Removing/Installing Door Handles

GMAN

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I have never quite mastered the art of removing door handles. Does anyone have a good how to on this with pics. I would be most appreciative.

i didn't think it was that hard.. done it 4 or 5 times on my car.
i can see problems with big hands though.

take door panel off remove 3 nuts holding handle on un clip rod on bottom of door and it comes right out easeyer then it looks

This guide is pretty good
http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00148.html

I suggest removing the window guide and loosening the latch assembly in the door. It makes it much easier to access the little yellow locking tab.

Wow, that guide is not very good at all....

Anyway, I use what we call at work, a "scribe" with a 90 degree hook on one end to open up that yellow tab. It's super easy that way. It's about 9 or 10 inches long and reaches in there very easily. When reinstalling, I use the scribe to push it back in too.

My first one was easier then I thought. And i have HUGE knarly gorilla hands.

Mine was difficult only because of that yellow lock tab, and the rods. Other than that it wasn't bad. Although I effed with it for an hour, came inside, posted a need help thread.... went back outside and got it right off the bat. Lol

Yea, those instructions didn't help one bit. I need to change the door handle on my son's passenger door. If there were ever a need for a step by step tuturial, this would be the one. Why is it that the simpliest things are always the hardest?

remove door panel, remove 2 nuts holding handle into the door, undo the yellow clip that hold the threaded rod, unhook the rod that attaches to the lock cylinder, remove door handle.

Yea, those instructions didn't help one bit. I need to change the door handle on my son's passenger door. If there were ever a need for a step by step tuturial, this would be the one. Why is it that the simpliest things are always the hardest?

Well...maybe you should do one;)

Pictures..step by step...

remove door panel, remove 2 nuts holding handle into the door, undo the yellow clip that hold the threaded rod, unhook the rod that attaches to the lock cylinder, remove door handle.
how do you remove the yellow clip

Great way I've found is get one of those paint can lid removers since the have a curved L at the end. Use that to pull straight towards the door hinges.

Great way I've found is get one of those paint can lid removers since the have a curved L at the end. Use that to pull straight towards the door hinges.

well got it done (kinda)

I was able to open the yellow clip with a fancy steak turner we bought years ago. I did have a problem with that other rod that is for the key that sets in the pink plastic thing, after I finally got it all out I just didn't hook that up. It works now and the button locks and unlocks so I am good with that Thanks Great8 for the parts.

Members online

Back