Rocker panel rust repair

cammerfe

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Reading here suggests to me that rust-out along the pinch-seams at the bottom of the rocker panels is common. I'd appreciate feed-back from those of you who have some experience along these lines. Did you repair, and what did you do?

Discuss---and thanks!!!

KS

The pinch-seams on the rocker panels of my LS were not that rusted, but I noticed some rust spots on the garage floor after a rainy day along the passenger side of the car between the front and rear wheels; the under coating peeled off i a few areas and there was surface rust, including at the jack lift points. I lifted each side on stands, brushed off the surface rust, masked off the area and sprayed the whole side with Dupli-Color Rust Fix; did that on both sides of the car. That should stop any further rusting. Dupli-Color Rust Fix goes on clear and claims to turn rust into a black undercoat.

When I made the changes for my Land Speed effort, I made an aluminum belly-pan. Since it's aluminum I didn't leave it on over the winters but it was screwed to the bottom of the rockers just inboard of the pinch seams. When I had to change a tire back in the spring I found the rockers to be perforated over much of their lengths. Perhaps having the damage starting with the screw holes.

I expect to cut away the rusted areas, going back to sound metal, and probably plate the removed areas with something about .125 or thereabouts. And perhaps use DOM tubing as well, tied to my roll cage perhaps?

What I'm now doing is a bit of research toward that end.

Thanks for the input.

KS

Members online

No members online now.
Back