RPM Gauge Bad!

gmatt82

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm a newbie to this forum. I've searched it as well for my question I have, but I didn't see anything that would be beneficial. I will be buying a Mark VIII from my parents, I hope and pray that they like the Acura they will be test driving from my grandparents this weekend. It will be great to replace my shagon wagon 1988 E-150 5.0 :) Great ride, but need to think more safety and since I don't have A/C anymore, that would be another benefit, oh and MPG since the Mark gets way better.

Anyways, I know that it has a new engine and new tranny. Those went out about a year ago while they were driving down the freeway. Some debris of some sort, not sure, got in the cylinder, which we, as in me and my dad, since we are some what car savvy anyways, thought it was quite odd and we started to blame the mechanic up at the ford shop for possibly sticking that in there, or letting it slide, b/c there is no way it should have been in there. Lets say, that part was supposed to be below the piston. So they got a new engine for it. Then the tranny went out while going up to Iowa and they replaced that. Oh, and my dad just replaced the air bags on the front, since they were going bad.

Ok, back to the issue. Around the time I remember, that the engine was going bad, the RPM gauge would be intermittent. Would works sometimes, more so when you gave it more gas, and not gradual. Now it don't even work at all anymore. I was wondering about this, since I might be getting it, and I truly like the RPM gauge as a tool for driving. Plus, sort of tacky with a guage that don't do nothin'! :) I hope nothing major and hope easy as well, heh. All feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

I guess would help for info about the car eh? '95 Mark VIII, hope that is enough.....hehe

What alot of ppl found out is that the glue that hold the gauge face in place over time has lost its stickiness and the gauge face has fallen just enuf to hold the needle from moving. What you have to do, IF that is what the problem is, is get the gauge pod out and move the gauge face enuf so that the gauge face is not hitting the needle shaft.

Go here to see what tools you will need, and how to remove the gauge pod from the dashboard...including taking the dash portion out as well.

I hope that helps......it has for most.

1wykdmk8 said:
What alot of ppl found out is that the glue that hold the gauge face in place over time has lost its stickiness and the gauge face has fallen just enuf to hold the needle from moving. What you have to do, IF that is what the problem is, is get the gauge pod out and move the gauge face enuf so that the gauge face is not hitting the needle shaft.

Go here to see what tools you will need, and how to remove the gauge pod from the dashboard...including taking the dash portion out as well.

I hope that helps......it has for most.

well, I hope that is the problem. I don't really want to seem pushy with my parents that I'm already looking into fixing it, so I guess we'll wait and see :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back