Replacement engine options

FDR

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So I need to replace the engine. Simply put, at 71,000 miles the oil got low and spun a bearing in my 2002 V8. I now have rod knock on cylinder 7. I'm shopping for engines and have a few options. You guys have any opinions? I'd like to get this done by mid-late August, so I need the engine in the shop with two weeks and I'm looking for <100k on the engine, under 70 is better.

1. Ford reman, $5400 (omg no)

2. eBay from B and R auto (national junkyard chain), $800 shipped for an 84k mile engine

3. Junkyard motor from a more local place, $300 they pull it and I transport it, but mileage is unknown and the PCM is gone. They just know it was running. They also have suspicion about other junkyards (and the eBay listings) making up mileage

4. Jasper reman: used my zip and vin, says not available

5. I saw nothing special on car-part.com, mostly over 120k

6. Any other suggestions?

What is the difference between different engine codes of the same generation? About 6 different codes came up with only

ID-206-CA (Maybe 1D?), |
1G-208-CA,
2G-206-AA,
and 2G-208-AA

being listed as compatible.

I'm also taking donations. For just a dollar per member, you can make me happy

It should be noted I plan on keeping the old block and figuring out how to mix and match parts with a supercharged Jaguar engine to make ti work in the LS. While I only want two years out of the replacement engine now, life being life means that project may never happen so I don't want to have to replace the engine again due to failure within 5 years. Obviously some things are just luck, but that's why the Ford reman (if it's even actually available) is out.

If you just need 2 years, a salvage yard engine from a local yard would be the way to go. Make sure they warranty it for at least 3 months. If it runs that long and shows good oil pressure, it will likely last you the two years you want. If you want to be certain, throw in a new set of bearings while it's out although it shouldn't need them.

An alternative, try to find another LS. You can keep the better one as your driver and use the other for a parts car. Or, just drive the new LS and start on your buildup of the current LS. The new one can be a parts car when you're done.

Second alternative, just pick up something you can use as a winter beater, then get to work on your buildup.

If I had the room for another LS, I'd probably do the swap myself. We have 4 drivers and 7 cars crammed into what should have been 5 spaces as it is. I already had the Taurus, so that's my "beater" so to speak, though I try to treat it well. It's gotten more attention since the LS stopped being an attention vacuum.

While the junkyard/3mo warranty sounds nice, I doubt the yard would compensate me for the labor and the lost time, but you make a fair point.

>LSX

omg no.

Seriously though, I'm not trying to go crazy, just make it competitive with vehicles in the same class 10 years newer. That's the goal for the car overall, actually.

I've been doing a lot of research in the last two months with quite a bit posting to JaguarForums (hey, TiJoe) for the 4.0/4.2 and so far I have not gotten any info back that says "no, it can't be done" so I'm hopeful. I know it's all just talk now, but that's why I'm not throwing all my eggs in one basket and doing a normal R&R first.

It looks like the main differences, though, are just rods, pistons (lower compression), and intake manifold/intercooler/SC. Same crank, same block... only time will tell.

And money.

if you just want it temporary, then I would just go with what every junk yard has it the cheapest AND with some sort of warranty... then I would probably also have the tensions replaced while the motor was out and it was easier.

I have a spare 00' LS complete with PCM motor and tranny sitting a friends yard. I believe the mileage was 137k but i'll give you the whole car for $400 minus the suspension and some body parts :D. It's in pretty damn good condition though. Only thing wrong was the thermostat housing blew the cap. Other than that we were doing a few donuts waiting for the tow truck. PM me if you want to know more.

I have a spare 00' LS complete with PCM motor and tranny sitting a friends yard. I believe the mileage was 137k but i'll give you the whole car for $400 minus the suspension and some body parts :D. It's in pretty damn good condition though. Only thing wrong was the thermostat housing blew the cap. Other than that we were doing a few donuts waiting for the tow truck. PM me if you want to know more.

MMMMM.....DONUTS......I could go for a blueberry.....MMMMM

Frank, I keep on thinking about different scenarios for engines in Ls’s and Jags. I have my 03 Jag STR with a blown engine that I purchased over a year ago. It is still sitting there waiting for an engine.
I started out with the idea of building up a high-HP engine for the car. Since there are no performance parts for the engine, it all has to be custom fabricated. It took me 10 months to get 92mm Darton sleeves put into my donor block. (R.E.D. – Race engine Development. He is Darton’s primary contract sleeve installer, so my lonely, single, Jaguar block had a very low priority in the shop.) I have the block, and now I need to order custom pistons, bearings and rods. This build will easily end up costing $10K+. In the meantime, I ran across a 03 STR engine with 75K miles for a decent price, and decided to drop this engine into the car. I’ve already spent $1200 on additional parts to “refresh” the engine best I can.

Point is, if you rebuild your own engine, or have a shop do it, it will take 6 months to a year, and cost a lot of money.
- Purchasing a Ford remanufactured engine for $5400, doesn’t seem too bad to me for you to get your car running sooner than later.

Drop outs: Seems like all the Jaguar 4.2 engines and Lincoln 3.9L engines you see listed for sale have 75K+ miles. 4.2SC engines with lower mileage are out there, but cost a lot more. Expect to pay $5K+ for a good complete supercharged engine, and most of the time this is with a chopped/ruined engine harness, no ECM, and other accessories removed. 2006-2009 Jaguar engines are probably the best bet for a swap. Plan on a minimum of $6K to find one having less than 50K miles.
When you purchase an engine out of a wrecked vehicle, you don’t know how it was treated during its life. (Service and oil changes…)

Problem is, rebuilding or putting in a good engine ends up costing more than the car is worth.
On top of that, if you pump up the HP on an older car, probability is high that you will create problems with the rear end/suspension, transmission and other drivetrain related parts

Lots of possibilities. All it takes is time and money.
If I could do it over again, I’d probably look for that “hidden gem” car with low mileage and buy the running car rather than try to fix my old one.

Tijoe, you are consistently the best at shying me away from the idea. But you haven't succeeded yet. As far as cost of work vs value of car, that is not a consideration of mine. I like the car and have no plans of selling it. I would say (at this point in time) $4000 for an engine + $1000 installation + my labor (which is a hobby) is worth the ~150hp boost, with options to push it a little further. If all goes well, by time I reach the point of installation I'll have my own means of doing so.

Fudge, that is tempting. Unfortunately, I'm looking at probably an additional $400 to pull that engine, plus towing, plus storage, as I don't have any more room at home. I'd have to do some significant parting out to make it worthwhile. Though I have been toying with the idea of a 302 swapped LS toy with no electronics, just power and a nice chassis...

So now that the Taurus is back up and running (water pump impeller split in half), I'm back on the hunt for the engine. What should be the reading on a compression test?

Looking at the B&R auto wrecking site, they have (4) V8s for sale. One is 175psi all cylinders, another is 170-200, and another is 195 all. Those are $600-650. The 4th, which is $850 and is the only one that has listed mileage (84,700 miles), has no compression test results. But on the up side, they offer a 6 month warranty and optional 1 year (don't know cost). I would assume the 195-all is the best option excluding the 84k option, but that reported mileage is pretty comforting, assuming they wouldn't lie..

Don't know what the pressure should be on an LS engine, but you want there to be no more than a 5 percent total deviation across all the cylinders.

Though I have been toying with the idea of a 302 swapped LS toy with no electronics, just power and a nice chassis...

I can tell you one thing, if my motor ever comes out, I can guaren-damn-tee you that a British motor is not going back in!

My motor would never have to come out because I'd find the closest river, put it in neutral,
push at the rear trunk lid deck and say: "SEE YA, WOULDN'T WANT TO BE YA!"

Actually wait ... I'd try and see if I could pawn it off on Telco first, river would be second option.

says the guy that almost bough a new engine without any reason or need! :p

Brand new never before fired LS V8 motor that was ... it went for 1100$ - yup was tempting but passed it onto one of you yankees, whom then in turn showed us burn-outs of how he was gently breaking in that new Canadian market LS motor ... we laughed!

Only reason I didn't get it was because my LS shelves downstairs are not rated for that kinda weight.

My motor would never have to come out because I'd find the closest river, put it in neutral,
push at the rear trunk lid deck and say: "SEE YA, WOULDN'T WANT TO BE YA!"

Actually wait ... I'd try and see if I could pawn it off on Telco first, river would be second option.

Gee thanks. You never know who your friends are until you see who wants to pawn off their broken down trash on you.

he just doesn't want to admit it but after being in a 2nd gen now, he has grown so sick of his!

Stupid TPS, Ill never surrender to by-wire. :shifty:

Naaahh, I'm just in a 1st GEN slump right now with little time to work on it, seems a few items hit me all at once this season. The costly ones. You know the ones you get from lead footing it too much.

Stupid TPS, Ill never surrender to by-wire. :shifty:...

Perhaps not, but due to what ETC does for mileage, emissions, and transmission shifting, it is probably here to stay and is (or will be) on most cars. The LS was Ford's first attempt at it. They have probably gotten better at it by now.

My work truck is the same darn newest of technologies also Joe. This gear-down protection is enough to drive a man mad also.
Eventually I'll get around to have a proper look at our 03, it's confirmed it's somewhat significantly slower then some other rev-up 2nd GEN youTube vids I've seen.

+1

One thing I like about DBW is there is some neat potential there. For example, a dual throttle body could be programmed to duplicate the sound of the old 4 barrel carbs when the secondaries kicked open. I hate hate hate carbs, wouldn't go back to a carb for money, but I do miss the sound of a 4 barrel when you punch it. This could even help mileage, as one of the things that they do to help mileage on the V8s when they shut the 4 cylinders off is open the throttle body more, which reduces pumping losses by not sucking air through a small opening. A smaller primary that's almost fully open at cruise would have lower pumping losses. They could computer control the primary throttle and secondary throttle to open the big one and close off the small one as necessary to minimize pumping losses. And, under WOT they could just slowly open the secondary throttle and get the power and the sound.

Members online

No members online now.
Back