Replacing Rear Bags

nsjuice

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I Can't seem to type in the correct search words..

I need a tutorial on replacing the rear bags on my 97.

or if it's simple as turning off the airbag system, and unbolting everything.. and reverse.

Please, direct me the right way. Before i order from AAS.

Thanks.

turn off air ride, jack rear end up, put on jack stands, pull off rear wheels, unplug harness going to bag solenoids as well as disconnect the air lines at the solenoids, take two wires and a 12 volt source, car battery, cordless drill battery.... hook wires to the solenoid of the bag, polarity doesnt matter you wont hurt anything. let the bag empty then unhook your 12 volt power source. take a 13 mm socket and undo the nut on the top of the sway bar end link , both side of the car, then swing the sway bar up and out of the way, now grab the air bag with both hands and twist it to unlock it at the top, reach under the lower control arm and push on the 4 release tabs on the bottom of the air bag and wala! take the bags out. its really simple.

When I removed my rears, I just jacked the rear of the car up and sat it on jackstands, removed the rear wheels, place the jack under the lower control arm just to hold it in place, unbolt the lower shock bolt, slowly let the jack down, watch the brake lines for too much stress, remove the solenoid clip, remove solenoid, releasing the air, remove the bag.

To install: Reverse order

If you don't know how to disconnect the airlines...

You just push the airline and the little orange ring in towards the solenoid, and continue holding the orange ring in and just pull the air line out. When you go to put the air line in make sure you get it in all the way in.

Thanks guys, that's a lot of help.

Ordering bags after I hit reply.

Thanks again.

I jacked the car up, took the wheels off, removed the solenoid clip & pulled the solenoid out, put new bags in, conected the solenoids & that's it. Never undid the sway bar or air lines from the solenoid. Took 30 minutes. This was on a 1998 Mark VIII.

I jacked the car up, took the wheels off, removed the solenoid clip & pulled the solenoid out, put new bags in, conected the solenoids & that's it. Never undid the sway bar or air lines from the solenoid. Took 30 minutes. This was on a 1998 Mark VIII.

wow. even better news! I'll see what flys.

thanks a bunch.

you dont have to undo the sway bar but i do it because it makes fitting the new air bag in the opening alot easier, it also make pulling the old one out easier too, do it however you find easiest i'm only one person here, there are 50 million ways to do it.

Jamie could probably give a play by play on the blend door on a gen 2 and make someone want to do it! My rear bags leak damn bad some days, usually going to work. When I get out I'll notice I'm a whole lot lower than usual. I want to save up and get the lowered coils so I'll deal with it for now

Members online

No members online now.
Back