Rust on Speaker Grill

Empty Nest LS

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi
Some guy ran into me about two years ago. I had both driver side doors replaced but recently I have noticed rust on my speaker grill as in the photo.
Does anybody know what paint or paint colour I can find to respray this grill? When I remove the grill I'll check where the water is entering.
Thanks

Speaker Grill.jpg

My speaker grills were like that when I bought my car. Your interior looks the same as mine. I picked up a little can of Ford dove gray at the local parts store if I remember correctly. It did the trick. Somebody else may be able to give you the exact colour name.

You could pop the grill off and take it into the store with you to see which matches up the best

it looks like water is leaking in from the door (or window) seal, i can see water on the door, or do you have a moonroof, it could be from the drain tube either being clogged, cracked or disconected. check around the middle to the top of the A-pillar for the leak

also please dont paint over the rust, remove the rust first, then paint

Thanks for the advice. I shall try the Ford paint. I might even try to see if the paint store can mix up a can of paint from sampling the colour on the grill.

And thanks 1LoudLS. I should have noted when I took the picture it was raining. There are no visible leaks but there's probably an issue behind that door panel.

Cheers

The LS I bought was not driven during the winter months, and I'm thinking it wasn't in a heated garage. As far as I can figure out, just the heating and cooling and storage of the car over the winter caused some condensation build up creating the surface rust. When I popped the covers off, there was no signs of water leakage inside the door or on the door. I've had the car for a year and a half and its never come back yet (I now drive it year round).

As to what color it is: Just check the label on the driver's door frame. You'll see it when the door is open. It should have a 2 letter code for int color.

Have one

I have one that color if you are interested. $25 delivered (will cost $10-$15 to ship it). PM me if interested and I will send pics. It's in good shape.

I have an '03 V8 with a moonroof. My driver's side speaker grill seems to have a little discoloration/rust. I thought my doors were leaking but it turned out to be caused by the drain holes from the moonroof not being connected to the drain hose at all. Here's a thread on that and how to pull down the headliner to check:
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=49441&highlight=sunroof+drain
Apparently water was coming down the A pillar and into the dash, finally dripping onto the speaker grill and collecting in the little map holder under it. Does your map holder fill with water when it rains? If so the fix is very easy and described in the link above. 15-20 minute fix.. cant believe i drove around for a year like that.. DUH

I recommend using a toothbrush to gently remove the rust from the speaker grills. After that, you can then use a light coating of your favorite paint sealant or wax to protect the speaker grill from rusting again!

Empty Nest,

My grills looked like yours a couple years ago... and this is what I did, with no problems since.

Scrub both sides of the grill with a stainless steel brush, (about the size of a toothbrush). It will get inside all of the holes.

Then wipe down with mineral spirits and let dry. Prime with self etching primer ... and paint to match, or color of choice.

I don't like playing around with rust, peeling, or abrasion anymore. I use a good paint sealant or wax (Wolfgang, Chemical Guys, Pinnacle, Meguires,... a lot of excellent choices out there) to coat any susceptible trim pieces (speaker grills, sill plates,...) It makes a big difference.

Members online

No members online now.
Back