Replacing PCV Valve

lamb88ert

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
In the maintenance guide at 100k miles it says the PCV Valve needs replaced.....dealership says cost is $70-80....the part is very cheap. I tried searching for "pcv valve" and "replacing pcv valve"....I for some reason have no luck finding these threads but you guys whip up links asap......idk what the problem is, any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, you dint mention exactly what type of vehicle you own.. before replacing any PCV valve first should test the engine under normal operation.. then go to your dealer for replacing it...

Depending upon the year and engine (mine is a 2000 v6), it's either simple or a several hour job. The early v6 is a several hour job. I have the detailed shop instructions that I can send if an early v6.

P.J.

My LS is a 2003 ultimate v8.....and in the manual it does tell me to replace pcv valve.....so im not too sure joegr?

The V8 has no PCV valve to replace. The maintenance schedule is a generic schedule that is used for most of Ford's cars. For example, it calls for transmission fluid changes every 30k miles, but there is an * on that line. At the bottom it lists the transmissions that it applies to, and the LS transmission is not on that list. It's scheduled service only shows up at the 150K mile mark.

Note that page 235 of the 03 owner's manual shows that the PCV valve is NA (Not applicable) for the V8. The owner's manual does not otherwise mention it.

Last edited:
The V8 has no PCV valve to replace. The maintenance schedule is a generic schedule that is used for most of Ford's cars. For example, it calls for transmission fluid changes every 30k miles, but there is an * on that line. At the bottom it lists the transmissions that it applies to, and the LS transmission is not on that list. It's scheduled service only shows up at the 150K mile mark.

Note that page 235 of the 03 owner's manual shows that the PCV valve is NA (Not applicable) for the V8. The owner's manual does not otherwise mention it.

wow, im glad you pointed that out. That makes me wonder if the dealership still would have charged me $70 to "change" it...lol wtf....great start to my relationship with my local lincoln shop....when i decide to take it there to do some alignments and flushes ill have to see what they say.

Ill have to read over the manual again, a little closer this time. Thanks joegr for the info.

I just purchased my 03 LSv8 a few weeks ago with 103k......What are some must-dos that youd suggest?

I had the dealership service writer once tell me that it was time to change the PCV valve while they were doing some warranty service. I said sure, but I didn't think it had one. (I knew the owner, so I knew I could get the charge removed.) I wanted to see what would happen.

When the car was ready, the service writer came back out and said that the mechanic had informed her that it indeed didn't have a PCV valve. I've been to other dealerships where I'm sure they would have charged for [not doing] it.

I just purchased my 03 LSv8 a few weeks ago with 103k......What are some must-dos that youd suggest?

Keep an eye on the COPs, check for oil. Change plugs if they haven't been done. Check on the front sway bar bushings - a thunk when going over bumps is the symptom that they've dried and shrunk.
Change the power steering fluid if it hasn't been done. Ditto for coolant.

Otherwise, just enjoy and let it shake out for a few months. It'll let you know what's wrong. :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back