Sct

cannons_custom

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So what is the difference between the Xcal 2 and 3? I'm looking at getting a 3 from a guy with a mustang for a pretty good deal. Who would I talk to about setting up some programs and how would I go about putting them on the flash programmer?

No one's having luck with ILLS, so probably go with Torrie. www. fastpartsnetwork.com

Make sure the guy tunes his car back to stock. Otherwise you'll have to pay like 150 to unlock it.

So i found out Torrie wants 150 for a tune. If all I have is cold air intake and my mufflers cut off for now is it even worth paying that or should I just throw the lincoln ls program that comes on the sct into my car? I was wondering if anyone had a similar set up that I could get a program from? Sorry new to this but very interested in buildin the performance in my 3.9.

+1 on this one cuz i have the same set up and i want to know if it will make much difference. so are you running a sraight pipe setup cuz im choppin my mufflers off fridaya nd i wanna know if its gonna b extremely loud. let me know if u have any videos or pics of ur setup

It's not technically a straight pipe setup on mine because I still have my cats on the car. I just cut my mufflers where the pipe starts to 45 away from the cats and added some pipe and tips. Not extremely loud but sounds good at idle and under load. I'll shoot a video of it tonight for you to hear it.

As far as 150, that's for 3 tunes. ILLS would do single tunes for 50, but no one can get a hold of him.

I would not try loading a tune from a different vehicle onto your car. Even if it was an LS, you would need the same strategy code for it to work (well, for sure the same strategy would work. Some others MAY work too, but if you don't have the knowledge or the tuning software, best to play it safe.)

What do most suggest for the 3 programs the sct will hold in the bank? I thought 150 was for 1 setting so thats not bad now that I see it.

You don't really need three. I ran one of the three from Torrie and then one from ILLS (KBX Tuning who nobody can get a hold of). It's worth it for the firmer shifts and for the 2000-2002 cars to start in 1st gear in SST mode. Other than that, it's not going to make your LS an animal or anything.

You don't really need three. I ran one of the three from Torrie and then one from ILLS (KBX Tuning who nobody can get a hold of). It's worth it for the firmer shifts and for the 2000-2002 cars to start in 1st gear in SST mode. Other than that, it's not going to make your LS an animal or anything.

NYC LS8 or should I say NYC 300C SRT8 :) Anyways Torrie said he would do 3 for 150 and I feel im wasting money if I don't get three. I don't expect it to be an animal I just wanted to have it for when I start building the car up so at that time I can get it dyno tuned.

You can get the three, but I never bothered with anything but the performance one from him. I just wanted to give you a heads up on the not being an animal thing, because I thought it would transform the car. Silly me. :D

I think it helps a lot. Especially with the transmission. I guess i was one of the last to hear from ILLS cause i got my tunes when everyone was saying he disappeared but his tune worked wonders. My tranny would hit hard on the shifts form 3rd to 4th like 75% of the time and now it shifts so smooth 85% of the time. Here and there a get a rough hard hit with the shift but still not nearly as hard as without the tune. It prob exteneded the life of my tranny making it smoother. It wont turn it into a beast but it wakes the car up.

He has this performance company or something.KBX performance http://www.kbxperformance.com/ . He put a turbo on a ls and he does tuning. A lot of people on here got their tunes form here. I read his name more on tunes when I first joined the forum so I went with him. i saw torries name being mention here and ther and I think he was one of the first LS tuners. ILLS had real good custumoer service from what I hear and did good work with tunes. You can look up some threads started by ILLS to get an idea. Just look at people signatures, most have the mods they have on their ls and a lot have tunes and usually saying who they got it from.

Torrie ( torrie@fastpartsnetwork.com ) is the tuner that started the LS tuning... We worked through several issues with SCT and were able to get it working....

ILLS is a tuner on this forum, Torrie is a tuner on LLSOC. The key is to get someone you trust and can work with.

So Quick, I read a few older threads on the start in 2nd on the gen 1 and tuners couldn't get it to start in 1 yet. So Torrie was able to tune the ls to start in 1st now?

So i found out Torrie wants 150 for a tune. If all I have is cold air intake and my mufflers cut off for now is it even worth paying that or should I just throw the lincoln ls program that comes on the sct into my car? I was wondering if anyone had a similar set up that I could get a program from? Sorry new to this but very interested in buildin the performance in my 3.9.

when I first got my Xcal3 I loaded the LS tune that came preloaded on the SCT unit ...it's a pretty good tune right out of the box...did wonders for the tranny...firmed up the shifts and downshifts were more easily accessible...throttle response was more refined as well in my Gen2

I raised the rev limit with it and turned on the fan sooner...all in all a good starting point tune and it's already on your tuner...that is if you have the older X3 or SF3...I don't think the newer X3 has preloaded canned tunes anymore

anyways, since then I went with a tune from Robert (Ills) from KBX and the midrange got thicker.... roll racing from about 30 turned sick...didn't do much for the topend though...I think it was worth the 50 bux for the tune...besides Robert is such a cool guy I would have givin him the duckets for nothing...well..maybe not

next up...:nos: and a full dyno tune at Jannetty Racing in Conn....might not be worth it on a N/A LS but I should get the spray dialed in

..........................................anyone have a spare tranny lying around

So Quick, I read a few older threads on the start in 2nd on the gen 1 and tuners couldn't get it to start in 1 yet. So Torrie was able to tune the ls to start in 1st now?

on some cars.

We got hold of a european pcm code - where they were allowed to start in 1st, and Torrie was able to build a tune on top of it. The problem is that since it is a specific PCM code - it is not compatible with all the LS PCM versions.

For example - I tried it - no luck, but other LLSOC members tried it and it worked fine.

I'm looking at getting a 3 from a guy with a mustang for a pretty good deal.

Be forewarned, "that mustang guy" is selling that device "for a reason".

Do some research on the X-3 devices, you shouldn't have to look very long or hard to find numerous message board posts {not on LVC) mentioning a great deal of issues with these devices that SCT released to the dealers before they were properly tested and deemed "bug free".

I would and AM sticking with the X-2 devices until such time as the newer devices can be proven to work as advertised with no BS issues.

Now.. if you feel like being a guinea pig and beta testing SCT's new hardware, at the risk of hosing your PCM or toasting the device.. feel free.

I hope you have a shipping account with UPS or someone, because that device WILL make atleast 1 trip to florida...

"you've been warned".

I havent made my appt yet, maybe in the spring we could meet up? Get the tunes done then head up to Lebenon or something?

sounds good...probably will wait until the spring for the spray and the tune...car is not a DD anyway (had the car for a year now, went from 18k on her to a little over 19k) so I'm not in any hurry

Maybe Ted will give us a break if we dyno both cars same day...

wow...huge group dyno day...two cars...woot

Members online

No members online now.
Back