resetting drive cycles for inspection

Lux

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I took my car through inspection and it failed due to not ready state...so im thinking its the tune playing the computer so I removed the tune and disconnected the battery, let it sit overnight and now i need to get it re inspected and its definitely in a not ready state so how many cycles/ how much driving do I need to do before I can take it back for reinspectiom?

Thanks in advance

I think its like 60 mi and 3 startups, just drive 100 to be sure. i think with obd2 you have to get the codes reset with a scanner as well. I think it is memorized in the computer. just to be safe i would run up to your local auto parts store and use there scanner to pull the codes and clear it.

Cool. Thanks I wanna see if anyone knows exactly via the shop manuals but ill give that a shot.

I don't think there are any codes to clear as there's no check engine lighy..but I guess ill find out when I go back because they couldn't even scan it and assuming it was the tuner cuz that def messes with stuff on the comp...im getting rid of it and getting an act anyway so it worked out for the best because last year I couldn't remove the tune but it came righ off last night :)

This procedure assumes you've got the reader attached as you're driving but gives you an idea...

NOTE: The IAT PID must be between 10-38°C (50-100°F) during the OBD II drive cycle to enter into all the OBD II monitors. The FLI PID must be between 15% and 85% at all times.

1. Drive in stop-and-go traffic with at lease 4 idle periods (30 seconds each) while observing the status of the OBD II monitor on the scan tool. If the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) , Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) , Evaporative Emission (EVAP) , Secondary Air (AIR) (if applicable), or catalyst efficiency monitor have not completed, drive on the highway at a constant speed over 64 kph (40 mph) not to exceed 104 kph (65 mph) for up to 15 minutes. Heavy accelerations, sudden decelerations and wide open throttles are not recommended. If the scan tool sends out a three pulse beep at any time, the OBD II drive cycle has completed. NOTE: Vehicles equipped with the EVAP purge flow system or EVAP vapor management flow system monitor do not require EVAP monitor completion to clear the DTC P1000. If the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) , Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) , Evaporative Emission (EVAP) , Secondary Air Injection (AIR) (if applicable), or catalyst efficiency monitor has not completed, perform the corresponding monitor verification drive cycle.

2. Bring the vehicle to a stop and retrieve Continuous Memory DTCs to verify the DTC P1000 has been erased. Refer to Diagnostic Subroutine DSR6. See: Reading and Clearing Diagnostic Trouble Codes\Reading Diagnostic Trouble Codes\Diagnostic Subroutines (DSR) - Extracting Codes\DSR6 - Were Identical/Related DTCs Repaired During Diagnosis?

Addendum to post by Marcus

This will take about an hour of your time. This is intended to bypass the
engine soak timer and clears the P1000 code and resets the OBDII
monitor status.

After reading this, map out your route so you can take the appropriate
roads, sidestreets or freeways/interstate to get this done.

When performing the OBDII drive cycle, your tank should not be more
than 3/4 full but not less than 1/2 empty.

Alter your driving style in a smooth fashion accelerating with a steady foot.
This is important as to keep fuel slosh to a minimum.
Follow the steps as accurately as you can.

1) Begin drive cycle by starting the vehicle and let idle for 15 seconds.

2) Cruise at 40mph for 4 minuites. Bring vehicle to a stop.

3) Cruise between 45mph to 65mph for 10 minutes. Bring vehicle to a stop.

4) Drive in stop and go traffic condition. Include five different cruise speeds
ranging from 25mph to 45mph for 10 minutes. Bring vehicle to a stop.

5) From a stop, smoothly speed up to 45mph. Slow to a stop.

6) Repeat step 5

7) Repeat step 5

8) Idle in Drive position for 2 minutes.

9) In Overdrive position, Slowly cruise to 50mph for 15 seconds then bring vehicle to a stop.

10) In Normal position, Slowly cruise to 40mph for 30 seconds. Continue...

11) While in 40mph cruise, shift to Overdrive and speed up to 50mph
cruise for 15 seconds, then bring the vehicle to a stop.

12) Repeat step 9
13) Repeat step 10
14) Repeat step 11

15) Repeat step 9
16) Repeat step 10
17) Repeat step 11

18) Repeat step 9
19) Repeat step 10
20) Repeat step 11

21) Repeat step 9
22) Repeat step 10
23) Repeat step 11

24) Repeat step 9
25) Repeat step 10
26) Repeat step 11

27) From a stop, Cruise to 65mph, let off the gas - no brakes, slow down to 40mph. Continue...

28) From 40mph, Cruise to 65mph, let off the gas - no brakes, slow to 40mph.

29) Repeat step 28, then bring vehicle to a stop

End of Drive Cycle

Lux, Good Luck on your inspection

Ren/Octane

thats :q:q:q:qin retarded.....all that to clear a code thats not even a real code...

thank god, they just throw our cars on a dyno every 2 years and do a tailpipe emissions test, no safety inspection or anything....just a tailpipe emissions test...you pass you get your tags...

Good luck. I took mine in two weeks ago and it failed due to the car sitting to long with the same gas. Good thing the guy told me to just run new gas thru it for twenty miles and come back. He let it pass when I came back.

thanks everyone, thats tedious driving to clear that code...haha wow

Ive been driving it around town will try and put some more miles on it and take it up to inspection tomorrow. thanks again

i drove it like a normal person for a few days and i put less then 65 miles on it, if that (from the battery reset) and it passed this morning!

thanks again!

Members online

Back