RPM issue

burning.empire

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Tried looking it up but couldn't find anything helpful.

2001 V8

Just got back from a 2 hour trip home. Next morning I start the car and the RPM blast up to 2000 and stays there. I try to kick it down and the RPMs jumps to 2300 and stays, kick it down again and it jumps 2600 and stays. After 15 seconds it eventually creeps down to 1500 and won't kick down and farther.
Put it into D5 and the car instantly wants to go. The screwy thing is, as I'm driving and I apply the brake, I can feel the engine fighting me. It still wants to go. There is pressure on the brake as if I am pushing the gas and brake at the same time. Not very safe at all. If I stop at a red light and throw it into park, the RPMs shoot back up to 1500-1800.I am praying it isn't a transmission issue. Learning from you people I know this car has a lot of engine parts I've never even heard of like upper and lower Chain tensioners and whatnot.

Any ideas. My mechanic is great. But I just wanted a heads up with what I'm dealing with beforehand.

Clean your MAF sensor, and take some carb cleaner and clean your throttle body. Make sure to clean around the seal. If that doesn't work, try changing the TB gasket and make sure the bolts are tight to spec.

clean the iac too. If its dirty and sticking open, it will cause idle issues.

you know there was a sh*tload of salt on the road and my car is a mess. I'll check under the hood for any buildup of crap. thanks people.

FYI- don't use carb cleaner on the IAC. Use throttle body cleaner. I used carb cleaner on my IAC, and didn't notice anything negative, but I've read that you are not supposed to use carb cleaner.

It's your IAC or Idle Air Bypass Valve, not the MAF. You'll probably need to replace it, but you can try cleaning it. Use only throttle body safe cleaner.

FYI- don't use carb cleaner on the IAC. Use throttle body cleaner. I used carb cleaner on my IAC, and didn't notice anything negative, but I've read that you are not supposed to use carb cleaner.
I've never had a problem using carb cleaner on my MKIII supra, nor on my CRV K20/K24. I've been using it for years without problem. Some newer TBs have more sensitive sensors and seals. If you don't douse it in carb cleaner you won't have an issue. TB safe cleaner is just a lot less harsh and take a lot more of it to clean imo.

I've never had a problem using carb cleaner on my MKIII supra, nor on my CRV K20/K24. I've been using it for years without problem. Some newer TBs have more sensitive sensors and seals. If you don't douse it in carb cleaner you won't have an issue. TB safe cleaner is just a lot less harsh and take a lot more of it to clean imo.

Only relaying information I've seen. As I said in my previous post, I myself have used carb cleaner on the iac. It is just not the recommended cleaner. If it could potentially cause damage, it's best to only suggest the safe cleaners.

The issue is the no clean coating on the inside of the Ford throttle body. Carburetor cleaners can actually clean that coating right off. Once you do that, you'll have to clean the throttle body every six to twelve months.
Please note that the throttle body setups on other cars are different. What works okay on one brand can be very bad to another. For example, topping the gas tank off on many makes will cause expensive damage to the canister. It's nearly impossible to do this to most Fords as they are designed with an expansion air area in the tank and a valve to prevent liquid gasoline from going into the canister.

I had those symptoms on a previous car and it was the TPS

Members online

Back