Remote Turbo DIY Build

htrdlincoln98

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm starting this new thread to make it easier to find when searching around. I am building a rear mounted turbo set up for my 98 LCS. The turbo of choice is the holset Hx35w, very easy to find, very reliable,and effiecient. A single HX35 is said to be too small for a V8 but I'm going to find out. I'm planning on running a single at first then adding a second in the near future if all goes well. While the engine has stock internals the boost levels will be low.

DSC00300.jpg

DSC00303.jpg

DSC00304.jpg

DSC00305.jpg

DSC00301.jpg

DSC00302.jpg

DSC00309.jpg

DSC00315.jpg

DSC00316.jpg

DSC00313.jpg

I don't think you'll be too happy with a single HX35, it'll work, it'll spool real low, but it's gonna choke out towards 4500-5k.. You'll be lucky to be in the 60% efficiency range.. Since you're going remote mount I doubt you'll be intercooling it, but you're going to see some pretty toasty IAT's. Meth would be a good idea..

A pair, however, you'll have more top end than you'll ever need in the ~74% range.

I cann't wait to see some progress as well.

One turbo will be restrictive but we will see. Some have run singles on 350 motors with good results. I'm hoping the 60mm wastegate will vent off enough exhaust to keep the motor breathin?? Twins will be the hot ticket tho. I am intercooled pics show the one. Its small but 4" thick so it will help. No meth is planned thats what the nitrous is for.HAHA

Lot to get done....

Alright got the Kooks 3/4 length headers installed today. Ran into a couple small issues while installing. When I got the headers I also got the O2 sensor extension. Well little did I know I only had th eextensions for the rear sensors.:( Doesn't really help because I don't run them. So I find out that the front sensors need longer leads as well. Cannt use the extensions I have.
Second on the driver side the dip stick needs to be removed cause the headers have a one pieces flange. Well I couldn't get the dip stick removed so rather than destroying it I cut the header flange in two. Problem solved. Many headers use multiple flanges I don't think it will be an issue.

New motor mounts installed.

Valve covers removed and resealed. The plug wells were getting oily.

I took the oil pressure sending unit to get a T fitting. This is where I will run the oil to the rear. This is the last thing before the cradle and motor are bolted back into place. Then the fun part the TUBING.

You don't need both sets of O2s.

What do you mean?

I'm not useing rear sensors. The fronts need longer leads. I made longer leads on the stock sensors. The front and rear sensors have different plugs so I couldn't use the extensions I had.

Heres the exhaust so far. Between the two 3" pieces I'm going to use a band clamp so its easy to remove. The T at the end will be extended to each turbo. It is a single 3" into a 2.5" 90* bend.

The last pic is the oil line that will be run to the rear. I am using 1/4" brake line.

DSC00334.jpg

DSC00336.jpg

DSC00331.jpg

Subscribed here as well, lookin good so far, what are you planning to use to return the oil?

Almost finished with the hot side. Ran out of wire to finish welding, the tail pipes are all that is left. I plan on using my original tips to make it look as stock as possible.;) Now I'm gonna work on mounting the IC.

DSC00421.jpg

DSC00424.jpg

Members online

Back