesses) and it works great, it was $45 and took five minutes to hook up (two wires)

I haven't looked around, but if there was something similar available for the LS i would be all over it.

These transmissions tend to run hot in stock form..:(

yea but a shift kit makes it improve the shift with out working the pump harder... thats the difference.... pumps and clutches are what go bad in a automatic.. I have hear the trans go is the way to go because it shifts soft when cruising and hard when the its under hard load...

how difficult is it to install one of these? i'm sorry but i really don't know much about this particular upgrade but looks like it might be worth it. any way of messing anything up after it's been installed? TIA

I called two trans shops in my area... they will install a shift kit for 100 buck.. and that price is including the price of the shift kit!

Thinks for the feed back guys! I get an extra pay check on the 29th of this month and will make my decision then. Leaning towards a YES!
As for those bands? Anybody know what those are for or how they can improve for performance of the transmission?

like they say... harder shifts... and its strong then the stock bands...

I wouldn't mess with those unless your doing a tranny rebuild!

Okay so no transmission band unless rebuild, gotcha.
So it sounds like just the shift kit is all I need. In what case would I need a new solenoid pack? Rebuild as well?

The basic trouble with the 5R55N trans (and its siblings) is that the 1-2 shift is actually a shift into 1-overdrive, and the 2-3 is an 'off' on the OD band and a simultaneous band application of the third gear band. The timing is hard to do without a 'flare' between 2-3 or a momentary 'lockup' as both bands are applied at once.

In addition, the hard parts in the trans are not very 'beefy' and therefore are prone to fail from too much torque.
KenS from Ben's Place

Once we get all the information we need on this subject there needs to be a sticky made on this.
I have another question, will there be any problem with over heating in the transmission after I do the shift kit upgrade? I have no over heating issues at the moment I'm just concerned about the future (don't want to have to rebuild it right after I put it back together).

Here is the above mentioned shift kit:

IMG_0500.JPG

#55SK. Transgo Shift Kit fits 5R55S / 5R55W / 5R55N. Comes with pump alignment tool. Fixes Lockup Complaint: Upgraded parts and data. Reduces need for a new pump and valve body. Fixes: Won’t move—cold noise. Has: Pump Accumulator assembly; Lockup valve and pump alignment tool; EPC relief assemblies. Cost $68.00

99-02 Lincoln LS & “E” Jaguar

Heat is created, to a significant extent, by slippage. If it doesn't slip, it's less likely to overheat. It's also less likely to break.
KS

Members online

No members online now.
Back